WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Unleashed dogs

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    I've been good Karl. I hope you have been well also.
    had my first grandson last week. life is good. SORUCK 2012 ???
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    had my first grandson last week. life is good. SORUCK 2012 ???
    Grand kids are your reward for not killing your kids. I am going to try to make it in 2012. It's the end of the world after all.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Grand kids are your reward for not killing your kids. I am going to try to make it in 2012. It's the end of the world after all.
    end of world?, might be worth getting a room and not hanging under the
    deck
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Half View Post
    Wow, so many instances of not getting what I'm saying. It doesn't matter how well you've trained your dog, in the wrong circumstance a dog can act counter to its training. Not "for no reason at all", but the wrong encounter with an aggressive/fearful person or dog can lead to a bad result.

As for another dog attacking mine, I'd rather she be on a leash by my side where I can defend her with pepper spray or an air horn rather than 30 feet up the trail where all I can do is watch helplessly. My dog is 35 lbs and probably wouldn't fare well against one twice her size.

As for "being comfortable with my dog approaching other individuals", the point is that your dog shouldn't be approaching other individuals. Not everyone likes dogs or wants to be approached by dogs. Me, I'd crouch down and happily accept slobbery kisses. Other people might react with fear or aggression. It's best not to take the chance, and I'd not put my dog in the position of approaching someone who's not receptive. It's only fair to the dog and to the stranger.

Seems like common courtesy to me.
    I agree an encounter with the wrong person could lead to a bad result - that would also lead to a bad result to that person. I am not going to leash up my dog simply because there are ******** in this world. If somebody wants to mess with my dog they are going to have to deal with me.

Also my dog does not wander far enough away from me where I would lose the ability to control the situation if she were assaulted by a person or another dog. She stays near me. Her retriever instincts cause her to wander around me a bit - but she never wanders off to a point where she would not be able to pay attention to my commands.

Also, it is pretty easy to tell how receptive a person will be to being approached by a dog. When my dog sees someone on the trail, she looks at me and waits for my command. At this point - I find out if the person is interested in interacting with my dog. If not - I continue walking and my dog pays no attention to the other person. My dog would not approach a stranger without my allowing it first. When she is allowed to approach - she stays outside of arms reach and assumes a submissive posture.

I am comfortable with how my dog acts and I have trained her well. I completely get what you are saying, I just disagree with you.

Images

If a dog being off-leash means it's always at heel, then I agree with you. If it means it is charging off ahead or into the woods chasing scents, then I stick to my position.
    I can't speak for others but my dogs are always at my side. I wish more dog owners would spend more time properly training a dog. Dogs "x yards" ahead of their owner could quickly create issues. But I've had as many if not more issues with dogs on leashes. A lot of owners think having their dog on 50' retractible leash is controlling their dog. I've had my dogs charged/attacked by more on-leash dogs than off-leash dogs. It comes down to a-hole owners who don't have the intelligence or common sense to train their dogs.

100% serious. I'd rather my dog be on a leash, close to me where I can help defend it, if attacked by another dog. You'd rather your dog be 30 yards ahead of you, not under your control, when such an event occurs?

Yes, I think I can control my dog's environment much better when it's on a leash, close to me.
    that's YOUR dog. my dogs, off leash, are NEVER 30 yds ahead of me, they are ALWAYS under my control. it's called obedience training and i think your dog would be happier if you knew what that was. you are fine making choices for your dog, however, your generalization concerning others' dogs is insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    Why would you think of off leash dog would be 30 yards ahead of the owner? My dogs have extensive training for being off leash and to not leave my side. We had an encounter where 4 aggressive dogs charged me and a buddy who were hiking the GA Bartram with my two dogs. The dogs charged and circled us and my dogs stayed glued to my leg. This allowed me to focus on the a-hole pooches and not have to be concerned with what my dogs were doing. My trekking poles quickly turned sent the dogs running. I agree tho - people who have no clue how to train a dog should have their dog(s) on a leash.
    ditto
    Quote Originally Posted by general View Post
    my unleashed dog stays beside or behind me, and needs no-one to defend him. if he feels the need to defend himself, then game on. there is always a reason. i do leash him at road crossings and in towns however.
    and ditto

I can't speak for others but my dogs are always at my side. I wish more dog owners would spend more time properly training a dog. Dogs "x yards" ahead of their owner could quickly create issues. But I've had as many if not more issues with dogs on leashes. A lot of owners think having their dog on 50' retractible leash is controlling their dog. I've had my dogs charged/attacked by more on-leash dogs than off-leash dogs. It comes down to a-hole owners who don't have the intelligence or common sense to train their dogs.
    Phreak-your dogs are the best I've ever been around.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JERMM View Post
    Thanks Jermm!

