WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Where can I find replacement tent poles?

I have a Marmot Limelight 3 person tent. I bought it at an REI Scratch n' Dent sale. The reason the customer returned it was bent poles. Well I checked out the poles, and they weren't that bent. Well, after repetitive set-up and take down they have become more bent. Do you guys know of a website that might have poles or can make poles for this tent? Thanks.

Images

I haven't ever dealt with these guys, just noticed the site in the past.

http://www.polesforyou.com/

Have you e-mailed Marmot? I would start at the most obvious first.

See, that website is really weird. I've done numerous searches on Google, and they always pop up. But the poles are 9mm DAC Featherlite poles, and on the website they only have 8.5 & 9.5. So I think I'm stuck.

Well, I just call Marmot's Warranty service, and they said that they should be able to help me out. The reason I never called them before is I thought they would try to hassle me because I bought it used. But they didn't. Thanks.

If the same section is bent on both poles, than most likely it will happen with a new section or full pole.
    The longer the pole the more likely this happens.
    Getting a thicker pole may or may not help...
    Franco

I figured the reason that I couldn't go bigger is because of the clips on the tent, and the reason I couldn't go smaller is because it might slide. But it wasn't on both sides just on side is bent till its snapping point. But luckily Marmot's customer service was great!

Default Replacement Poles for Marmot Limelight 2

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Blazed View Post
    I have a Marmot Limelight 3 person tent. I bought it at an REI Scratch n' Dent sale. The reason the customer returned it was bent poles. Well I checked out the poles, and they weren't that bent. Well, after repetitive set-up and take down they have become more bent. Do you guys know of a website that might have poles or can make poles for this tent? Thanks.
    The Marmot Limelight 2 poles will deform even if they are not subjected to any abuse or unusual wear. Tent poles are not covered by Marmot's warranty, nor will Marmot sell you replacement poles! Instead, they'll suggest you have them custom-made by a third-party vendor. They suggested http://tentpoletechnologies.com/ but I haven't been able to contact them so far.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by desertlavender View Post
    The Marmot Limelight 2 poles will deform even if they are not subjected to any abuse or unusual wear. Tent poles are not covered by Marmot's warranty, nor will Marmot sell you replacement poles! Instead, they'll suggest you have them custom-made by a third-party vendor. They suggested http://tentpoletechnologies.com/ but I haven't been able to contact them so far.
    Sounds like a poor design.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Buy an old yard sale tent with aluminum poles and cut them to size, replace shock cord and they are fixed.

Journal Entries

Quest outfitters, make your own

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by desertlavender View Post
    Follow-up: I posted a positive (four-star) review with a note about the tent pole problem on the Marmot website and it took them less than five minutes to delete it! They also deleted a note about the problem from their Facebook page and my written complaint to customer service went unanswered. I no longer trust this company, at all.

Always beware of "customer comment" sections that don't include anything but the most positive comments. No company or product is perfect and some people are just plain malcontents so if there's no negative comments or notes of small problems, they're censoring their feedback section, which is highly unethical. Two rules that I follow about shelters: 1. Never buy one that requires custom poles. 2. Never buy one that requires more than one hiking pole if hiking solo.

"they're censoring their feedback section, which is highly unethical"
    You are implying malice when it can simply be a different way of thinking.
    Some people have a naturally positive attitude to life and like to focus on positives and overlook the negatives.
    If I really loved my boots why would I bother mentioning that the straps are the wrong colour for me or struggle to come up with some other trivial (to me...) negative?
    BTW, I would not limit my choice to single pole supported tents just because one of my poles could brake, in fact I don't.
    A lot easier to find a stick or (depending on design) guyout a pole supported shelter than replace a broken hoop/curved pole.

A long time ago I bought a Sierra Design flashlight. The coating on the tent delaminated, but the 9mm poles are good. Any body want them?

++ New Posts ++