WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast
    Images

Check out her website-blog. They just did a final update of the last 2 days to explain how it all finished.

Well done, Jenn!

I guess if I could ask Jenn one question (in light of the most recent postes), it would be what is her favorite King novel?
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I got my blood pressure up a little by a post over on BPL about her accomplishment. This is only a small excerpt from two of his posts attempting to belittle what she has done:

"But with the kind of support she received, a similar hike is within reach of a large number of people. Just need the time and money to pull it off."
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    I got my blood pressure up a little by a post over on BPL about her accomplishment. This is only a small excerpt from two of his posts attempting to belittle what she has done:

"But with the kind of support she received, a similar hike is within reach of a large number of people. Just need the time and money to pull it off."
    A telltale sign of either a clueless cyber-hiker or someone that feels threatened by her accomplishment.

I was at the Springer Mountain parking lot,drying off and getting ready to go home, just sitting there when her husband started to blare the music and they embraced and she cried. It was such a private moment I ended up averting my eyes to let them have it in private. I only turned back around when it got quit and she was looking for the continuation of the blazes. I pointed it out and watched he begin the climb up Springer, don't know if she heard my congratulations. She obviously was feeling the end in great spirits and it was her moment.

That is hysterical.

Images

Some people attempt to make their light shine brighter by dimming someone else's.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    A telltale sign of either a clueless cyber-hiker or someone that feels threatened by her accomplishment.
    I couldn't resist and had to reply.

Here is a perfect example of the kind of affect I hope this has:

First thing at work today I had a 26 year old African American male come up to me and started asking me if I heard abou this girl who set a record on the AT (he said in Georgia). Kid has lived in the city his whole life, was blown away by what he saw on the news and the things I told him. I already have him riding a bike to work (9 miles) a few times a week and now he asked if there were any trails nearby I knew of. Said he saw it he thinks on HLN.

Jenn, has the "if she can do it I should be atleast able to do x" thing about her for sure. That fact that we know how incredible she is doesn't matter. She with her look can inspire everyone at every level male or female. It seems less "superhuman" and more normal to the average onlooker so they think it is more conceivable that they could do atleast a fraction of such a thing. She couldn't look more wholesome unless she wore a sundress, had ruby slippers and carried a little dog.

On another note taking the obvious that many people at her finish were friends and family some here should think about there description of that scene maybe since it seems obvious that Jenn would eventually get around to reading this thread.
    Cory D

Images

Unbelievable.

I went over to reply and after reading the entire post I'm just unable to respond appropriately or with civility.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Night Fox View Post
    She couldn't look more wholesome unless she wore a sundress, had ruby slippers and carried a little dog.
    I can't imagine her wearing that on the AT, maybe at Trail Days it would fit right in. Maybe walking in the parade with an 26 year old African American. Then all the fat people could squirt them with the water cannons.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Unbelievable.

I went over to reply and after reading the entire post I'm just unable to respond appropriately or with civility.
    I gave up on BPL a few years ago. There can sometimes be some good info, but a lot of folks over there are clueless to the point that they can't begin to comprehend how clueless they are.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

OK, so it isn't the Boston Public Library. I found it anyway.

Basically, you have a bunch of gear heads at a loss to comment on her gear,
    which was not the focus of her feat, so they are pretty much at a loss for
    intelligent conversation. This reminds me of the music forum where there are
    317 threads of Eric Clapton's guitars, and not even one on the talent of the
    musician himself.

What. ever.

Images

Yes I read your reply Sly. Thanks and very well done. I should have waited and thought about my reply instead of hurrying off a smarta$$ reply "Yeah, Nick and when is your start date?"

Quote Originally Posted by Carl in FL View Post
    OK, so it isn't the Boston Public Library. I found it anyway.
    I would have posted a link to the thread but it didn't look like the url was thread specific.

Yes I read your reply Sly. Thanks and very well done. I should have waited and thought about my reply instead of hurrying off a smarta$$ reply "Yeah, Nick and when is your start date?"
    Nothing wrong with that. Half of my posts/replies are probably along a similar vein.

Images

You did good. That was the only halfway civil thing I could think of to say and since you'd already said it, I didn't bother.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    You did good. That was the only halfway civil thing I could think of to say and since you'd already said it, I didn't bother.
    The guy was a big Andrew Srurka fan, which I am too, but it's two different things, each with there own level of skill and intensity. While Andrew can do 5000 mile treks with a pack in a short amount of time, he may not be suited to break established trail speed records. I suppose if any one has a chance to break Jen's record, it may be Andrew.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    The guy was a big Andrew Srurka fan, which I am too, but it's two different things, each with there own level of skill and intensity. While Andrew can do 5000 mile treks with a pack in a short amount of time, he may not be suited to break established trail speed records. I suppose if any one has a chance to break Jen's record, it may be Andrew.
    Exactly.

Andrew may be able to do it or Karl may be able to do it or Squeaky may be able to do it or someone else may do it but right now Jennifer Pharr Davis is the man.
    Skids

Quote Originally Posted by skidsteer View Post
    but right now jennifer pharr davis is the man.
    LOL.....

argh. smilies suck. how do you make the big grin?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

What forum and thread is it under? I'm not a member but it looks like nonmembers can read it. You've got me curious.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast
++ New Posts ++