WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    The FDA has no control over prepared foods and beverages other than food ingredients and packaging. They inspect factories and farms. They do not issue permits or inspect food on roadsides, not even on Federal land. Local or state health departments might if it is retail. Either someone is misinformed or making stuff up.
    I'm going with misinformed.

Trail Magic has become hiker spam.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Where the heck do you get the "trail is designed" thing?.....
    It's just an idea, picked up from 30 or 40 years working on, and helping out wth the trail. Do you think the trail just sprung up one day with no human intervention?
    The trail is the product of a lot of continuing work and a lot of continuing thought and planning.
    Last edited by weary; 04-17-2011 at 10:24.

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    It's just an idea, picked up from 30 or 40 years working on, and helping out wth the trail. Do you think the trail just sprung up one day with no human intervention?
    The trail is the product of a lot of continuing work and a lot of continuing thought and planning.
    Congratulations and thank you, but NONE of what you typed addresses someone doling out food in a parking lot affecting some sort of "trail design".

To say it is apples and oranges is an insult to apples and oranges.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    More than likely a county level Public Health Ordnance. One Cannot cook or prepare food for the consumption of the general public (other than yourself) along roadways, thoroughfares and bypasses or other temporary "facilities" without proper inspection, basic food preparation training and sanitation.

It's really more common than you think. In many areas one needs a permit to start flipping burgers/dogs for public consumption.
    Handing out a cold soda or snickers is likely not covered by most ordnance's. However, food that is being prepared from a raw state or not individually prepackaged usually is covered.

But I do agree. what you were hoping for was a "Roadside Feed", not "Trail Magic" and far from trail Magic.
    There ya' go... +2

I think many of those same ordnances/jurisdictions have exemptions, e.g., a wedding, large parties, etc., but those are for 'private' get togethers, not public feeds. Or so it is here in my part of the Wild West.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    What happens to the bears when the get fed? They get shot. Leaving food or drinks unattended anywhere in GSMNP is moronic.

If the Rnagers would do that to trap hikers who whine about not getting trail magic that too would stop.

I see alot of whining on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    I just read a recent TJ where a guy was hoping to see some trail magic at New Found Gap, but.............."It was another cool night about 40 degrees but great for the Smokies at 6000 feet. I left at 7:45 and got to Newfound Gap at 9:50. I was hoping there would be trail magic here but the rules have changed. The government says that to give away food or drinks you must have a permit and have it inspected by the FDA."

Am I trippin or What, These Clowns in Office are Out OF Control!!
    yes. and no. your tripping. our governments great. all rules that stink get old and stop stinkking soon enough with enough involved folks useing our magnificent arms of government to get junk done. id say, looking around me, this countrys frikkin swell. magic, no majic. signs, insultingly stupid rules,...all good. ill take two please. love my country. to death.
    matthewski

Images

Quote Originally Posted by turtle fast View Post
    Sir, sir . . . Sounds familiar)
    Made me envision a hiker getting darted and waking up on the CDT........
    Sounds like it'd save a bunch of gas money . . .
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

This thread is a complete non-issue and will have absolutely no effect whatsoever on anybody hiking the Smokies or any part of the AT for that matter. The only people it could possibly effect are those that claim to be providing supposed "trail magic" while accepting donations or charging while they try to live vicariously through those that are actually out there hiking.

this is still a pointless rule no matter wht he wantd feed or not...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    yes. and no. your tripping. our governments great. all rules that stink get old and stop stinkking soon enough with enough involved folks useing our magnificent arms of government to get junk done. id say, looking around me, this countrys frikkin swell. magic, no majic. signs, insultingly stupid rules,...all good. ill take two please. love my country. to death.
    I hope this isn't sarcasm, because I agree.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    I hope this isn't sarcasm, because I agree.
    I second that, we got it pretty damn good

its not possible it could be construed as sarcasm. it could only be construed as treasonis. witch i am not. i repeat, my contry and i are in love and have been married by a justice of the peace.i hold her very dear. not for a beautiful walk on appel orchard mountain or a campfire with miss janet at trail days. for my brothers and sisters who died handing her to me.
    matthewski

and if she becomes a quadrapathetic and looses all her arms of government and goes blind from bad moonshine and crack, i will download her core document into a new body and carry on.
    matthewski

Where the heck do you get the "trail is designed" thing?

I can see if it clogs a parking lot.
    The trail is designed to be whatever the hell you want it to be
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Journal Entries

Congratulations and thank you, but NONE of what you typed addresses someone doling out food in a parking lot affecting some sort of "trail design".

To say it is apples and oranges is an insult to apples and oranges.
    If the trail goes though a parking lot it is part of the trail. As are all road crossings. Not the wildest part of the trail, but a necessary part. Why should we not minimize the impact of a trail parking lot, just as trail designers try to minimize other impacts?

Of course, much trail magic these days is not confined to parking lots, or road crossings. Rather it happens along the trail, at stream crossings, and shelters.

BTW, the ATC maintainers bible, "Design, construction, and Maintenance" devotes two of its 220 pages to minimizing the impact of trailheads and parking.
    Last edited by weary; 04-18-2011 at 14:53.

weary - The parking lot at NFG is not as it is because of the AT anymore than saying Hot Springs exists BECAUSE of the AT.

That is beyond weak.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

weary - The parking lot at NFG is not as it is because of the AT anymore than saying Hot Springs exists BECAUSE of the AT.

That is beyond weak.
    um dude? wrong o. that perticular parking lot is our only stageing area for helo resupply and construction of all shelters public and private for miles and skyles.origanily funded as a lookout, it now receives funds to maintaine safe helo runs. and, weary is trail. so he neds to be kept nice too.
    matthewski

Made me envision a hiker getting darted and waking up on the CDT........
    Now that is funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

geek

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++