WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: May 2011?

Default May 2011?

Hi WhiteBlaze world....

Due to some stuff beyond my control, I am unable to begin my nobo-thru-hike until the 1st or 2nd week of May. According to everything I´ve been reading, that´s a bit late tho better late than never, right!

Anyone else out there striking out around that time. I guess I´d feel a bit better just knowing I have someone to meet up with, or to look for after a few possibly lonely hours of walking alone.... I´m open to a hiking partner, tho I know myself pretty well and I feel badly if I am holding someone back because I walk slower than they do...and starting off I probly will be doing just that, walking slower.

Any tips and tricks you wanna share w/me I´m more than open. As I return to the US a few days before hitting the trail, I am preparing my shopping list for stocking up asap in the US. Planning on a new hammock (old one´s too heavy) and an Esbit stove (don´t like liquids and alcohol stoves make me nervous) and a few clothes. I´ll make GORP, maybe a bit of Pemmican and take some good ole oatmeal & raisins & cinnamon to soak overnite...one of my fav meals.

Images

a friend of mine is going NOBO starting at the EARLIEST April 30. If nothing else, section hikers will be out, more than likely.

student of the wilderness
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyMe View Post
    Anyone else out there striking out around that time.
    Sure, I'm starting early 2nd week of May; though I'm trying/planning to finish in under 100 days. I'm sure there will be others not trying to hike as fast/far each day too!

^^^ yea and some section hikers I'm sure

I'm planning a May 6th start from Springer! I will be hiking pretty slow the first week or two. Not sure when you think you'll get to GA, but it would be nice to have someone to meet up with or look for while out there.

Images

Some of the ones who have started a thru this late better tell these hikers what it takes to get to Maine before the season closes the park. ie ,big mile days or flip flopping.....

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I know plenty of people that started mid-May. If you enjoy hiking, finishing should not be a problem.

I'll be starting mid to late May. I know I'll be slow for a while but have alot of time. i plan on taking break for a cruise this winter then finish when weather permits in the spring. Maybe we'll cross paths on the trail.

I did my thru starting on May 5th and finishing on K on September 28th. It wasn't difficult to do. I would say the biggest difference between me and the others I passed that started months earlier was not taking days off at every town I came to. Since I was enjoying the hike, I didn't feel the need to take time off. I took time off 7 times for a total of 12 days.
    You can also flip by heading to Maine in july or August and heading south. The general idea would be to be either done by Oct 1 (or real close to then) or be southbound from Killington/Stratton area of VT by then.

chris
    Chris "Flash" Gordon
    LT -1987, 2012; West Highland Way & Cape Wrath Trail, Scotland - 2008; AT - 2009

Images

I'll be starting right in the middle of May. It's nice to know I'll be seeing some friendly people out there.

My brother and I are starting May 4, but we will be starting in central virginia and doing a flip-flop. This is primarily due to the fact that we have to leave twice for family events, and we would rather be safe than sorry (i.e. able to finish our whole hike)!

I'll be starting the second week of May. I go very slowly so you might see me!

I should have said I won't be starting at Springer- I'll be starting in NC somewhere. Still not determined.

I'm starting on May 8th from Springer. I'm hittin' big mileage tho...

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyMe View Post
    Hi WhiteBlaze world....

Due to some stuff beyond my control, I am unable to begin my nobo-thru-hike until the 1st or 2nd week of May. According to everything I´ve been reading, that´s a bit late tho better late than never, right!

Anyone else out there striking out around that time. I guess I´d feel a bit better just knowing I have someone to meet up with, or to look for after a few possibly lonely hours of walking alone.... I´m open to a hiking partner, tho I know myself pretty well and I feel badly if I am holding someone back because I walk slower than they do...and starting off I probly will be doing just that, walking slower.

Any tips and tricks you wanna share w/me I´m more than open. As I return to the US a few days before hitting the trail, I am preparing my shopping list for stocking up asap in the US. Planning on a new hammock (old one´s too heavy) and an Esbit stove (don´t like liquids and alcohol stoves make me nervous) and a few clothes. I´ll make GORP, maybe a bit of Pemmican and take some good ole oatmeal & raisins & cinnamon to soak overnite...one of my fav meals.
    very upset with you. well, jelous anyway. do you eat your oats soaked or cook them?
    matthewski

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    Some of the ones who have started a thru this late better tell these hikers what it takes to get to Maine before the season closes the park. ie ,big mile days or flip flopping.....
    Starting May 1 gives one 5.5 months to reach Katahdin. May 15 is 5 months. Both are plenty of time. Besides you will miss the parties that cause most folks to take six months or more.

I think
    April 15 is the ideal start date, if one seeks the best of the southern spring flowers. But May 1 is a close second. I was slow starter, because I was there more to check the southern mountains than to do a thru hike, but I was continually amazed by the southern floral displayed on the AT.

Default Was that you in the Ft Lauderdale Airport?

Think we talked in the Spirit Terminal at the Ft. Lauderdale Airport May 2nd. You were headed north and we were headed south. Hope you get set and started. You mentioned WB so I'm guessing this is you. Maybe see you on the trail in Maine. Hike Safe...

surrender to the flow.

Wow. This is so old. ..I didn't see much of this during my attempted 2011 thru hike. Sickness took me off trail, with sadness n tears, at NOC I've just been invited to join a couple for next summer. (2016)
    I'm doing some prep trips in AZ this summer!

++ New Posts ++