WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Teddy Bear in a hammock HikerRanky's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i bet she likes fried SPAM sandwiches
    You do realize that this thread is over 3 1/2 years old....

Quote Originally Posted by UCONNMike View Post
    Anyone else doing any special training before they leave for the AT? Can't wait to hear some responces....gnite!
    Here's the program I took out of a hiking book:

Exercise
    Sets
    Reps
    Purpose

ABDOMINALS

Knee in the air sit-ups
    Lower abs

Flat bench leg raises
    Upper abs

Crunches
    To your limit
    Recruit smaller abs

LEGS

Squats
    Quads, Hamstrings,Calves

Leg Presses
    Squat variation/ more control

Seated Calf Raises
    To your limit
    Strengthens calves

Reverse Calf pulls
    To your limit
    Strengthens front of calf muscles

BACK

Deadlifts
    Strengthen lower back

Hyperextensions
    To your limit
    Builds mass around spine

MONTH 1 Monday gym, Tuesday short cardiovascular exercise, Wednesday gym, Thursday short CE, Friday gym, Saturday long CE, Sunday day off (The focus is on CE start each gym day with an exercise bike or treadmill, elevating your heart rate to 70% of max)
    MONTH 2 Monday gym, Tuesday short CE, Wednesday gym, Thursday 5 mile hike, Friday gym, Saturday long CE, Sunday day off (Same focus as month 1 plus a hike. Carry a 30 pound pack for each hike, more than your trail pack weight. In the gym, add weight to your routine.)
    MONTH 3 Monday gym, Tuesday short CE, Wednesday gym, Thursday 5 mile hike, Friday gym, Saturday 10 mile hike, Sunday day off (the 10 mile hike is your intro to long distance hiking. Carry your 30 lb pack, taking 3 to 5 hours for the hike. Take a ten minute break every hour and stretch while on the break. Bring high carbo snacks and water)
    MONTH 4 Monday 5 mile hike, Tuesday long CE, Wednesday day off, Thursday 5 mile hike, Friday day off, Saturday 10 mile hike, Sunday day off ( gym time is over, muscles should be sufficient for the hike. Hiking more now, conditioning muscles, ligaments, and tendons for the trail. Once towards the end of this month, take a two day overnight hike spending the night and totaling 20 miles)
    MONTH 5 Monday 7 mile hike, Tuesday day off, Wednesday 7 mile hike, Thursday day off, Friday 12 mile hike, Saturday day off, Sunday 7 mile hike ( The focus now is entirely on walking. A day on and a day off, start racking of some miles conditioning your body to walking. Sometime during the last week of this month, take a three day two night backpacking trip hiking around 35 miles over the three days.)
    MONTH 6 An overnight backpacking outing each week Start the month by hiking a 20 miler on pavement with your pack. This will accent any sore point you might have, so you can correct the problem. Once a week go on a two day overnight backpacking trip covering 30 miles over two days. Over the course of the six months of training, you will have covered at least 350 miles
    It worked pretty well for me. I would add that the downhills were the killer for my legs. I would reccommend a lot of walking down steps and stairs. With this program the uphills were no problem, really.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerRanky View Post
    You do realize that this thread is over 3 1/2 years old....
    you do realize the poster was a spammer.... and where does it say we can't respond to 3.5 year old posts?

Images

It is right next to the rule that says Treet is nasty.

Images

I for one don't know why any threads are ever closed...keep em' open!!!

I trained for my thru hike by driving cross country for a month and eating as much fast food as possible to gain as much weight as possible...good thing too...I lost 45lbs on my thru.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Simple answer: The best way to get in shape for hiking is to go hiking

More verbose answer:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...425#post184425
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    I for one don't know why any threads are ever closed...keep em' open!!!

I trained for my thru hike by driving cross country for a month and eating as much fast food as possible to gain as much weight as possible...good thing too...I lost 45lbs on my thru.
    Considering I'm already a fat ***, I don't think that would work to well for me. I'm up to a mile a day (running), and walking another 3 miles. I'm also doing weekend "day hikes" with all the gear I will be taking with me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++