WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Most expensive towns? Best locations for mail drops?

I've been diligently searching and could not find any info on where the most expensive towns are. Is there a link to a thread or article somewhere?

Also, I don't intend to rely on mail drops but I would like to have 10-15 mail drops to save some money on the more expensive sections of the A.T.

I have seen the list of Post Office Locations along the trail but I wasn't sure which ones would be best to mail food and supplies to.

i loved rangeley! but i don't live there.
    Images

this is a good question. i can't offer any help, but i hope you get many valid responses. i'd take a stab and guess that gatlingurg would be a pretty expensive town, but it's not right on the trail so you could bypass it. i think i've heard monson is pretty expensive as well. i'll find out soon enough, i reckon.
    "i ain't got a dime
    but what i got is mine
    i ain't rich,
    but Lord, i'm free."

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Hapers Ferry and most of New England

The most expense will be incurred when paying a premium for services, most grocery stores, department stores and outfitters run about the same price with some exceptions. Motels and lodging prices can vary greatly, thanks for the Thru-Hikers Companion for helping hikers economize.

Images

I agree that the further north you go things get more expensive. This is especially true regarding motels and restaurants.

If you are shopping at a good size grocery store, I don't think one town is going to be more expensive than another.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I agree that the further north you go things get more expensive. This is especially true regarding motels and restaurants.

If you are shopping at a good size grocery store, I don't think one town is going to be more expensive than another.
    I spent almost $500 in 2 days in MC Mr. Jeff...

That does include a new pair of shoes though...

(and I enjoyed every penny of it...)

Images

We thank you for your contribution to our local economy. I hope you are making plans to return.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Definitely the north is more expensive. I paid $84.00, thru hiker rate, for a room in Salisbury, CT and had to fix the power cord on the TV myself. It's funny. I could stay out forever at first, but by the end, I was literally hiking from town to town. I just had to find a room, shower, and a good meal. Seems like it would have been the other way around.

litefoot 2000

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Maybe NY as you have mostly convenience stores and pricey, but the delis there are awesome and worth the walk off trail.

Other possible drops - NOC, possibly Glasgow or Buena Vista, Harpers Ferry, Port Clinton, DWG, Glencliff, AMC Center at Pinkam Notch (to reduce weight in the Whites), Caratunk ME
    Actually New England has some rather big grocery stores in North Adams, Manchester Center, Hanover, Lincoln (need a hitch) Gorham
    I did drop in Monson but there is a fairly good store there with a shopkeeper eager to please thru hikers
    Last edited by Blissful; 04-02-2011 at 20:44.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

on both of my thrus the most expensive towns were in Conn.

geek

Occasionally lucid

Mail drops are best used for convenience or for hard-to-find or personal items. Do not count on saving money by using mail drops for resupply versus buying in town along the way.
    GA -> ME
    '86 -> '89

Quote Originally Posted by stonedflea View Post
    this is a good question. i can't offer any help, but i hope you get many valid responses. i'd take a stab and guess that gatlingurg would be a pretty expensive town, but it's not right on the trail so you could bypass it. i think i've heard monson is pretty expensive as well. i'll find out soon enough, i reckon.
    gatlinburg is cheap

Images

Default Kent

Kent CT..................

most hikers bypassed Kent but I found it to be one of the friendliest places along the way...had to go there to replace my boots. Locals at the bakery/coffee shop offered to drive me to Milford (I think) if the small outfitter there didn't have what I needed. mayor of the town stopped and told me where to find PO, laundry, groceries, etc. There was a bed & breakfast just out of town that had a hiker rate of $75(and a shuttle) which was an excellent price, especially up north.Great place with friendly people!!!

Images

Kent is kind of a nice place but expensive if you make it that way. I was low on money when I passed through there so I just got a few minimal supplies from the grocery and grabbbed a pre-made sub from the IGA (and a soda from the cooler) for about $6.50. That was my in-town meal except I had to get an ice cream cone on the way out. I could have easily dropped $25 or more for a sit-down meal in a restaurant. There is a lot of green space and benches to take a break and eat your sandwich.

Images

Default Saving Dough in Canaan, CT

Little-known secret in NW Connecticut is that Canaan, a blue collar town, is just four miles east of the trail on Rt. 44. Salisbury has the advantage of being right on trail, but Canaan has a big Stop and Shop in town and a Subway on the way. Stay away from the chinese rest next to the Subway, sorry to say. I love good chinese food - I'd be happy to tell you if it were, and it's not AYCE. The little diner in the middle of town is mediocre. But you can't miss for resupply with Stop and Shop, and you know what you're getting with Subway (and with the McDonald's near the grocery).
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Journal Entries

I'm already getting hungry reading all of your insightful help about drops and inexpensive towns... I can only hope to not eat away all of my finances before the trip is over.

Images

the thing I like the most about hiking is going into town...

Panzer

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    the thing I like the most about hiking is going into town...

Panzer
    Not sure if you're joking or not but I look forward to the next stop.

I don't hike with the sole objective of getting to the next town but I also don't think, "Dang, another town...."...

I'd say things get more expensive until you hit CT, with Kent, CT being the most expensive trail town, and then start to get less expensive again. By Maine, I found things to be really cheap again.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

++ New Posts ++