Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Sorry I was not the one to bring up or deviate from the subject, but you cited that VA trails are dangerous which is why you were instructed to get a partner or a dog (of which neither will truly "protect" you if that is what you are after to calm your parents' fears, as isolated trail cases have proven years' back - like in PA and GA). I have hiked a lot of trail. Seen and heard things too. And it does one better to know safety and rely on good common sense rather than relying on a partner (who can quit at any time) or dog, and in fact there are many good threads on the subject. You might do better to alleviate their fears by participating in self defense classes then and other avenues of protection. And if they've been involved in witnessing crimes that have hit too close to home, so to speak, they should also seek healing through counseling for it to get past this so it doesn't hold you back from what you want to do in life.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

hey there! this may be something i'm interested in, i'm 21, NOBO for 2012. Not exactly sure when I'm leaving yet, early/mid March is ideal tho, so I'm keeping my eye on this..

I am a 55 year old female and will be hiking NOBO sometime in March. Web sites such as this one and trailjournals.com are great resources for people, i.e., future hikers or parents of hikers, who want to know what the AT trail culture is like. Of course, it's not like the real thing, but some AT journals (can be) a fascinating, educational read. Three months ago I made an AT section hike through the Nantahalas and met several young women thru-hikers. They (we) were having a blast and were seldom alone, especially around the shelters. One of them (a college student) had her dad as a hiking partner for the first two weeks of her thru-hike. Besides the opportunity to spend time with his daughter, I think he just wanted to know the kind of people she would be around, as well as her ability to cope (on the trail.) He seemed to be having a great time, too, and probably felt ok when she kept going and he went home! I have a 23 year-old daughter, so I do understand parental concerns. However, what I discovered during my section hike was a thru-hiker "family" who kept a very watchful eye out for each other; my own "mothering instincts" kicked in gear several times! Hope to see ya'll on the trail!

Hi guys! I'm a female about to turn 18 and I need a hiking buddy or two as well. I wanna leave NOBO in March and my parents really don't fancy me going off alone. I'm in Georgia, right near Springer. So I would love to get in on this!!

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I want in! I want to begin with such energetic, positive women even though I will be saying "Vaya con Dios" pretty soon the first day. What I can bring to you is an addition that will bring the average age of the group way up. That might be helpful in calming some parental fears. Flame is right about all of us (both men and women) being a trail family. We are all partners when out there. You will just be amazed if you do not already know this. I am currently in rehab, working hard for a permanent repair, after I was broadsided by an unfortunate incident my first day this year. (Watch out for well meaning, mean people who think they are appointed by God to deter you from going out in the deep, dark woods with all those creepy people.) There is no more pleasant place to be in the world than on the AT if you are able to hoof it. And for those who can make it to SW Virginia area, I will be happy to work with you on your very important trial runs. This just has the feel of a very strong group. Carry on!--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

I was so excited to stumble on this thread. I am planning a northbound hike for next year, and was worried about having to go it alone, and worried about my family's reactions to that. So I would love to join the group as well!! See y'all out on the trail!

I am looking at a late February, early March start. I will be hiking solo with my german shepherd and hooking up with my brother from time to time. He will be meeting me to take my dog off the trail where dogs aren't allowed, then hiking with me for a ways when he delivers Kreiger back to me. I am a lot older than most of you and suspect I will be hiking very slow at first but, I wouldn't mind having a group to check in with from time to time before you all outpace me!

Also, paranoid parents don't ever get over it. I am 48 and I still have had to reassure my father that I won't be killed or fall down and die only to rot away un-found next to the trail many times since I started seriously talking about doing this. In fact every single one of my family members is INSISTING that I bring my dog despite my own reservations about taking him on the trail. People fear what they don't understand.

Default 2012 Thru Hiker

Hi every0ne I have been reading these post and thought I would jump in. I am 75 now and will be 76 at my start next year. I tried to hike in 2007 but only made it for a couple of days and got very sick. I later found out it was because I needed a 4 way by pass on my heart. I now have a pacemaker and everything seems to be fine. I have started working out to get more fit for the hike. plan to start out slow and and count hours instead of miles at the start. I would love to start out with someone who plans to start slow. Almost any time before the 15th of Match would be fine. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Tomman
    AKA Cherokee Tom

[email protected]

I'll join the group! NOBO March 2011!

I will be 56 years old and will still have to alleviate the fears of both my parents (in their 80s) and my husband. So the idea of having a "group" is helpful. Especially a group with so many cool old people
    Formerly known as Texas Phlox.

I've got the same kind of folks worrying about solo hike. I am 27 year old female planning to start in late March 2012. Can I join your partnership involving periodic check-ins, etc?

