WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default First Aid Kit & Training

ok...Here is one I am very passionate about. I am an Emergency Medical Responder (almost equal to an EMT) (Not by trade, just something I wanted to learn) and I am a Certified First Aid/CPR/AED Instructor...Soon to be an Instructor in Wilderness First Aid.

Question one: Do you carry a first aid kit? If so, is it smart to leave things out that you may need for the sake of being Ultra Light?

Question two: Do you know how to use what is in the kit?

Question three: Have you had any formal training?

Question four: Could you save a life on the trail?
    Lead, Follow or get smacked in the head with my Trekking Pole! www.mybackpackingblog.org

Images

I carry a small first aid kit with pretty much just the basics. Some bandaids, antiseptic, mole skin, a small roll of tape. I have taken first aid and cpr. My thoughts are that if something very serious happens it will be prudent to get to medical attention off the trail. I also carry duct tape and paracord so it would be pretty easy to improvise splints.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

I have thought about this same question for quite some time, and I have come to the conclusion that I carry the typical band-aids, one SAM splint, duct tape, and usually a few Motrin, but a full blown first aid kit (as far as I am concerned) would be way too involved and way too damn heavy !!!

There has been one occasion I wished I had brought an extra 20lbs worth of first aid equipment, and a box of narcotics, but even with all the treatment I could have provided on the side of that mountain, there was still 2 miles of trail between where we were and the ambulance at Neel's Gap. I don't think this young lady's husband and I could have carried her out without causing more damage/pain than already had been done.

I think the key is realizing that while capable of rendering care in the field, without transportation immediately available, you are limited as to what you can EFFECTIVELY do. I try to keep my first aid kit simple, practical and small.

Garlic
    Images

I'm a retired firefighter and First Responder. Could I save a life on the trail? That depends. I can do my best to secure the scene from other hazards, prevent further injuries to the patient and others on scene, open an airway, stop bleeding, perform rescue breathing, and do my best to arrange transport. I know from painful experience that a heart attack in the wilderness is probably going to defeat my best efforts.

Your effectiveness in an emergency is more a matter of training and cool-headedness, not your first aid kit.

It sounds like you're carrying the kit to help others. You've probably been taught that one of the things to do if you encounter a medical emergency is to rifle the patient's pack. Look in his/her first aid kit and use it first. You learn his/her medical needs and save your own kit.

One of the times I was asked to evaluate another hiker's pack for weight savings, I found a very heavy first aid kit, two or three pounds worth. It had epi pens, among other things. When I asked him what he was allergic too, he said, "Nothing, it's in case someone else needs it." When I asked him if it was fairly likely a severely allergic hiker would be carrying his or her own epi pens, he got a look of realization and put the pens away.

My kit weighs only a few ounces and contains tweezers, needle and thread, athletic tape, a few bandaids, a small tube of Neosporin. My bandanna is my dressing material and my duct tape could help make a splint. I have never needed any meds on the trail, not even pain relief, so I don't carry any. Anyone who normally needs those things should carry them.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    I carry a small first aid kit with pretty much just the basics. Some bandaids, antiseptic, mole skin, a small roll of tape. I have taken first aid and cpr. My thoughts are that if something very serious happens it will be prudent to get to medical attention off the trail. I also carry duct tape and paracord so it would be pretty easy to improvise splints.
    10-4..."off the trail"...could be a long ways in some situations as you know. I just don't ever want to be caught in a situation where I wish I could have done this or that and it resulting in something horrible. Off course...there are some things you just can't fix on the trail......Like say....a bear biting your trail mates head off...yeah..that would need some high level attention than what I could give...haha...
    Lead, Follow or get smacked in the head with my Trekking Pole! www.mybackpackingblog.org

Quote Originally Posted by mybackpackingblog View Post
    10-4..."off the trail"...could be a long ways in some situations as you know. I just don't ever want to be caught in a situation where I wish I could have done this or that and it resulting in something horrible. Off course...there are some things you just can't fix on the trail......Like say....a bear biting your trail mates head off...yeah..that would need some high level attention than what I could give...haha...
    By your nature (I can tell that by your training) you are going to always feel you could have/should have done more. Above all else, remember to do no harm, and what ever you do, don't become a second victim trying to render aid to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by cavediver256 View Post
    By your nature (I can tell that by your training) you are going to always feel you could have/should have done more. Above all else, remember to do no harm, and what ever you do, don't become a second victim trying to render aid to someone else.
    That's good advice my friend...that's one of the first things I teach people...scene safety, do no additional harm and you are #1...don't become a victim...

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I'm a retired firefighter and First Responder. Could I save a life on the trail? That depends. I can do my best to secure the scene from other hazards, prevent further injuries to the patient and others on scene, open an airway, stop bleeding, perform rescue breathing, and do my best to arrange transport. I know from painful experience that a heart attack in the wilderness is probably going to defeat my best efforts.

Your effectiveness in an emergency is more a matter of training and cool-headedness, not your first aid kit.

It sounds like you're carrying the kit to help others. You've probably been taught that one of the things to do if you encounter a medical emergency is to rifle the patient's pack. Look in his/her first aid kit and use it first. You learn his/her medical needs and save your own kit.

One of the times I was asked to evaluate another hiker's pack for weight savings, I found a very heavy first aid kit, two or three pounds worth. It had epi pens, among other things. When I asked him what he was allergic too, he said, "Nothing, it's in case someone else needs it." When I asked him if it was fairly likely a severely allergic hiker would be carrying his or her own epi pens, he got a look of realization and put the pens away.

