WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Katahdin Springs - Tent vs lean-to

I'm starting my SOBO in early June and am wondering if it's better to reserve a tent site or a lean-to with regards to black flies.

Also, does anyone know what happens to my reservation if the trail isn't open? Thanks.
    Trailname: Reboot

Quote Originally Posted by protargol View Post
    I'm starting my SOBO in early June and am wondering if it's better to reserve a tent site or a lean-to with regards to black flies.

Also, does anyone know what happens to my reservation if the trail isn't open? Thanks.
    It's Katahdin Stream Campground. Rent a lean-to for the night before and after your climb. Your reservation is for the campsite, not for climbing, so your reservation isn't effected by trail closures.

The lean-to v tentsite is simple, really. The cost is the same, but one keeps you and your stuff dry. You really don't want to start a week long backpacking trip with you and everything you own soaked. If the blackflies are a bother, use your tent as a bivy (no poles) over you and your bag inside the shelter.
    Last edited by TJ aka Teej; 04-16-2011 at 18:50.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    It's Katahdin Stream Campground. Rent a lean-to for the night before and after your climb. Your reservation is for the campsite, not for climbing, so your reservation isn't effected by trail closures.

The lean-to v tentsite is simple, really. The cost is the same, but one keeps you and your stuff dry. You really don't want to start a week long backpacking trip with you and everything you own soaked. If the blackflies are a bother, use your tent as a bivy (no poles) over you and your bag inside the shelter.
    Oops, I keep calling it Katahdin Springs on accident.

When do the blackflies start to settle down for the night? I may have a group of friends for a send off hike of the mountain, so this may all be moot, but you're right that I hope we don't have to start off wet, it's going to be hard enough
    Last edited by protargol; 04-16-2011 at 23:28.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post

It's been my experience they keep you
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    It's been my experience they keep you equally.
    corrected......................................... ..
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

Leanto.

Bugs shouldn't be too bad. It is an established campground and the woodsmoke clears them out.

Walkin sites might be a little buggier.

Your rez is for camping. You bought it. Even if you can't go uphill.

We have strict rules about the length of the work day for blackflies. About dusk they start to settle down and are home enjoying a beer by dark. The bad news is that dark isn't early in June.

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Your rez is for camping. You bought it. Even if you can't go uphill.
    Well now I'm a little hesitant about my start date. I can't risk getting there June 3rd and having to spend $30 a night for 2 weeks waiting for the trail to cooperate. Should I just hold off until we can get a better idea of what the conditions might be and make a latter reservation? It doesn't seem to be filling up anytime soon.

I would hold off, June usually isnt that busy in the park and as long as you aree flexible by a couple of days in case is busy on a weekend, there shouldnt be an issue in getting a spot Most of the early birds have already locked in their reservations already. Plus 20% of the campground is held open until two weeks before the date for Maine residents, if they dont book them than anyone can with a credit card.

++ New Posts ++