I'm 25 and planning on leaving early March NOBO as well. I'm debating about whether or not to team up with others. But, I'm excited to see you all out there! Good luck to all of us

Journal Entries

Hi,
    I did NOBO this year from Springer and had no issues whatsoever on the trail in the south. It is heavily travelled you will not be alone no matter who you start with. The only problem I had in the south was with my knee which eventually forced me off the trail first in Damascus Va then when I returned in Duncannon PA.
    If you start with a hiking partner set the time plans loosely agree to hike together the first week and then recommit as the hike goes on. Don't let yourself get into a trap where you are miserable because you are hiking with someone who is "too slw, talks too much, bitches all the time etc" beleive mt that stuff drives more off the trail than the physical stuff does. The AT is way more mental...it is hard working through the day to day discomforts especially in the early days. But the rewards are so worth it and you will make it if you stay focused. I'm going back out and finishing in 2012 knee allowing. Look for me out there. And this fall look for me hiking in Maine and at the ALDHA Gathering. I'm Debbie Dunkle, Head Dame Trail Dames of Maine. Trail name Pippi

2012 in-planning!

Hi all...I'm a 29 year old female and am starting a solo thru hike on march 3...I'd love to hook up with any (or all) of you. Meeting some friendly faces will be really comforting at the start of such a long adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Phlox View Post
    I'll join the group! NOBO March 2011!
    Oops! I meant 2012!
    Formerly known as Texas Phlox.

Images

Brother and myself will be starting march 15, give or take a few days ... we are both male but ya said either gender, i'm pretty much tossing my name into the thread only to say a few things,

The trail is safer than you think ... hundreds out thru-hikers and section hikers will be in groups start febuary and march ... never let anyone know where you're staying or heading for the day, always answer around the question, like ... not sure, might hit up the next water source and move on abit an see .. or, possibly the next shelter but in reality you'll camp past or before it ... never give away your position ... You WILL find a group that hikes your speed you can tag along with, OR simply go on your on way, but either way ... you WILL see other hiker's daily ... weekend warriors, section hiker's or thru hikers ... you won't be alone ... If in doubt, move away whatever it is that would make you un easy ... had more to write but since its 3am i forgot as i began that rumbling, lol ... maybe we'll see ya out there ... we might have my dog koa, but chances are he'll be staying home as i know how much work it is too hike with a dog and not sure i wanna do it for months upon months ... i got enough to worry about keeping my brother from hurting himself like he did last year hiking all of PA ... He twisted his ankle pretty good and i just remember standing there, turned around and was like .. are you done trying to make me carry you off this mountain ... lol, after that i obviously helped and gave him aid ... but uh, yeah ... hope to see ya's all out there .. OH BTW, in my experiance ... i've passed alot more female section and thru's in PA while out than i have males .. you ladies are beasts and impress me with your will ... take care everyone and here's to hoping march comes quickly!!! I love our hiking community, none better ... you'll witness epic trail magic and wide open hearts along the way.

Jason McElroy - aka darkage "subject to change on the trail"
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...06485526057330

Facebook Group - Appalachian trail hiker's

Hello All,

It's exciting to see so many interested people. Being able to tell people I'm starting with a group side steps the whole safety spiel which is just plain nice. I'm thinking about organizing an October hike of the Shenandoahs and wanted to see if anyone has any interest. I was thinking anywhere from 3-4 nights out and am open to any time that month. Any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by yari View Post
    I am looking at a late February, early March start. I will be hiking solo with my german shepherd and hooking up with my brother from time to time. He will be meeting me to take my dog off the trail where dogs aren't allowed, then hiking with me for a ways when he delivers Kreiger back to me. I am a lot older than most of you and suspect I will be hiking very slow at first but, I wouldn't mind having a group to check in with from time to time before you all outpace me!

Also, paranoid parents don't ever get over it. I am 48 and I still have had to reassure my father that I won't be killed or fall down and die only to rot away un-found next to the trail many times since I started seriously talking about doing this. In fact every single one of my family members is INSISTING that I bring my dog despite my own reservations about taking him on the trail. People fear what they don't understand.
    I see we are the same age! I'm planning a thru hike early March, would love to hook up with someone my age on the trail to hike with. Like you I'm sure I'm going to be slow to start. Would you like a hiking partner???? Let me know as I'm looking for one...

Hey All.........
    How does February 29, 2012 sound??????
    It's going to be a LEAP YEAR........
    Now just a time for all of us on this thread to meet in the morning on the trail.....
    I would like it much better to start with a group.....
    What date is everyone else thinking????

Images

I was thinking the first weekend in March, like the 2nd or 3rd.

Hello all!!! I'm very glad to have found this thread - I am planning a NOBO thru-hike beginning the first week in April (actual date to be determined). I would LOVE company/hiking partners in addition to just knowing that there are other dedicated and aware women on the trail. I am a 27 year old female and have planned on bringing my dog along portions of the hike, however, having an able and aware hiking partner is also something I'm looking for, especially early on and through Virginia (my native state).
    Please reply if you're interested in making a contact; I'd be willing to connect on FB as well as that is a great way to keep in touch.
    Good luck to everyone and safe travels!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++