WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Government Shutdown = Opportunity

I'm a consultant to Uncle Sam, and two co-workers and I have a 3-day hike planned for the end of the month. One came up to me yesterday and asked if we should move up the trip if we get furloughed. My answer was, "no, but we can add another hike!"

Images

I work at the CDC and been telling my coworkers that if we are put out of work then I am going to put on my pack and see how far I can make it going up the AT. Kind of looking forward to it really.
    ---Where ever you go
    There you are---

I hope the government doesn't shut down, but I wouldn't complain if it got rid of some dead weight.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I hope the government doesn't shut down, but I wouldn't complain if it got rid of some dead weight.
    Well, the question is who or who isn't dead weight. I retired from the newspaper where I had worked for 20 plus years at age 62 because I sensed that my bosses thought of me as dead weight, and I didn't want to spend my last decade of working fighting with those who didn't think I was competent. Luckily we had a union. And I had a wall full of plaques and certificants, mostly issued by reader organizatuionas, not newspaper organizations.

But I decided to step aside, with minimal regrets. and with some minor company benefits. I sensed I could have done more. But I'm proud of the land we have saved in the 20 years I worked without the help, or the restrictions, imposed by being a journalist.

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Well, the question is who or who isn't dead weight. I retired from the newspaper where I had worked for 20 plus years at age 62 because I sensed that my bosses thought of me as dead weight, and I didn't want to spend my last decade of working fighting with those who didn't think I was competent. Luckily we had a union. And I had a wall full of plaques and certificants, mostly issued by reader organizatuionas, not newspaper organizations.

But I decided to step aside, with minimal regrets. and with some minor company benefits. I sensed I could have done more. But I'm proud of the land we have saved in the 20 years I worked without the help, or the restrictions, imposed by being a journalist.
    You made a decision to retire early and chose to move on to other things that interested yourself, one being land conservation. Life is all about choices and what choices we each make as individuals. We can choose to work our life away, either by choice or necessity, or we can choose to work enough to eventually be able to retire and enjoy what years we have left. Even then though there is no guarantee that we will enjoy our later years or live a long life. The key is to live your life as you go, working to survive but also doing the things in the here and now that you enjoy to do when and while we still can.

Well, let's take this from political to practical. What happens to hikers who are in the GSMNP and Shenandoah National Park, or the short section on the C&O Canal in Maryland? Are they supposed to vanish? Blue-blaze or road-walk to the nearest exit? Aren't there protection-of-life issues? What if a hiker breaks a leg and there are no rangers or equipment available for an extract?

If someone has some official news about this, please share.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

All I can say is, glad our teen group isn't renting a PATC cabin in SNP this weekend, we have one outside the park or we wouldn't have been able to get in. BUT the one I did want was inside the park - but when I called it was already taken. All things work together for good.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post

Weary if anything you were THE MAN when journalism was just that..Now its crap IMO.. I have talked with some of your peers in that field who are now educators and they have expressed my same sentiments..Now I hope you get to enjoy the benefits of retirement...
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

As the talks continued, the White House sought to put the prospect of a shutdown in terms people would care about, warning even that the beloved National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade in the nation's capital would be wiped out. The Smithsonian Institution and national parks around the country would also be closed.

Under long-standing federal rules, agencies would not be affected that provide for U.S. national security, dispense most types of federal benefit payments, offer inpatient medical care or outpatient emergency care, ensure the safe use of food and drugs, manage air traffic, protect and monitor borders and coastlines, guard prisoners, conduct criminal investigations and law enforcement, oversee power distribution and oversee banks.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_government_shutdown

Looks like all the national parks will close, but emergency personnel will still work. Like us soldiers, they'll do their job and earn pay, but not be paid until the budget goes through.

I wouldn't get too excited--last time this happened I remember my dad was off work for a whopping 4 days...back to work by Friday of the same week I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
    I wouldn't get too excited--last time this happened I remember my dad was off work for a whopping 4 days...back to work by Friday of the same week I believe.
    7 days Nov. 13-19, 1995 and 21 days Dec. 15, 1995 to Jan. 6, 1996.

But that was then and this is now, so there is no way to know yet how long IF it does.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Sounds to me like a bunch of grammar school kids left their homework to the last minute.

I'm going on a hike. I'll worry about it when I get back.
    Simple is good.

Default Trail closed?

So if the GSMNP park is closed, will the AT also be closed?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
    So if the GSMNP park is closed, will the AT also be closed?
    No, but since the bears will not be getting their unemployment checks, hang your food higher.

I've been declared "essential" for two partial days if the shutdown happens next week. In the meantime, I've been looking into State Parks. There's plenty left out there, even if the NP's close.

What if your hike involves hiking in one of the National Parks, which the federal govt wants to shut down to save money? Yes, that's right. The fed govt wants to shut down museums, monuments, historical sites, and National Parks to keep the govt operating.

I guess open and operating NPs are not "essential" in the minds of politicians?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    What if your hike involves hiking in one of the National Parks, which the federal govt wants to shut down to save money? Yes, that's right. The fed govt wants to shut down museums, monuments, historical sites, and National Parks to keep the govt operating.
    In California to balance the budget they made cuts across the board, including state parks. They shut down many of the parks for a couple years. We still went hiking in the parks, but had to be more cautious because there was no rangers there to protect you from anything. There was also a lot of debris on the trails from storms, and overgrown paths because no one could come in and clear them. We also still left the money for parking in those little lock boxes at the gate, even though no one was there to welcome us in.

The money it takes to run all of those items in your post is a gargantuan amount. Granted there are PLENTY of other places the government can make cut backs on and still be okay, I am not opposed to the shut downs as long as it is fair across the board in every department, like in California. If memory serves, every governmental department had to cut back by 12%.

And I also find it important to note, that the parks they shut down were the "lesser" parks, not the ones that brought in tourism and paid for themselves. They didn't shut down ALL parks, and the parks were only meant to be shut down for two years, not forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Fog Horn View Post
    As the talks continued, the White House sought to put the prospect of a shutdown in terms people would care about, warning even that the beloved National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade in the nation's capital would be wiped out. The Smithsonian Institution and national parks around the country would also be closed.

.... protect and monitor borders and coastlines,

Protect and monitor borders?? Your joking, right? I think that shutdown the same day it started...

Come on everyone, we know this is just giving Obama another reason to go on vacation...he's taking the whole White House with him..Didnt you know that??
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++