WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tent ideas?

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Default Tent ideas?

Ok, while I am looking for a lighter weight tent (current weights about 5 lbs), I am not looking for a small tent. I want a free standing tent that is very roomy for 1 person with good head room. I have been in "two person" tents that were two small. I have an REI half dome now.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

MSR Hubba Hubba seems fairly popular. http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/...-hubba/product

I'm a hammock person myself. But since you asked about tents, this is a large size tent that I've seen a lot of on the trail. Folks I talked to really liked it.

Try looking at the Double Rainbow tarptent at tarptent.com. It's free-standing if you use two trekking poles on the ends, and weighs 2.5 pounds.
    Last edited by map man; 04-07-2011 at 20:39.

i loved rangeley! but i don't live there.
    Images

i've got an msr hubba hubba. i love it! it's awesomely big for myself and my dog, so i'm sure for a solo, the hubba would work for you.
    "i ain't got a dime
    but what i got is mine
    i ain't rich,
    but Lord, i'm free."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stonedflea View Post
    i've got an msr hubba hubba. i love it! it's awesomely big for myself and my dog, so i'm sure for a solo, the hubba would work for you.
    Unfortunately, my REI Half Dome weight is 4lb 9oz (fully packed weight on scale) the Hubba Hubba is listed at 4lbs. 8oz. I kind of wanted a lb. Maybe I can't get without compromises.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

If ya wanna save weight, ya gotta go non free standing ... lightheart duo/solong6 or the msr carbon reflex 2 ... under 2 pounds for the lightheart stuff and 2 lbs 13 ounces i believe for the CR2 ... Tarptents are another idea ... or terra nova's hyperlite ... might be too small ..
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...06485526057330

Facebook Group - Appalachian trail hiker's

i loved rangeley! but i don't live there.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    Unfortunately, my REI Half Dome weight is 4lb 9oz (fully packed weight on scale) the Hubba Hubba is listed at 4lbs. 8oz. I kind of wanted a lb. Maybe I can't get without compromises.
    i wasn't very clear w/my post. msr has a solo, hubba model as well as the two-person, hubba hubba model. i was trying tosay that the HH is plenty big enough for my dog and our gear, so the solo msr hubba might be big enough dor you.

http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/sear...encoding=utf-8
    "i ain't got a dime
    but what i got is mine
    i ain't rich,
    but Lord, i'm free."

The poles and stakes alone for most larger freestanding tents will weigh 2 lbs.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Quote Originally Posted by darkage View Post
    If ya wanna save weight, ya gotta go non free standing ... lightheart duo/solong6 or the msr carbon reflex 2 ... under 2 pounds for the lightheart stuff and 2 lbs 13 ounces i believe for the CR2 ... Tarptents are another idea ... or terra nova's hyperlite ... might be too small ..
    I looked at the MSR carbon reflex 2. Saves the lb. I am looking for, maybe I have to reconsider free standing... But I love freestanding.... LOL

Images

Big Sky has a couple tents that will save you the pound and more.

If you have the dough, look at Black Diamond tents.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    If you have the dough, look at Black Diamond tents.
    Money is generally not a consideration

Images

I looked at the MSR carbon reflex 2. Saves the lb. I am looking for, maybe I have to reconsider free standing... But I love freestanding.... LOL
    Yeah, i did too .... Being able to dump the tent upside down to clean it and move it around easily was nice ... but i found even in rocky PA i don't have a problem staking it down ... the concerns of non-freestanding are over-rated.

But as always, personal choice is above all ... what about the BA seedhouse SL?
    I'm not a fan of the doggy door style tents, but its 2 lbs 14 oz trail weight for a free-standing.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...06485526057330

Facebook Group - Appalachian trail hiker's

FYI my MSR Hubba Hubba with minimum stakes, cut to length lighter cord tie downs, weighs in at 3lbs 14oz. , 4lbs with the foot print.

We also own a "Hubba" single man tent, same height as the Hubba Hubba, but much narrower and only one vestibule. this one with minimum stakes/tie downs weighs in at 2 lbs on the money.
    ~Christy

Oh and obviously these weights reflect leaving all the bags at home; i.e. tent bag, stake bag, pole bag, etc.
    ~Christy

Default SMD Vamp?

I just bought an SMD Vamp. It's on sale half price. To my eye, it looks likes the greatest solo backpacking tent ever invented, but for some reason I can't find any reviews on it and SMD is closing it out. There must be some critical flaw, but what can I say, I'm a risk-taker.

Size-wise, it's bigger than the Light Heart and weighs the same as the Lightheart and Lunar Solo, less than the Moment or Rainbow and barely more than the Contrail. It's double-wall, but unlike the Lightheart, you can use the net tent alone in an AT shelter.

Why these things aren't selling like hot cakes is beyond me. I figure it must be the name (aren't we all sick of the vampire craze?)

Have you checked out "Nemo's?" (Nemo Equipment) I have the Moto 1P and the Morpho 2P. Maybe the Morpho 1P will suit your fancy? If not, they offer many other choices. Just a thought, good luck to ya...
    "I'm your Huckleberry..."

Lightbulb Hubba Hubba

Another vote for the Hubba Hubba here. One great option about this tent (and I guess many other two person free standing, I just happen to have experience with this one) is that outside of black fly season you can use it as a fast fly set up. That not only decreases the total weight you're carrying but also increases the internal space you have to work with.

We went this route on our sobo hike and didn't have any regrets!

Images

Ok, while I am looking for a lighter weight tent (current weights about 5 lbs), I am not looking for a small tent. I want a free standing tent that is very roomy for 1 person with good head room. I have been in "two person" tents that were two small. I have an REI half dome now.
    Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    Try looking at the Double Rainbow tarptent at tarptent.com. It's free-standing if you use two trekking poles on the ends, and weighs 2.5 pounds.
    Yes, I think to get the room you want and lower the weight, you're going to have to look at a design that utilizes trekking poles.

Quote Originally Posted by darkage View Post
    Lightheart tents are very roomy for the weight, and the Wedge is semi-freestanding.

[QUOTE=stonedflea;1142264]i wasn't very clear w/my post. msr has a solo, hubba model as well as the two-person, hubba hubba model. i was trying tosay that the HH is plenty big enough for my dog and our gear, so the solo msr hubba might be big enough dor you.

IMO, the Hubba qualifies as a small tent, no? Good headroom for small tent, but very narrow when zipped up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomp09 View Post
    Another vote for the Hubba Hubba here. One great option about this tent (and I guess many other two person free standing, I just happen to have experience with this one) is that outside of black fly season you can use it as a fast fly set up. That not only decreases the total weight you're carrying but also increases the internal space you have to work with...
    HH is a great tent, but IMO it does not significantly do anything more than his current tent does. If I'm not mistaken, the half dome also can be setup in fast fly mode. You can also use a tarp (with bug net if needed).

So folks, can we get off the Hubba Hubba thing already?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

HH is a great tent, but IMO it does not significantly do anything more than his current tent does. If I'm not mistaken, the half dome also can be setup in fast fly mode. You can also use a tarp (with bug net if needed).

So folks, can we get off the Hubba Hubba thing already?
    The HH drops a 1lbs off his half dome - the point of his search. which is why it keeps coming up. his initial weights are from websites and are full packaged weights (even though he lists the HD weight based on his packing). He likes his halfdome becasue it has the room he wants and is freestanding, but he would like to shave a lbs off....which makes the HH fit the bill.

I have no issue with other tents and own plenty - but with that criteria....
    ~Christy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++