WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: A Cello?

Default A Cello?

Mark Trail reports here http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?ID=341372

about someone carrying a cello AND an electric amp...now I've heard everything!

Backpacker guitars that last about 150 miles until the humidity destroys the bridge and ultimately the guitar I've seen on the trail...BUT A CELLO?

Quote Originally Posted by MoodyBluer View Post
    Mark Trail reports here http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?ID=341372

about someone carrying a cello AND an electric amp...now I've heard everything!

Backpacker guitars that last about 150 miles until the humidity destroys the bridge and ultimately the guitar I've seen on the trail...BUT A CELLO?
    Maybe an unleashed dog will piss on it while he is providing his trail magic.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MoodyBluer View Post
    about someone carrying a cello AND an electric amp
    I saw the guy . . . I reckon this is his blog (unless there are 2 guys carrying cellos).

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Don't really think a guitar thread qualifies as a cello thread, Tipi...(the fact I just typed cello thread on an AT site is surreal enough).

Brewmaster, Pizza Chef
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    I saw the guy . . . I reckon this is his blog
    This is actually pretty cool. Check out the video "Cello by a stream".

Looks like this isn't the first time he's played in nature. There's video and pix of him with his cello at Crater Lake, Mt. St. Helens, etc.
    Everything is easy until you do it.

Images

A cello is ridiculous,

I can see an upright base....that would make sense.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

As a former upright bass player (converted from tuba), I wholeheartedly agree!

Hello? Cello?
    ad astra per aspera

Images

As long as he doesn't ask me to carry it I wouldn't care if he carried a cast iron bathtub.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Wouldn't the weather wreak havoc on his cello? I know that when I play my fiddle in the park, if it's a hot day some of the other fiddles have cracked open and when it's cold, we all go really sharp. Can't be good for the fiddle.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

So those Martin backpackers won't make it?

One of my mother's college friends became pseudo-famous for playing the cello nude wrapped in cellophane in the 60's and 70's. Face it - what do you do for attention playing a cello??? - not like you're in a rock bamd.

That I note on this website decades later probably justifies her act.....

Images

He did actually hike from Springer to Hightower Gap on the AT. I heard he took FS road 42 from there, but the blog speaks of a concert at Justice Creek.... Later he was at Neel Gap doing interviews... not sure how much of the rest of the trail he actually walked. Interesting idea, but the reality is hitting hard... Glad to find his blog
    Last edited by Red Hat; 04-10-2011 at 07:23.

As absurd as the idea is of lugging around a cello and amp sounds... he is actually quite good! It must be the heavy metal twist on his music

Quote Originally Posted by FarmRookie 2015 View Post
    So those Martin backpackers won't make it?
    They'll make it fine.
    I have carried a Martin BAckpacker for 3 of my thu hikes and the only time I had a problem was in the desert of Southern CA.
    When i took it back to Martin, they told me that the desert is the worse place for a guitar. (I too had thought it would be a humid, moist climate that would be worse)
    They replaced my guitar for free and asked me to try to keep it out of the dry climate.

I wish i was there to hear the cello dude.

I have jammed with the Tuba man, and with the aboriginals of Australia with my guitar as well as a penny whistle player in Ireland and the awesome washtub bass player at many ALDHA gatherings.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    They'll make it fine.
    I have carried a Martin BAckpacker for 3 of my thu hikes and the only time I had a problem was in the desert of Southern CA.
    When i took it back to Martin, they told me that the desert is the worse place for a guitar. (I too had thought it would be a humid, moist climate that would be worse)
    They replaced my guitar for free and asked me to try to keep it out of the dry climate.

I wish i was there to hear the cello dude.

I have jammed with the Tuba man, and with the aboriginals of Australia with my guitar as well as a penny whistle player in Ireland and the awesome washtub bass player at many ALDHA gatherings.
    Excellent. I intend to get one prior to my 2015 NOBO. Cheap enough even if it does melt.

The guy appears to really like to play, in other words, I don't think this is a "stunt" -- he really loves the cello. Some people are just bitten by the "bug".

BTW, why isn't cello spelled "chello"?

I admit to having reservations about this when I first heard about it. Then I met the guy. In addition to being a really nice guy, he's a very accomplished musician. I wish him well on his hike and so would anyone else who actually encountered him.

My grand piano doesn't fit in GoLite Jam so I was thinking of upgrading to the GoLite Pinnacle. Anyone ever carried 695 lbs in the Pinnacle? I am in good shape and would be trying to average ~14 miles a day including zeros.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++