WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Trail Name: Cherokee Tom
    Direction: NOBO
    Estimated start date: March 1-15
    Approach trail: no

I tried to hike the trail in 2007 but had health problems. I started feeling bad the second night on the trail and started running a very high fever. I left the trail to see a doctor and found that I had pneumonia. While I was being treated for Pneumonia they found that my heart was not work very well. This started a long series of test and seeing many different Doctors. They ended up having to do a four way by pass. Then later they had to add a stint and then a pace maker. I seem to be in fairly good shape again. So now I once more have Springer fever. I have start working out with weights. I have also started checking out the new gear to try and lighten my backpack load. I will also start doing some long distant walking. Later when the weather here in Texas cools off I will start hiking with a backpack and testing new gear.

I hope to do much better this time. Is there any one out there that would care to start with me? I plan to start fairly slow and not count miles but hours in the beginning. I know for a while I will be taking a lot of rest breaks until I get my trail legs. Anyone is welcome to hike with me, in fact I would enjoy the company.

Hope to see all of you out there on the trail.

Cherokee Tom
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by slambellina View Post
    Trail Name: TBD..or maybe not. I already have a derby name, too many nicknames might give me an identity crisis.. Direction: NOBO Estimated Start Date: Not definite yet..probably somewhere from mid-March to mid-April Approach Trail: YessirI'm probably going to bring my dog..
    April 10 is my definite start date...not bringing the dog after all, but I will be bringing a hammock..

Default "The woods are lovely, dark, and deep . . ."

Trail Name: TBD
    Direction: Northbound
    Estimated Start Date: Early April
    Approach Trail: Likely

Yes, I probably will be doing math problems on the trail. But don't let that concern you, I can keep it quiet. Plus, who doesn't want to know how many steps he or she has taken so far?

Currently hailing from the DC area. Would love to go hiking with other 2012ers.

I am very excited to be setting out in nine months!
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Trail Name: Briar or Churchwarden
    Estimated Start Date: Early April
    Approach Trail: yes

I will be smoking a churchwarden pipe throughout the hike but i can't decide on Briar (type of wood used to make pipe) or Churchwarden (style of pipe)

Anyone from Texas hiking in 2012? would like to meetup and compare gear/tricks/advice and such.

Direction: Nobo
    ESD: April 1-15
    Approach: Undecided

My girlfriend and I are in the initial stages of the planning process and are growing very excited. I have already hiked just under 1000 miles on the AT and this will be her first adventure therein. We currently live in Brooklyn and and are both practicing Buddhists. Good luck to all who are undertaking this journey and see some of you in 2012!

Images

Trail name: Animal
    Start date: Feb 26th
    NOBO
    Approach trail: Yes

Trying this again… did not make it to the trail earlier this year, family things to do …but I am set on the AT for next year. I will be working with the Maine Trail Crew for the next month or two. Hope to see everyone out there. Good luck.

Trail Name - Pace Car
    Direction - NOBO
    Start Date - Not Sure Yet - Somewhere between March 21 - April 15
    Approach Trail - I plan on it
    I'm still not sure if I'll be able to get the wife's permission to go, but I'm hoping so.

My trail name is derived from a week long hiking trip when I was in Boy Scouts. About a month or so before we left, during a camping trip, my Senior Patrol Leader took me out during a "friendly" game of volleyball. I sprained my knee and had to wear a brace. So my troop leaders made me the lead guy to dictate the pace for everyone else. I like the name because I'm not in it to win it, I'll just keep the pace.

Mental Bird - I'm not from Florida, originally, but I went to college in St. Augustine. My wife and I both worked for the Mouse in Orlando. My wife's family is from New Smyrna Beach, and my folks retired to Clermont.

Beaver Meadows, Pennsylvania, United States

Trail Name - Haven't been named yet
    Direction - North Bound
    Estimated Start Date - Considering Mid March
    Approach Trail - yes
    Retired US Army (Soon), looking for some time of my own with out the drudgery of daily Military life ;-)
    To Hike or not to Hike, that is the question, my choice, my way, my time! HOOAH
    Patrick
    2012 hopeful

"People are a lot like Slinky's, Not much fun really, until you push them down the stairs"

Trail Name - Haven't been named yet
    Direction - NOBO
    Estimated Start Date - Feb 29th
    Approach Trail - yes

Trail Name: Olgybear
    Estimated Start Date: February 12, 2011
    Approach Trail - Yes

I'm all kinds of a crazy girl (bipolar and a recovering food addict, let me know if you are either of those as well!) going after a life-long dream before starting graduate school.

