WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Chaiwalla in Salisbury, CT: Nice Spot for a Spot of Tea and Pastries, Trail Friendly

Yesterday I made the trek up to Bear Mountain in Salisbury, CT and was, as so often, greeted with weather changing for the worse. It was beautiful as always, but there was rain mixed with sleet blowing in from the east up top. Anyhow, nice thing was, on the way up I passed a couple from New York descending who highly recommended a tea room in Salisbury, Chaiwalla right at the intersection of Rts. 41 and 44.

I completed my hike a few hours later, then went looking for the tea place. The directions were imprecise and I didn't remember the name, and I wandered around Salisbury and Lakeville in my car looking for the tea room. No luck. About to give up, I googled it on my droid, found it and called. It was 6:01 pm. Mary, the proprietor, answered.

"Are you open?"

"We close at 6."

"Just my luck!" I explained that I'd been looking around for 10-15 minutes, that the couple (who were regulars) had recommended her, could she kindly tell me where she was so I'd know next time in town?

"I can serve you a pot of tea. Come on over." Then she gave me better directions. I was 500 feet away.

The room was magnificent. Mary serves very fine teas, a wide selection. I had soothing jasmine. If the three berry cobbler I had (I shouldn't've, but come on!) and the looks of the remaining sample were any indication, her baked goods are amazing.

Mary has met many thru-hikers, section- and day hikers along the way, has trail angeled and hikes herself. She and the remaining patrons made for good company. The room was of a medium size for a tea room and, as to be expected in Salisbury, very clean, tasteful and well furnished and decorated in calm earthy tones.

For a generous helping of the cobbler and a pot of jasmine I paid $12 plus tip. Reasonable for such a nice tea room - a worthwhile luxury for someone with weary feet. I highly recommend this friend of the trail to other friends.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

This side of the dirt
    Images

Is it part of the White Hart Inn?

Directions to it?
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Mac View Post
    Is it part of the White Hart Inn?

Directions to it?
    The Inn is in the middle of the "Y." Chaiwalla's driveway intersects the northside of 44 on the west side of 41. 44 is called Main Street west of 41, and Chaiwalla's address is 1 Main Steet. It's right across from the inn.

The inn itself is closed and up for sale, sorry to say. I'd heard great things about it. There are lots of nice-looking restaurants, expensive ones, about a mile south and west in the Lakeville section of Salisbury.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Searching for the White Hart I found it's closed (after 205 years!).
    Searching for Chaiwalla, I found this google streetview picture of a hiker across the street from it:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...272.38,,0,0.08

This side of the dirt
    Images

Thanks for your reply

I grew up and worked (years ago) in that part of CT for years. John Harney use to have a tea room and ran/owned the White Hart Inn.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

++ New Posts ++