My kit weighs only a few ounces and contains tweezers, needle and thread, athletic tape, a few bandaids, a small tube of Neosporin. My bandanna is my dressing material and my duct tape could help make a splint. I have never needed any meds on the trail, not even pain relief, so I don't carry any. Anyone who normally needs those things should carry them.
    Yeah, I'm not gonna depend on what is in someone else BP to help them...really...there is nothing "life saving" in my pack...the most life saving things I have are my hands and like you said, a bandana...and maybe some stick...breathing and blood...the rest can wait...

Default Going to Extremes?

Question one: Do you carry a first aid kit? If so, is it smart to leave things out that you may need for the sake of being Ultra Light?

Question two: Do you know how to use what is in the kit?

Question three: Have you had any formal training?

Question four: Could you save a life on the trail?
    1- Yes, in a ziplock bag. "May need" is not feasible. Planning for every contingency requires carrying med supplies in a a tackle box and lugging an oxygen tank with mask.

2- Yes. Apply ointment/antiseptic, peel and stick wound covering, or swallow Vitamin I.

3- Yes.

4. That depends on a number of variables.

In Short...garlic08 said it right...skills will always outway what little bit you have in your bag...but...you do need to know how to USE what is in your bag...sure, most of the stuff is common sense first aid gear....but what about the...what if's? What if someone falls and is impaled somehow...you know...there are all kinds of what if's...I just thought it would be an interesting thread...btw...I use to carry a Military Field Soldiers Medic kit...it came is a pouch that was about 4" x 6" x 6"...can't remember the weight...lets' just say, I don't carry it anymore....being able to adapt and use the the things that surround you and all of your gear is your best bet...

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    1- Yes, in a ziplock bag. "May need" is not feasible. Planning for every contingency requires carrying med supplies in a a tackle box and lugging an oxygen tank with mask.

2- Yes. Apply ointment/antiseptic, peel and stick wound covering, or swallow Vitamin I.

3- Yes.

4. That depends on a number of variables.
    10-4...I keep mine in a ziplock bag as well...dito on the rest...

training is the important part...you can make do with alot of things as first aid supplies.
    Unless you are naked, you are wearing tons of bandages, the woods are full of splints. Learn how to control bleeding and 50% of you problems are solved. Most life threatening problems that you MIGHT have to deal with involve keeping an airway open and efficient.
    Learn first aid and you will be far more prepared than the person who has a first aid kit and no training.
    my kit: duct tape, ibuprophen, immodium and a 14g IV catheter....eveything else can be adapted.

geek

Images

I use to not carry much first aid until I cut myself last year while splitting fire wood. I carry just enough to clean and protect a wound of that nature. I actually thought about whether or not I knew enough to save a life the other day. I am looking to take a class just for the peace of mind. I am more concerned about a hunting accident than anything and while that may involve guns and there's really not much you can do in that situation besides get them to a hospital I would still like to have a basic knowledge of cpr, first aid, etc. etc. I don't think I could identify a heart attack from a heat stroke at the moment. I would hate to be in a situation like that and not be able to make good descions.

Images

I've been reading books about natural remidies and medicines found in the woods but it doesnt seem plausible at this point especially since you can buy proper first aid kits.

One thing I'd like to point out, I just got my CPR recertification and since CPR is usually only able to prolong someone's life, it's not likely to be useful to save someone's life if advanced medical treatment is far away. Rarely does a person regain consciousness from compressions and rescue breaths alone. A wilderness first aid class seems much more useful.

I personally just have Boy Scout training
    Trailname: Reboot

Quote Originally Posted by protargol View Post
    One thing I'd like to point out, I just got my CPR recertification and since CPR is usually only able to prolong someone's life, it's not likely to be useful to save someone's life if advanced medical treatment is far away. Rarely does a person regain consciousness from compressions and rescue breaths alone. A wilderness first aid class seems much more useful.

I personally just have Boy Scout training
    You are right...heart attack, etc. very likely on the trail...even it you are able to resus., how long before ALS (Advance Life Support) shows up?

Yes, Wilderness First Aid is awesome...find a local Red Cross...They offer it...it teaches you how to use your surroundings to stablize limbs, etc....evacuate...etc.

All I am try to say really...is...don't ever have to regret not knowing what do in an emergency situation with what you do have with you.

Images

I am a career paramedic with additional training in tactical medicine but no specific wilderness training. Personally, I carry a very basic first aid kit with a simple assortment of bandaging supplies, antiseptic, and ibuprofen more or less.

What will kill you quickly on the trail? Serious bleeding. Other than that, no other realistic or common traumatic injuries that you can get from hiking will kill you in the immediate furture. We need to focus on providing quality first aid, with our limited capabilites and getting proper help notified as soon as possible to effect an efficient rescue. A well packed load of appropriate shelter, clothing, food, and water will save many more lives than a tricked out first aid kit.

Acute medical emergencies, well, unfortunately in that environemnt you're pretty much SOL unles you have a chronic condition and have packed the contingencies (Epi Pen, Inhaler, glucose, ...)

I think it always pays to keep it simple and stick to the basics.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BadAndy View Post
    ... A well packed load of appropriate shelter, clothing, food, and water will save many more lives than a tricked out first aid kit...I think it always pays to keep it simple and stick to the basics.
    Excellent points and well said.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Excellent points and well said.

10-4...I agree completely...but you would also agree that if you don't know how to utilize those "basics"...your SOL as well...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mybackpackingblog View Post
    10-4...I agree completely...but you would also agree that if you don't know how to utilize those "basics"...your SOL as well...
    Oh absolutely, fundemental knowledge and preparation are paramount

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++