WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 3 Man/3 Season Tent Suggestions for BP

I recently went backpacking with my bride and I brought one of my Kelty Grand Mesa 2 man tent. We used two Stansport (20" x 72") air mattresses. NO ROOM AT ALL....It's perfect for one person and their gear...but not two adults...my two kids used my other one and they were fine. I'm not crazy about leaving my gear outside...that's just (ULA Circuit)...had to throw that in there.....So, I would like a LIGHT 3 man tent...I think my wife and I could fit, along with our gear...what say you? Any suggestions? We have a Kelty Yellowstone 4 man tent that fits us well...even using a queen size mattress...but way to big to backpack with...thanks for any advice!
    Lead, Follow or get smacked in the head with my Trekking Pole! www.mybackpackingblog.org

Images

You are going to get a lot of answers here and of course, it all depends on $$$ and your style of backpacking (ultra-light, light or mid - Is anyone really heavy LOL)

On the high end ($300 to $400) for double wall tents (traditional tent/fly) you might consider:

Big Agnes SL3
    Mountain Hardwear Skyledge 3
    MSR Mutha Huba (heavy IMHO)

In the mid price range (<300)
    Mountain Hardwear Lightpath 3
    Alps Zypher 3
    Kelty gunnison 3

Now if you really want to cut weight single wall tents are the ticket. While most don't come in a three person version, there are one or two that I am aware of. But consider leaving all but your sleeping gear outside the tent under a pack cover and a two person tent will work great for two.

For single wall tents check out Tarptent.com for the Rainshadow 2 (not 2 people, but version 2) and the Hogback (a 4 person tent).

Yeah....my heart is pulled toward the Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo right now...Choosing new gear is a very stressful thing for me...lol...fun...bu stressfull....
    Lead, Follow or get smacked in the head with my Trekking Pole! www.mybackpackingblog.org

I have one of the REI Cirque 3 tents, that has never given me a moments trouble kept me dry and comfortable. Just another idea for you to kick around. Although, I think we are gonna be making the change to hammocks real soon......

Quote Originally Posted by cavediver256 View Post
    I have one of the REI Cirque 3 tents, that has never given me a moments trouble kept me dry and comfortable. Just another idea for you to kick around. Although, I think we are gonna be making the change to hammocks real soon......
    Thanks for the tip...I will check it out...I love having an REI store within 25 miuntes of where I live!

Images

The Lunar Duo will provide all the interior room you need. If you really want a 3-person, the Rainshadow II is also very good.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Since you seem to go for mid level gear, check out the alps mountaineering zephyr 3. It specs well against many others and I love mine.

Tarptent Rainshadow 2

Hike smarter, not harder.

REI Quarterdome T3 is good for two. Or you might try a Tarptent Hogback? MLD Circus Tent?
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Lunar Duo would be my bet also

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

We picked up the GoLite Shangri-La 3 on sale recently. Fits both of us and our gear. 29 ozs. Has floor/mosquito net options.

http://www.golite.com/product/proddetail.aspx?p=sh6125
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    Since you seem to go for mid level gear, check out the alps mountaineering zephyr 3. It specs well against many others and I love mine.
    I love mine too and great customer service.

++ New Posts ++