WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Class of 2014

Hey, Wind, thanks for letting me know about the link. I have no idea why it won't work, so I'll just post my list here...I've changes some things and made some purchases since I originally posted, anyway.

Also, I didn't mention that I am hiking SOBO, which explains the lack of cold weather gear and a zero degree bag to start. A lot of my gear isn't top of the line, and if it totally falls apart a few months into the hike, I'm okay with that and prepared to replace it. I would just rather not buy anything that I don't *need* to before I head out...also, I know I will get a better picture of what I'll actually want/need/use once I'm out there for a while.

Without further ado:
    Gear
    Gregory Deva 60 (5 lbs 11 oz)*
    Gregory Pack Cover (4.8 oz)
    Tarp Tent Notch (26 oz)
    Suisse Sport Adventurer 30 deg bag (24 oz)*
    Therm-a-rest RidgeRest (9 oz)*
    Trekking poles ( 16.1 oz)*
    GSI Soloist Cookset (10.8 oz)*
    Fuel canister (8 oz)
    Ursack Minor food bag (5.2 oz)
    2 Opsack bag—food/trash bags
    40 ft 3mm cord (3.7 oz)*
    Steripen water filter (6.4 oz)*
    Nalgene 32 oz soft canteen (2 oz)*
    Camelback 2L hydration bladder (4.8 oz)*
    Stove (3.8 oz)*
    Petzel Headlamp (2.8 oz)*
    First aid kit (4 oz)
    Clothing
    2 pair Patagonia Baggies Shorts*
    2 short sleeve (wool) wicking shirts (8 oz)
    1 long sleeve wicking/thermal shirt(6.5 oz)
    1 mid-weight thermal legging (6.5 oz)
    2 sports bras (7 oz)*
    3 pairs wool socks (7 oz)*
    Ankle gaiters (4.3 oz)
    TNF Venture Rain Jacket (12 0z)
    Marmot PreCip Full Zip Rain Pants (10 oz)
    Military Jacket Liner (8 oz)
    Fleece jacket (10 oz)*
    Salomon trail runners
    Crocs camp shoes (11 oz)*

Total base weight: 19.9 pounds

The * indicates items that I already own.

Anyone else SOBO 2014?

Images

My journey starts end of Feb. or first of Mar. 2014 depends on the weather. I wanted to leave this year but not able to. See everyone on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol A. View Post
    My journey starts end of Feb. or first of Mar. 2014 depends on the weather. I wanted to leave this year but not able to. See everyone on the trail.
    Carol, welcome to our year!

Catie Rae, I'm not the best to pick apart gear lists PLUS I may be rather unconventional. There are MANY gear postings that will tear that apart though. You can search in this forum for "Gear List" and the like to get more help.

Does anyone remember what time last year they put up the 2013 form? When do you think we will get our own Class of 2014 form in the thru hiker class forms? I hope soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenny View Post
    Does anyone remember what time last year they put up the 2013 form? When do you think we will get our own Class of 2014 form in the thru hiker class forms? I hope soon!
    Good point Tenny, time to write our friendly moderators here.

Registry for 2014 should open in April. All you have to do is look when the 2013 registry was opened. It was 4/11/12, so 2014 folks should have the registry opened in April. I too hope to be a 2014er or if circumstances change a 2015er.

Quote Originally Posted by Comet Omega View Post
    Registry for 2014 should open in April. All you have to do is look when the 2013 registry was opened.
    Thanks! I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Comet Omega View Post
    Registry for 2014 should open in April. All you have to do is look when the 2013 registry was opened. It was 4/11/12, so 2014 folks should have the registry opened in April. I too hope to be a 2014er or if circumstances change a 2015er.
    Last year's class is any indication of when they start next years?? Wow.

It's just another issue fallen in between the cracks of reason within this site.

MANY people who plan a thru-hike are planners.

It would be only reasonable to have our group available within 12 months of actually leaving for what to many of us will be the longest [and hopefully greatest] adventure of our lives.

This site wants to be successful.
    This site needs hikers who are enthusiastic about posting here.

Laying out the structure for 2-3 years in advanced is NOT unreasonable and will only get more people participating.

I've been a donating member up until January this year. I'd like to continue to support this site, IF I'm still here that is.

