WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Class of 2014

My first post here in WB. I have been reading a lot of post over the past months but have not chimed in. I am planning a 2014 NOBO as well and doing a few more hikes in Maine until then. Have done most of Maine in the past and of course Katahdin every year. Looking forward to meeting the class of 2014 when the time arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by mainemike View Post
    My first post here in WB. I have been reading a lot of post over the past months but have not chimed in. I am planning a 2014 NOBO as well and doing a few more hikes in Maine until then. Have done most of Maine in the past and of course Katahdin every year. Looking forward to meeting the class of 2014 when the time arrives.
    Welcome to posting Mike! Looking forward to making friends in planning as well.

Want to go in 2013 but graduating college in may and i am a nobo. so il wait for the bubble in 2014 now. Can't wait. March 15 ish

Until a 2014 class gets started here we have an unofficial group started on FB...http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/56380495208/

I just discovered the Class of 2014 thread and thought I'd throw my hat in the ring. I'm not retiring, just fed up with sitting in a cube. I'm working my butt off to save as much $$$ as possible to make this a reality. Was originally planning on 2015 but that just seems too damn far away, so I said Eff it, why not 2014?

And here I am.

Unless I get seduced by the Osprey, I'll be the dude with the bad-ass external-frame pack out there. See ya then!
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Double Wide View Post
    I'll be the dude with the bad-ass external-frame pack out there. See ya then!
    Welcome to the group DW!

And hey, can you save me a couple spots to hang stuff off your pack please? Nothing major, some socks, pillow, camp chairs, portable charcoal grill , and maybe camp shoes - thanks!

2014 NOBO is the plan, which is very early in its germination.

Planning to start the Trail in spring 2014, going to use the next year and a bit to study, train and generally get excited. Love the prospect, love the wild. I will be traveling over from Oxford, England.

Hmmm... Tomorrow, July 10th, would mark 20 months until I wander through the arch at Amicalola Falls State Park and start the approach trail. I've got a lot to do between now and then, but I'm wondering if it's too soon to start my trail journal. How obnoxious would it be to have like fifty or sixty 'prep' entries before I start walkin'? I say this because I was initially going to wait until it was exactly a year off, but I'm thinking about my first gear-shakedown trip this weekend.
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Double Wide View Post
    Hmmm... Tomorrow, July 10th, would mark 20 months until I wander through the arch at Amicalola Falls State Park and start the approach trail. I've got a lot to do between now and then, but I'm wondering if it's too soon to start my trail journal. How obnoxious would it be to have like fifty or sixty 'prep' entries before I start walkin'? I say this because I was initially going to wait until it was exactly a year off, but I'm thinking about my first gear-shakedown trip this weekend.
    Your journal, whatever that may be, is really for yourself.
    If you enjoy it enough, maybe we can too!
    Start where/when you will, and have fun with it!

~ Cheers!

Ideally I would be doing this in 2013, but unless my financial situation changes in the next couple of months, 2014 looks more feasible. I'm ready to go now, but my bank account has other ideas.

Wife and I planning our nobo as of last week, savings plan and budget created, March 2014 we leave just a few miles up the road, if all goes as planned.

Yep, 2014 is the plan for me right now. Still a lot of planning in the works, trying to time everything right.

I'm still up in the air about trying to start early (late Feb/early Mar) or start later (second week of May). Both have advantages and disadvantages. Part of what's driving my two options is only wanting to take one semester off. Leaving in early March would mean spring semester off but done in time for fall semester start in late Aug. Leaving in May would mean I could complete spring semester but would mean I would have to doing a lot of long mileage days with very few zero days to not risk running out of time/good weather.

I guess we'll see. I thought about a 2013 hike, but decided I need the extra year for prep-time, saving money, etc.

It's nice to see a group of people already dreaming/planning for hiking in 2014. Seems like a long way off, but it will be here quickly. Hope to see some of you all on the trail!

Anyone in WV, southern Ohio, or Eastern KY planning on a northbound in 2014?

Hey everyone this is my first post on WB (been reading for a bit though). I'm from NH and planning a northbound starting in early March 2014. A friend of mine is pushing pretty hard for March '13...but I just don't see it happening with work.

Iron Owl,

Ditch the friend and join our class! Ha.

Welcome to WB, and maybe we'll see you on the trail!

HEY THERE fellow '14ers.. In 2014 I am quitting my job and hitting the trail! Gonna be the time of our lives and it can't get here soon enough. Looking forward to living in reality and leaving this virtual reality.

I am new to this site and still figuring everything out...

Noob

Well my secret is out of the bag. I was secretly planning to go in 2014 and surprise my brother, Double Wide a month or so before he left. Thought I'd make it "official" now and utilize all the resources here for my planning.

Hello everyone, Ive finally decided 2014 will be my year! Northbound is the plan. Looking forward to planning, practicing, and collaborating with you all.

Wildman Fussell

March 1st 2014 all the way to maine baby!!!!!!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++