WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Class of 2014

Images

Hello, I am a 2014er and I plan to do a solo SOBO ala the "Cool Breeze" itinerary, a modified thru-hike with two leaps. Start at CT/NY late April hike to VA leap to Maine then hike to CT/NY, then leap down to VA and spent the fall in the southern third and end up at Springer sometime in Nov. enjoying the foliage. I also will be hammocking along the way. Spring in the Mid Atlantic Summer in the Whites and Presidentials and Fall in the South.

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    I've got my Wonderful wifes blessing & I am considering a Sobo Adventure starting just after the 4th of July. Considering because I'm not sure if I want to walk away from my Real Estate Business for 4 or 5 months? I will evaluate it next year & make a decision a few month prior too. I don't plan on any mail drops so I can leave at a moments notice.
    You wouldn't happen to be the same "Boots" I met on trail last summer in Virginia near Wapiti, would you? Congrats on your upcoming thru-hike!

April 1st of next year is my target date to leave Springer Mtn. Back in '98 the wife and I sectioned hike from Springer to the High Lands of VA. So for this coming next year I have to get into SHAPE, lose 50 lbs and gain a few muscles. See you on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Busky2 View Post
    Hello, I am a 2014er and I plan to do a solo SOBO ala the "Cool Breeze" itinerary, a modified thru-hike with two leaps. Start at CT/NY late April hike to VA leap to Maine then hike to CT/NY, then leap down to VA and spent the fall in the southern third and end up at Springer sometime in Nov. enjoying the foliage. I also will be hammocking along the way. Spring in the Mid Atlantic Summer in the Whites and Presidentials and Fall in the South.
    I'm sure you're aware of this, The Smokies usually have their first snowfall in October and it's wet and heavy.

Be prepared.

Coosa

Images

I shall be thanks for the heads up on this.

Default Class of 2014

Hey all,

Also plan on throwing my hat in for a 2014 thru. Hoping to start April 1. Any one in the New England area looking for some company on some weekend backpacking trips over summer send a private message. I'll mostly be trying to finish up the NH 4Ks and dialing in my gear list.

Journal Entries
    Images

[QUOTE=Tenny;1448089]You wouldn't happen to be the same "Boots" I met on trail last summer in Virginia near Wapiti, would you? Congrats on your upcoming thru-hike![/QUOTE

Yes that was me Tenny & Thanks, you were all alone enjoying the P & Q of the shelter, then I walked in, then.... we were enjoying the P & Q & settling in for the night.......then the nocturnal hikers came in Great to hear from you & HAPPY SPRING!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tenny View Post
    Hi! I'm looking for a hiking buddy around my age and skill level. I'll probably be starting in late February or early March (2014) and hopefully finishing before the end of August. Anyone who's interested feel free to message me.
    Sorry, I just saw your post, Congratz Bacatcha on your 2014 Thru Attempt!! Happy Adventures!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

I as well am planning a 2014 thru-hike. I am looking for a partner or a group, but if I dont find one I am going solo!!

Hey! I'm a 2014 NOBO! Planning a start date of sometime in March or April! Possibly April 1st! Right now I'll be solo! So I look forward to meeting people! Also this wi be my first thru-hike!

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

Retired as of this past April. Will be attempting a solo SOBO 1st week of June 2014. My plan is for a very slow stroll down the AT. I anticipate being out for a full calendar year (June 2014-June 2015) I've got years of 4 season & wilderness survival experience under my belt, so the winter months are not a big concern. Was a tenter/ground sleeper for yrs, but just got my Hennessy Hammock & will be 'hanging' from here on out! Best sleep in the woods ever, IMHO...and proper rest is the most important aspect for me. Look forward to meeting as many of you as possible out there!
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

I just retired and I have been reading about the AT for a year. I hope to make a stab it it next year. I am new to the site here and I will be needing lots of advice.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishEamonn View Post
    I as well am planning a 2014 thru-hike. I am looking for a partner or a group, but if I dont find one I am going solo!!
    If you don't find a group or partner you will most likely find someone or a group that dose the same amount of miles as you each day , you'll find that group pretty quick.

I am starting NOBO early March, 2014. I have a lot of things to sort out first and no idea how, but I am determined to at least start. I have been looking forward to this for so long.

I'm getting ready now for a mid-February start NOBO in 2014. I'm planning more winter trips to make sure all of my gear and skills are ready to go! I've hammock camped for a few years now but mainly in the summer. This has been my first cold season with a hammock setup and so far I'm loving it. I'll be 24 by the time I start and I seriously can't wait for a few months of adventure. Looking forward to meeting you out there!

Got the stuff sorted out See you on the trail.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
++ New Posts ++