Journal Entries

Trail name: Bread or Digger I get called both. Direction: NOBOEst. start date: sometime in February when the forecast looks ok. Approach trail: not again. It looks like I'm gonna be selling my business, so I will be back at it. Instead of piecing it together I want to take my time and do the trail in one whole straight line. I rushed through it before. My goal is to potentially hike it with my luxurious 6 man tent. It would make for some fantastic camp time. Of course finding spots might be horrid. As for my hike plan, it's to have no plan. Having done the trail before I'd like to do things I missed before; aquablaze the Shenandoah , see gulf Hagas, do some fishing, spend an entire day on a warm rock and not care once of miles, or phony goals!Although starting in February is horrible as it was last time, I do want to stay away from the crowds of party seekers. February starters tend to Ne more laid back, older, and strong hikers. I am a strong hiker, steady hiker, and won't have a broken foot this time. I hope it's more fulfilling for sure. See y'all out there!
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Trail Name - Cheese Ball
    Direction - SOBO
    Estimated Start Date - Last Monday of May
    Approach Trail - yes

Plan on going with 2 more friends.

Images

Trail Name: Bloomer

Estimated Start Date: Feb 21
    Approach Trail - yes
    Looking to do this all over agian. Why? I love it

Trail name: I think I'll have to earn that one I don't have one I'd like to stick yet.
    Start date: Late March, probably 3-31-12
    Approach: Haven't decided yet

I'm really looking forward to the journey and I've been training with lots of long day hikes and a few strenuous overnights. Every time I just wish I had "one more day" in the woods. I'm SO ready!

Trail name: don't have one yet
    Start date: Mid-May, probably May 19
    Approach: might as well

I think I have put up the latest start date I have seen here. I am a college student, thus need to finish up with graduation before I get to move out from school and head to Georgia. I don't get the chance to go hiking or backpacking too much anymore because I race road bikes for the school and I ride every chance I get. I look forward to having a huge escape from society for at least 3 months next year as I head up the trail!

The extent of my training will likely be a weekly run to strengthen my feet and legs to the continual pounding of walking/running. I will be coming off of a 3 month long road racing season nice and tired of cycling, so it should be an excellent opportunity to hike. I am doing this as my last hoorah before getting sucked into the rat race they call work in the US.

Trail name: ReNew
    Start date: March 3rd
    Approach: What's 9 miles?

Three weeks ago I started planning/prepping for "My Hike" which is Seven months away. I hope to be taking my first steps onto The AT from Springer Mountain on March 3rd of 2012. Obviously I will be hiking north. My goal is to reach Mt. Katahdin in one piece(or two) before October of 2012.

Above I mentioned planning, not as in planning my every move on the trail, just gear planning. For example: The pack I plan to carry is 3 lb. and the tent is 3 lb. I will have shaved 7-8 lbs off by switching from my old gear. And Yes i am carrying a "just in case" tent. I refuse to plan the trail part of this hike. I know where the trail starts and I know where the trail ends. I am very excited about the adventures to come. I know this will be a very mentally challenging trek but not knowing what lies ahead, at the top of an up or the bottom of a down, will keep me going. Oh and some trail magic! (Like maybe a bunch of trail angels covering the bills in Denver) JK JK JK!!!

I live in Denver, Colorado and am from St Louis, Missouri. My long distance assistance, "BaseCamp" will be in Kansas City, Missouri.

I will journal as I go through a TrailJournal website (not sure if I can include the site here).

Appy Trails Y'all!!

Trail Name: None
    NOBO
    March-April time frame
    Definitely hitting the approach

So far I will be by myself but hopefully get one of my buddies to do it with me.
    Dustin

Registered User writeronthestorm's Avatar

Estimated Start Date: On or about April 1st
    Approach Trail: Of course

Gave this a go last year. I was already to rock and then disaster struck about a month before my departure. I re-injured my back and was down for the count. Couldn't even walk without the aid of a cane. Missed nearly 3 months of work... So... after 5 months of Physical Therapy I'm back in action. Definitely not back to 100%, but the doctors say I never will be. Iv'e done a lot of hiking over the summer and my back feels really good for the most part, so I'm confident that I'll be ready to roll come April 1.

Trail Name: im sure it wont take long
    Estimated Start Date: April 1stish
    Approach Trail: you better believe it

It's official now boys and girls, let the countdown begin!

Trail Name: Texico
    Start Date: March TBD

I'll be taking a leave of absence from the Buford, GA (Mall of Georgia) REI in order to do this thru-hike. After finishing I will (hopefully) transfer to a store back home in Texas. I can't wait to start!

Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++