WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Class of 2014

Planning to start early March 2014 (as long as sabbatical is approved) NOBO from Springer. Have already section hiked from Springer to Newfound Gap to get a good idea of what it is like (including GSMNP in below freezing snow & ice earlier this month). Prefer warmer weather, but now know I can handle the cold also. Also planning to attend the ATI in May.

Stir Fry

Quote Originally Posted by Sevsa View Post
    Another retiree after January 2014. I'll be starting the first week of April with my wife who will be taking some time off from working to do it. I have section hiked about half of it over the years but my wife has only done a few small sections. Can't wait!
    Hope to see you on the trail. I'll be on Springer April 3ed. Congrats on upcomng retirement.
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Thanks Stir Fry, congratualtions on your retirement too. See you in GA.

A multi-year Big Adventure is in the works. The shock of realizing I am suddenly middle aged, divorced, and broke, and essentially no better off than I was in my twenties has caused me to reevaluate life's priorities. All personal progress over the last twenty years has been effectively nullified. Hell, I'm not going to waste another twenty years (assuming I live that long...you never know). It's time to make life worth living!

The Plan, Part 1: Demolish debt, save money, and get my crap together. Amazing progress is being made once I finally focused on what I really wanted.
    The Plan, part 2: Start the AT April-ish 2014. I'm not the fastest hiker, and don't expect to be speeding through. I would not be surprised if I never broke the 20 mile/day threshold.
    The Plan, Part 3: After completing the AT (my poor overweight and out of shape body permitting), take off on the sailboat for two or three years. If I finish the trail b October, I should be sailing away by the end of November. Time for some aquatic adventurin'!
    The Plan, Part 4: Dammit; but eventually the bank account will run dry and I will have to re-enter the world of employment. Not looking forward to this part.

Well your Moon isn't ending anytime soon.
    Welcome to WhiteBlaze posting!

I have a tentative Mar '14 departure.
    I am certainly NOT planning a speed hike, rather taking my sweet time.
    Therefore, there will be little to no 20 mile days for me.

Hope your plans work out and look forward to meeting you on the trail!

We plan on starting mid March 2014 to celebrate our 30th anniversary

I plan to start in March 2014, unfortunately I'll need a 6 month visa so whether I make it onto the trail or not depends on that.

Registered User HorseWithNoMane's Avatar

Starting after April 15. I have been looking forward to it since days of scouting. College, work, family, career put things on hold. Life allows me this opportunity so I am taking it.

Just checking in with the 2014 crowd. I made an attempt in 2011 NOBO (650+ miles), but had to get off early. I'll be headed back out in 2014 NOBO most likely. Hope to see you all out there.

Hi! I'm looking for a hiking buddy around my age and skill level. I'll probably be starting in late February or early March (2014) and hopefully finishing before the end of August. Anyone who's interested feel free to message me.

Is it wise to plan for equipment now for a 2014 NOBO hike or wait for upgraded and improved gear?

Quote Originally Posted by House of Payne View Post
    Is it wise to plan for equipment now for a 2014 NOBO hike or wait for upgraded and improved gear?
    That might depend on the depth of one's homework?

There are many variables to consider. For example: Are shoes going to advance so much in 2 years that I shouldn't NOW grab 2 pair of Merrell Moab Mid-Ventilators for $80 a pair at REI soon? My tentative shoe plan with camp shoes NOW may cost me less than $200 - if I wait a couple of years will that increase to over $400??

For me, I think I will continue to learn and buy gear along the way as I see the best fit for me / my goals and hopefully save time and money.

It's a good question though House, as many things the cost WILL increase and potentially the quality MAY decrease. One aspect of a thru-hike is that we will want quality gear.
    Last edited by Winds; 05-20-2012 at 13:55.

I was planning for a 2013 NoBo but ran into problems while registering for my last semester of nursing school. Now Ill be graduating in May of 2013 so I have to postpone the thru hike until 2014. Planning on hammocking as well.
    Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all
    - Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by tenn_hiker View Post
    hoping to start march or april 2014.. after i graduate highschool... cant wait. if everything works ill be out there.. if not ill just wait a year.. good luck to everyone!
    Going SOBO this year! Leaving tonight to make my way up to Maine. Hiking Katahdin on Monday.
    Here's my Journal:
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=379320
    and my Facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/HikingTheAtIn60DaysOrLess

Good luck to everyone!
    "Teufel Hunden"

March 2014 start! See ya there!

Images

Starting in Late Feb/Early March of '14 as I graduate from nursing school Dec of '13. I'm really considering trying a yo yo, because I know I won't feel done when I reach Katahdin, and I'd really like to be one of the few to have completed a yoyo in a calendar year.

Looks like I will run into a few of you in 14', GLO on the shout outs!

Journal Entries

I hope to get out there in 2014.

hey guys I'm planning a thru hike Feb or mar of 2014 novo, looking for someone to hike with, none of my friends here at home seen interested in it but this is something I've been wanting to do for a while now, if anyone is interested in a hiking partner feel free to message me... thanks guys

Stir Fry

You will get a partner or small group after a fue day. When I section 10 days or more I usualy blend into a group withen a day or two.
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++