WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

AGREED, there is a thousand uses for a cell phone on trail. Don't get me wrong, I agree with everyone about USING them on the trail, there is a difference. Your phone can also double as your GPS, your camera, your phone, your trail journal, use it for phone calls (business and pleasure, when noones around of coarse), etc. etc etc. I always bring my phone with me, it stays off and in my bag. If there is an emergency, I would feel like a complete tart for not having it with me because I wanted to 'maintain trail peace' or save 4oz. HYOH, thats all I have to say. Be respectful if you use them and for all of those who don't bring them, don't ask me for mine when you want to call the gear store to see what time they close, or call that little burger place 2 miles into town to see if you can make it in time for a hot juicy burger
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

I've tried a couple of AA battery rechargers for phones and have been sorely disappointed with them. Since there are quite a few out there, I am interested in hearing which ones folks have tried that have worked well.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mike View Post
    I'd rather hear a bear attack my food bag at night than a phone ring on the trail!
    Change your ring tone to the sound of Crickets.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by renais View Post
    I've tried a couple of AA battery rechargers for phones and have been sorely disappointed with them. Since there are quite a few out there, I am interested in hearing which ones folks have tried that have worked well.
    The phones generally charge at 4.5 to 5 volts, I haven't played with smart phones but most of them are in the 5 volt range. The whole idea of a AA battery carge was to get you back up to the point of a emergency phone call and that was it. - They were NEVER intended to get you fully charged.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by renais View Post
    Haven't used it, but the Brunton Inspire Portable Power Device seems promising. Charge it in town and it allegedly stores enough power to recharge a smart phone 3x. Weighs 5.5 ozs

http://www.rei.com/product/800240/br...e-power-device
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Images

I really don't like hearing folks making phone calls from the shelters - I also don't approve of all-out reliance on them - people who expect me or others to call-in or text them of my every move - it really detracts from the experience. That said, I do carry my i-phone on most long journeys - I keep it off, do not use it around others, do not "expect" service, and use it very sparingly - not to just "chat" for sure. I greatly prefer notes in shelter registers or at trail-heads - being able to call a hostel or a store or make some important communication is nice though - pretty new for me.

Journal Entries
    Images

My phone I just picked up was the HTC Inspire. Simply put the most of the apps are unneccessary but many of the apps really do help out on the trail. Check it out.
    http://www.htc.com/us/products/inspire-att#
    It is not the destination but the journey.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChillyWilly View Post
    Haven't used it, but the Brunton Inspire Portable Power Device seems promising. Charge it in town and it allegedly stores enough power to recharge a smart phone 3x. Weighs 5.5 ozs

http://www.rei.com/product/800240/br...e-power-device
    Interesting. I picked up a Solio Rocksta for my hike last May and it only gave me about a 1/2 charge for the Blackberry I had at the time. I used the BB to get weather reports on the crap that was headed our way. Came in very handy.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++