Images

Default Phreak's Pups

Quote Originally Posted by JERMM View Post
    Thanks Jermm!
    I can second JERMM's comment. Phreak's dogs Suzi & Maggie are better behaved than most hikers. But I think Phreak is part K9 himself... A funny story... While hiking NOBO on the JMT with Phreak in 2008 we were just finishing laundry at Red's Meadow. A lady walked up to do her wash (only one machine). She was accompanied by a rather large snarly dog. She warned us that her dog never lets any stranger near. She proceeded to the wash machine and load her laundry. Thirty seconds later when she turned around there was her dog on his back with Phreak rubbing his tummy. Just half a minute to establish the alpha dog.... Like I said, he has to be part K9... Doodah-man

Images

Quote Originally Posted by doodah man View Post
    I can second JERMM's comment. Phreak's dogs Suzi & Maggie are better behaved than most hikers. But I think Phreak is part K9 himself... A funny story... While hiking NOBO on the JMT with Phreak in 2008 we were just finishing laundry at Red's Meadow. A lady walked up to do her wash (only one machine). She was accompanied by a rather large snarly dog. She warned us that her dog never lets any stranger near. She proceeded to the wash machine and load her laundry. Thirty seconds later when she turned around there was her dog on his back with Phreak rubbing his tummy. Just half a minute to establish the alpha dog.... Like I said, he has to be part K9... Doodah-man
    Ha! I forgot all about that dog.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerhobs View Post
    Wise old owl, YOU just don't get it. I really hope it's not your unleashed dog that i have to spray. The way you talk, You make it sound like it is alright to have dogs charging, eating hikers food and pissing all over peoples tents. And i bet if your dog got sprayed, You be the first one pissed off, Because your dogs running around the woods yelping and crying. YOU don't sound to wise, Maybe They should call you old owl instead.
    Alright Newbie, I tried to be nice and point out that this THREAD you started doesn't belong in this forum. Every 6 months someone like yourself posts a "leash thread" without reading the TOSS. You are preaching to the choir - that means most folk are already on board, Yet you appear to be a busybody with a whining attitude and all I can say is GROW A PAIR. Scared of a dog? Whining about urine? girly man?

If I don't get it, its because you are an illiterate dog owner!

IF you were spraying my dog it would be the last stupid thing you do. It would be the last small town thing you ever did. I may be old but I still KICK ASS. as a humble harmless hiker...... *******.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 05-04-2011 at 20:31.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

As a seperate post here so the whole thing doesn't get deleted.

It is a shame this thread still has legs and hasn't been closed. It clearly has brought out the worst in me, when my pride is all about taking care and rescuing animals. I train my dog hard and its behavior is important to me. People that don't have pride and respect I do not have time for. The thread starter is way off base and has no business here.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Take it easy old owl , If your dog doesn't charge me your dog or your old ass don't have nothing to worry about. who knows someday we might cross paths.

Journal Entries
    Images

that may have already happened. I hike a lot in White Clay, Woodlawn Trust and Nottingham Park.

Woo

Well , If we ever do how about a hand shake and a couple minutes of some good hiking conversation.

Images

youn's moderate every damn thing else. bout time to close this puppy don't you think.
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

This and trail magic. I can't resist them. Defending dogs and food brings out the worst in us.
    Those that danced were thought mad by those who could not hear the music. George Carlin

Journal Entries
    Images

After some thought on this Hiker Hobs, I have been clearly to harsh on this thread, Although it hurt somewhat to the core of my beliefs, please accept that I was over the "top" on this and I appolgise.

I am sure that as you grow with WB that some things will "irritate you" down the road and that is what happened to me.

Again My appologies.

Woo

I'm a dog owner of 25 years, large dogs to small dogs and I agree. Spray the dog and not take a chance of getting bit. Good dog people know they have to control and do control their dog. It's the ones that don't until the dog has charged into another person's space and threatened them and to me its too late then. Unfortunately your free running dog is imposing on my enjoyment and you don't have that right. man if a persons dog ever pissed on my tent or stole my food I'd let that dog feel some wrath.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
++ New Posts ++