WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Journal Entries
    Images

I wasn't going to go there..... Old Hiker. I only worry when I hear Banjo's
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I've had dogs smarter than most people I know.
    I'll second that. My boxer, Bailey, can not only seem to understand the whole gamut of human emotion & intention, but he can also talk right back to me sometime. I'll say: "Bailey, what do you want?" to which he will nod to the door to go outside or chap his mouth if he's hungry, etc.

He also knows random commands like:
    "get a drink/get some water" especially when he's overheated in the woods and too excited to camel up
    "are you thirsty?" and he will usually react with the mouth chap
    "stay with me" when on a trail--but he also knows if I have my hiking stick or poles to stay behind me or at my side
    the difference between "lay down" and "sit down"
    "car ride" and he will go nuts
    and I'm sure he knows "want to go/ready to go to the cabin?!" he goes nuts

A truly amazing story about a dog in Maryland, simply unbelievable. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGQ0n0A71xQ

I wouldn't believe it if it wasn't documented by this lady http://sitemaker.umich.edu/barbara.smuts/donnie_

I had my dog at the vet for mastitis once. About 2 months after I got found her and she hadn't been fixed yet. The vet was a 30-ish girl. She's laying on the floor on her back and the vet goes to examine her tit and apparently the dog growled or nipped. I wasn't looking so I didn't see it. The vet jumps back as far as she could with a terrified look on her face (Ellie is a pitbull). I asked what happened and she told me.

So I looked at the dog and said "Ellie you scared the doctor, she's only trying to help."

Ellie gets up nice and calm, walks over to the girl with her head lowered and licks her hand. The vet is relieved and started petting her. After 20 seconds of that the dog, on her own, goes back to exactly where she was laying and rolls over to expose her belly on her own. No words were spoken to her. She never so much as winced after that despite obviously being extremely sore. The vet was floored. Said she never seen such behaviour. As if the dog understood entire sentances spoken to her.

That's a terrific story!

Young boys have a way of teaching dogs things they shouldn't. They taught the dog to attack when you ppoint at her, she's just playing but you have to know that. A big muscle bound man was over one night and the wife told him to point at Sindy Lou, she pinned him to the wall. The words, let's go to bed were also occassion to be agressive. When the wife got out of bed in the mornings the dog would get in bed with me and would not let her back in, good dog!
    Untitled-Scanned-59.jpgUntitled-Scanned-61.jpg

Journal Entries

My wifes family had a female german shepherd when she was growing up.
    The dog would not go to bed unless every one of the kids (4) was home, and asleep in bed. Only after she went into every room, and verified each there was in bed would she lie down in her normal place and go to sleep.

At bedtime her parents would tell the dog to "go check on the kids", and she would do it, then lay down by their bed for the night.

Images

My dogs freak out whenever I say "hike." It's their favorite word and mine.
    Daddy made whiskey and he made it well.
    Cost two dollars and it burned like hell.
    I cut hick'ry just to fire the still,
    Drink down a bottle and be ready to kill.

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

My Great Dane knows a few words.

Dump
    Run
    Ice
    Byram
    Sit
    Lay
    Food
    Breakfast
    Outside
    Bone
    Ball
    Rope
    Toy
    Daddy (me, people can ask him to go find Daddy and he will run over and stand in front of me or sit in my lap if i'm sitting down)

so exactly.

Nouns and Verbs.
    -Jason

Images

My dog is afraid of the dark, when I tell him to go outside at night before bed, he will run into his crate instead.

I have to treat him like a 5 year old and tell him if he is not outside by the time I count to three, he will be sorry. I will start counting, and as soon as I hit two, he will run outside. If its daylight outside, no issues.

Now if the wife or kids try it, he ignores them, unless food is involved of course, he will do anything for a bribe.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++