WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: I surrender

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    That is the same answer every thread has when someone does not like a music instrument "playing", a dog pissing on gear, or someone smoking weed, or having a party, or too many jesus burgers? Go hike somewhere else? I prefer a little trail courtesy and space to hike my hike on any trail.

And people that have to work for a living or have families that worry about them prefer a little common sense courtesy from idiots. If you want to hike the same trail as someone on the phone, stop stopping to listen to their conversations and move on! I am almost a hundred percent sure that no one ever said you were required to sit down next to them while they talked.
    Maple

Images

I generally don't like cell phone conversations on the trail - I was out a few weeks ago and some weekend warriors were all yammering on their phones to their wives about what a grueling 8 mile hike they had done - they were checking weather and sports scores and stock reports and so forth - it does kind of bum me out - an discrete call, an emergency call or text is ok, I suppose.
    Obviously, groups of folks from the roads coming to the shelters to build a fire, party down and make noise and trash is the worst sort of disturbance and inconsiderate behavior I can imagine.
    I have always been able to have a nice quiet little party around a candle lantern - you just have to know what's up.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple View Post
    And people that have to work for a living or have families that worry about them prefer a little common sense courtesy from idiots. If you want to hike the same trail as someone on the phone, stop stopping to listen to their conversations and move on! I am almost a hundred percent sure that no one ever said you were required to sit down next to them while they talked.
    You are correct, I would never sit down next to you.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Some people need to get over themselves. Seriously.

My only pet peeve: Shelter Grafitti. Lots of people took a great deal of time, effort and expense to create a lil' safe haven in the woods for hikers. And alot of the craftsmanship is beautiful, why do folks have to screw it up? If I wanted to know you went thru there, I'll read the shelter register. Its ugly, stupid and downright disrespectful IMO. Momma taught almost all of us not to write on the walls since the time we could grasp a crayon, wth makes it OK to do it in the woods, if you wouldn't doit to your own house?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    Slow hikers who hog the trail and won't let me pass~!!!
    I've had to fight off the urge to jab em in the butt with my poles~!
    Make sure the baskets are on. You can always out-hike someone with a pole up their........... whatever!
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Make sure the baskets are on. You can always out-hike someone with a pole up their........... whatever!

Bah hahahahahaaa old hiker! I like you!

Images

Only thing that really gets me is when I usually hike solo and I'll run into someone every once in a while that acts like they are either too good to talk to me or seem to be scared of me. Like...wth dude? I know I have an outgoing personailty, I call everyone brother or cuz, and I'm bad about small talking people for no reason but I've come real close to thumpin a few people just for that kind of thing.

Nothing bugs me on the trail.

If I see or hear something I don't like I just move on, before it bugs me.

I ain't out there to let anything bug me..................

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    You are correct, I would never sit down next to you.
    Thank goodness! I want to enjoy my hikes!
    Maple

Good grief man. Why is it always an argument?

Well, this is the forum for concerns and issues, and there is no shortage of either. The OP was an invitation to list pet peeves. We all have them; how we deal with them is a happiness factor. We can choose to be happy on the trail, or not. I hope to meet the happy people I hear so much about when I hike the trail. I might even pack out some trash - that's how I was trained and I'm happy to do it.

The people who put on hiker feeds invest a lot of money and time to provide what they think is a valuable service and to recognize people they admire. Most of them aren't hikers, so it's probably out of ignorance that they locate feeds where it might not be entirely appropriate. It is understandable to me that some of these folks expect some appreciation for all the trouble they go through to cheer us on. As for me, I few minutes off my schedule isn't going to ruin my hike, and I can always stop, accept a piece of fruit or a drink, say thanks, and move along. For many of us, these feeds can mean the difference between a bonk and a pain-free day. I'm thankful, but that's just me.

Journal Entries

The presence of a cell phone is just another subtle intrusion on what had been a reasonably wild trail. I used to argue that just the knowledge that many hikers carry the devices in their packs is an intrusion. Now the practice of using cell phones has gone well beyond that. They are now used blatantly all the time.

Those that don't understand that their phones are an intrusion, simply have no concept of the nature of wildness and why it is important. But I've pretty much given up trying to fight these intrusions.

I, like John Gault, surrender to the overwhelming power of the .....

Yuo know what irritates me? Whiny little b!itches who think everyone else should conform to their concepts. I don't use a phone or sleep in shelters but I do plan to sleep near them. I hike from sunrise to sunset and too many times there's some 10 mile a day hiker who acts like I'm ruining his entire hike because I got up before he was planning to. Sorry I ruined your 9 to 3 day.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

If there was only one or two trail feeds every year it wouldn't be an issue. But early on, northbounders in particular get so much of it that they grow to expect it. A few get really pissed when they don't find it where they want it. This contributes to the entitlement mentality a minority of thru-hikers (maybe a few non-thrus too) adopt.

This entitlement mentality has contributed to the closing of hiker services like hostels and shuttle services year after year. Eventually, well meaning providers of services to hikers get fed up with the demands the "entitled" make for free places to stay, free internet, free food, and free rides all over the place.

If you want to cook a meal for someone, there are a lot more needy folks in Appalachia, not to mention big cities and small towns everywhere. There are food banks, soup kitchens, etc. you can help by providing labor, food, or funds.

Hikers might appreciate "trail magic" until they get so much of it that the "magic" becomes commonplace, but very few really need "magic" such as provided by big hiker feeds. It's better to let the "magic" happen on a one-on-one basis when a hiker is truly in dire straits.

Disclaimer: I am a reformed provider of food and other treats at trail crossings, as well as a recipient of same. There are better ways to help people who really need the help, and I've learned to pass most of the "magic" by.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
    Trash, trash, trash is what bothers me most. especially firepits being used as trashcans. Burning paper is OK by me but watching someone burn all those foil wrappers and plastic really sets me off. I have seen Whiteblazers even, people who supposedly have a love and appreciation of the trail, do it right in front of me. Justifying their action by saying it just "disappears". 1) no it doesn't and 2) what part of LNT and "pack it in, pack it out" do you not understand? and 3) do not feign ignorance and claim to be a member of this site. You should know better. Burning your trash in firepits is just a sign of laziness and apathy.
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by jcs1001 View Post
    Good grief man. Why is it always an argument?
    I disagree

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I think all you who don't see a problem with trail feeds won the debate, just by sheer numbers, but sometimes that's all it takes. I can't think of any thing else to throw at you, you won, I surrender. However, I'll still say, no thanks, to feeds and keep walking. I don't care so much about the feeds at road crossings, although I wish there was just a sign pointing down the road, but it is what it is. What I really hate is the badgering I get when I say, "no thanks", but more importantly when those feeds come into the woods, that's just wrong...but like I said, I surrender.

But I'm a little curious of how many trail feed supporters feel somewhat slighted when at an awsome overlook and someone's phone rings and then they start having a conversation. And there are many different variations of this scenario that can play out, such as someone playing a radio in this spot of that... or.... Are you'll alright with that?

I guess what my question is, what bugs you on the trail? What does it take to make you feel as though your hiking experience has been disrupted by other hikers?
    hike southbound & you can avoid all of the above.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Images

I myself dont have a problem with feeds.You can always choose to not partake of the offerings, thing is it makes me feel good to see that people are still generous just because they want to be.Its part of the experience of being on the trail.Another thing after spending 6 to 10 days on the trail with only what I can carry, a nice thick grilled hamburger out of nowhere always taste so darn good.Yea Im glad for the gesture.

Images

I really don't appreciate cell phones withinEar-shot

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++