WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hi, I have been following your journal. I atempted a thru-hike in 2000 at the age of 65. I also developed a stress fracture in my left tibia. My doc. told me I would be able to hike again in 6 weeks. My thoughts were just like yours. Couldn't wait to get back out and continue. Well it didn't happen. It was August before I could hike without pain.
    I regrouped. I decided to get in better pre hike shape and start again the following April where I had got off the trail, Fontana Dam.
    Started a new in 2001 from Fontana. It was not a thru-hike but I was back on the trail heading NOBO.
    I finished the AT that year. I walked 2000 miles with no further injury.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    Hi, I have been following your journal. I atempted a thru-hike in 2000 at the age of 65. I also developed a stress fracture in my left tibia. My doc. told me I would be able to hike again in 6 weeks. My thoughts were just like yours. Couldn't wait to get back out and continue. Well it didn't happen. It was August before I could hike without pain.
    I regrouped. I decided to get in better pre hike shape and start again the following April where I had got off the trail, Fontana Dam.
    Started a new in 2001 from Fontana. It was not a thru-hike but I was back on the trail heading NOBO.
    I finished the AT that year. I walked 2000 miles with no further injury.
    You made the wise decision to allow your body to fully heal and to coax it into even better condition than it had been in. With this strategy brought sweet success. Well Done

I got stress fractures on the PCT around mile 1500. I had to go home. I waited until the next year. I wasn't even planning to hike the whole trail, but during the winter I just knew I had to go back and finish.

So what I did was I plotted a crazy hike where I left my house right out my front door and walked to the PCT. The closest place to my house is Hikertown in the Antelope Valley right before you cross the Mojave Desert floor. It was about 120 trail miles from my house. It was a crazy adventure and I felt pretty darn excited to do it. My house is connected to the PCT!

Then, because the year I started the PCT there were a lot of fires, what I did was overlap a few hundred miles starting at Hikertown so I could get my trail legs, then I tried to clean up all the missed sections from fire detours, then when I got to where I left off, I did a complete thru of the remainder, no missed steps.

I know your situation is different, but I wanted to make the point that even with the way it turned out for me I felt incredibly proud of my accomplishment and very satisfied with my hike. I really did hike my own hike. In my mind all the preceding miles knitted themselves together into a single entity. I even read trail register entries from the people I remembered the first year, which sort of made it feel like I was still with them. I was not able to hike with the herd the second year and instead hiked completely alone. This also provided a sense of satisfaction and pride I look back on fondly.

Enjoy your return whenever you can get back out there!
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    "any advise on how to pick up an interupted thru?"

flowers and chocolates are all i know. and it dont work for me. mabey you will have better luck.
    Now there is an option I did not consider.
    You are never too old.

You fellow WhiteBlazers are the best. Thanks for all the good advice and encouragement.

Got back from the doc yesterday. Next week I can start on the stationary bike for 15-20 minutes a day. There is lght at the end of the tunnel. Also, I am no longer using crutches. Yeah!

Live to hike another day. That is what I am doing!!

BTW, it snowed here in central NY on Sunday night. I don't miss that too much. Well maybe just a little. lol
    You are never too old.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
    Chenango, I didn't even realize you were thruing this year! Sorry about the stress fracture. I know how frustrated I would have been if that had happened to me.

I think if you head back out this year, you should pick up in New England and head north, then flip-flop and hike south to Erwin. But at the end of the day (to sum it all up/to get right down to it/when all is said and done), you have to do what feels right to you, whether it is the "logical" choice or not.
    I remember reading on your blog about your knee problems in New England doing your thru. But you made it after some time off. You HYOH. I will do the same.
    You are never too old.

Hey, Pete. I left you a PM. I'm looking forward to some easy hiking while recuperating myself. When you get back on the Trail give me a holler, ok?
    Get better, friend.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Chenango View Post
    You fellow WhiteBlazers are the best. Thanks for all the good advice and encouragement.

Got back from the doc yesterday. Next week I can start on the stationary bike for 15-20 minutes a day. There is lght at the end of the tunnel. Also, I am no longer using crutches. Yeah!

Live to hike another day. That is what I am doing!!

BTW, it snowed here in central NY on Sunday night. I don't miss that too much. Well maybe just a little. lol
    How is the healing process going? I too fractured my Tibia just outside of Erwin, TN. My fracture is just above the talus area. It sucks!!!! It's been a little over 3 weeks and I stopped using the crutches today. I'm still wearing an air cast though. Against my Dr.'s advice I'm heading back to the trail on week 6 post injury. I plan to head north from Pearishburg and return later in the year to knock off the missed miles between Erwin and there. I know that it's probably to early and not smart but I just can't get the trail off of my mind. I'm going slow and if I feel any discomfort in the ankle at all then I will come off of the trail until another time.

I'm sorry about your injury. I hope you're recovery is going well and that you get back to the trail soon.

Images

Sorry to hear about your injury.
    The only advice I can offer is to not rush it. Give yourself time to heal and then worry about the hike.

I would go NOBO from where I left off, then jump up to K before it closes and go back SOBO for the last. You will meet new folks. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by FORTIS View Post
    How is the healing process going? I too fractured my Tibia just outside of Erwin, TN. My fracture is just above the talus area. It sucks!!!! It's been a little over 3 weeks and I stopped using the crutches today. I'm still wearing an air cast though. Against my Dr.'s advice I'm heading back to the trail on week 6 post injury. I plan to head north from Pearishburg and return later in the year to knock off the missed miles between Erwin and there. I know that it's probably to early and not smart but I just can't get the trail off of my mind. I'm going slow and if I feel any discomfort in the ankle at all then I will come off of the trail until another time.

I'm sorry about your injury. I hope you're recovery is going well and that you get back to the trail soon.
    Fortis, My fracture is at the other end ofthe tibia ... near the knee. Take is slow. I stopped using crutches too soon and it started to refracture a bit.
    You are never too old.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++