Journal Entries

I'm gonna give it a go, I believe in 2014. Planning on May 1, NOBO, i am retiring. but I may get impatient and go earlier. I've done many miles on AT. Have always had to work May to October so a true thru hike was never realistic before now.
    My gear is ever changing I have 4 of everything depending on weather. But I will likely take this
    Pack : go-light dawn 13z
    Bed: neoair 11z
    Bag: golite ultra 20 19z
    Stove: msr whisper lite 11z
    Fuel: 3oz
    Filtration:aquamira 2 oz
    UL Down jacket: 9 z
    Socks 3 pair = 9 oz
    Tent : BA fly creek 29z
    Hat: 7 oz
    Toothbrush 3z
    Toothpaste 3z
    Toilet paper 2 oz
    Spork 2oz
    Cup/pan 5oz
    Rain shirt /jacket 3 oz
    This is strictly what's in my pack. I don't carry extra clothes or soap, or batteries or extra fuel or medical stuff or anything. I am plenty ok on very little physical comfort, though I indulge in town.
    Im pretty gruesome to smell and will likely pick up a t shirt to wear in town, but with such a small pack choices must be made.
    I wear my headlamp, and carry my lighter and cell phone. This pack I listed is 8 lbs, which is low for me, but I'm usually in the 8lb (summer) and 12lb range (winter).

Im looking forward to this, hope I'm up to the challenge.

After almost 10 years being a member on this site and counting the days, I will be stepping off April 1st after retiring from the military. I have waited so long for this. It's almost here.

Images

Thru hiker 2014 late Feb early March

Stir Fry

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    After almost 10 years being a member on this site and counting the days, I will be stepping off April 1st after retiring from the military. I have waited so long for this. It's almost here.
    Capehiker I'll be couple days ahead of you, kicking off March 29th, but hope to see you at some point. I'm retired Navy, and will be retiring from the Concord Police Fed 1 2014.
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Stir Fry View Post
    Capehiker I'll be couple days ahead of you, kicking off March 29th, but hope to see you at some point. I'm retired Navy, and will be retiring from the Concord Police Fed 1 2014.
    Congratulations on your retirement, Stir Fry. I look forward to swapping sea stories.

Welcome, I am sure you will have a great time on the AT! I am sure you will meet up with lots of people whose names you recall from whiteblaze. Good luck! Wicked

I'm in the 14ers too. Been researching and gathering gear and reading here.

I've NEVER backpacked overnight before, but I've car camped and kayak camped and day hiked. I'm going to spend this year testing my gear....starting with the Katy Bike Trail (yes, I'm going bikamping), and then maybe the C&O Canal and Towpath + Great Allegheny Passage (not sure if I want to hoof it or bike it yet), then up into the adirondacks to mess around up there (hiking, biking, kayaking) and basically testing my gear and me. Plan on putting in some long day hikes, then build up to carrying a full pack on a day hike....then some overnighters.

Haven't chosen my tip-off date. Hope to meet great people along the way.

Journal Entries

Where is the thread for the 2013 class?

Quote Originally Posted by hikingirl View Post
    Where is the thread for the 2013 class?
    Here you go: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...-Hike-Registry

Journal Entries
    Images

I've got my Wonderful wifes blessing & I am considering a Sobo Adventure starting just after the 4th of July. Considering because I'm not sure if I want to walk away from my Real Estate Business for 4 or 5 months? I will evaluate it next year & make a decision a few month prior too. I don't plan on any mail drops so I can leave at a moments notice.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

My original plan when I retired in 2006 was to Thru Hike in 2014 since I'll turn 70 in early October and wanted to do so at Katahdin. I'm doing 1/2 the Trail this summer and will make my decision if I re-hike the Northern section next year or if I just hike the AT in 2 sections.

At this point, I'm tossing my hat in as a Thru Hiker in 2014.

IMG_3414.jpg

Hope the photo shows up.

Coosa
    My blog, dedicated to my Dad: Chasing the Trail
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

I'm planning on starting in early March 2014. Have been collecting or making gear for the last months. Been reading everything I can get my hands on. Dehydrating food and weighing EVERYTHING. Have become a Ray Jardine disciple of sorts. Hope to get several week long gear shake down hikes in between now and then. Still getting over some minor knee surgery but that's not going to keep down. Have got my pack weight down to 24 lbs excluding the camera I just ordered and food. That does include my cold weather gear that I will need in March and possible April. Then I can mail 3-5 lbs home until I hit NH. At least that's the plan.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++