WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Unleashed dogs

Quote Originally Posted by hikerhobs View Post
    Wise old owl, YOU just don't get it. I really hope it's not your unleashed dog that i have to spray. The way you talk, You make it sound like it is alright to have dogs charging, eating hikers food and pissing all over peoples tents. And i bet if your dog got sprayed, You be the first one pissed off, Because your dogs running around the woods yelping and crying. YOU don't sound to wise, Maybe They should call you old owl instead.
    i'll tell you this right now, agro-man. my dogs are more reliable off-leash than anybody's dogs i know on-leash. they hike behind me because i am responsible. they stay with me and mind because i am pack leader. i trust them off-leash and so they are. if my dogs were ever aggressive towards you and you spray them, that's one thing but if you just spray my dog because you don't like dogs off-leash, you might want to run like hell.

Images

what you all don't get is that it doesn't matter if it is right or wrong, it just is. there is absolutely nothing you can do about it, and spraying a dog or a dog owner is going to escalate an escalated situation. you are all big talkers, ain't none of you got the balz anyway.
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    I've never had a child bite me.
    How have you managed that for 50 years? More lucky than me.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Default yep

Quote Originally Posted by beakerman View Post
    who's panicing?

dogs loose on the trail don't generally bother me unless I have my dog with me...my dogs sometimes over react to other dogs so I keep them on a leash.

a dog taking a leak on my gear is an entirely different story...that is an owner out of control.
    Agreed, and in that case I pepper spray the owner. (and haul ax)
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Angry

[QUOTE=kanga;1144334]i'll tell you this right now, agro-man. my dogs are more reliable off-leash than anybody's dogs i know on-leash. they hike behind me because i am responsible. they stay with me and mind because i am pack leader. i trust them off-leash and so they are. if my dogs were ever aggressive towards you and you spray them, that's one thing but if you just spray my dog because you don't like dogs off-leash, you might iant to run like hell.[/QUOT
    First of all why would i run, Second of all why would i spray a dog for no reason. I'm talking about dogs that charge at you. It's all fun and games until your at stand off with some dog thats not listening to a damn thing that the owner says. I'm a dog owner also and love dogs, But i'll be damn if i'm going to get bit by some out of controlled dog.

Images

Wise old owl, YOU just don't get it. I really hope it's not your unleashed dog that i have to spray. The way you talk, You make it sound like it is alright to have dogs charging, eating hikers food and pissing all over peoples tents. And i bet if your dog got sprayed, You be the first one pissed off, Because your dogs running around the woods yelping and crying. YOU don't sound to wise, Maybe They should call you old owl instead.
    where on earth did you think you read that???
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

id rather meet an unleashed dog on the trail then half of you people on WB, i take that back. 3/4 of you people on WB because 50% of you don't hike. (hope the math didn't confuss ya)
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

I just carry a sack of Snausages in my pocket for times like this.

First of all why would i run, Second of all why would i spray a dog for no reason. I'm talking about dogs that charge at you. It's all fun and games until your at stand off with some dog thats not listening to a damn thing that the owner says. I'm a dog owner also and love dogs, But i'll be damn if i'm going to get bit by some out of controlled dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    where on earth did you think you read that???

exactly. hh, i must have misinterpreted your post. you seemed aggressive towards all unleashed dogs. i apologize for my tone if i did. if my dogs ever charged you, spray the hell out of them and then kick them.

while waiting for a ride in the rain out in the boondocks near damascus, my 3 unleashed dogs and i were huddled up under our tarp to wait it out. two ******** drove up, let out their two very aggressive unleashed dogs out and then proceeded to ignore them. they charged me and my dogs immediately. i hollered at them to grab their dogs, they ignored me. i hollered again while kicking at one of their dogs. they finally ambled over, saying, oh they're sweet they wouldn't hurt you. they got back to their car with the dogs and promptly let them go again, so here are the dogs back charging us. i had had enough. i told them very plainly if they did not get their dogs i was releasing mine. they looked at my dogs and put theirs in the car. i understand completely what you said in your last post. i frickin HATE dog owners like that.

I dont want to sound like i'm on a misson to just go out and spray dogs i'm not. But when you have big dogs running at you what are you suppose to do. I would never spray a dog for the hell of it, I'm not like that.

Images

Well, I love dogs, but I'm really stymied by the "I'll be damned if I'll leash my dog" thing here. Just don't get it.

Well, I love dogs, but I'm really stymied by the "I'll be damned if I'll leash my dog" thing here. Just don't get it.

Not the dog's fault. The owners don't get it, and it's a shame that you have to protect yourself because of the idiot owners. But one bite will make you a believer that bite #2 will not happen.

Do your dog a favor. Put the lease on and control him. That's your job.
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    ........ because 50% of you don't hike......

This number is either on the high side, or you're an optimist.

Images

A

well

trained

dog

needs

no

leash

slow enough for you
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Funny. I am directly aware of only one dog pissing on someones gear but I know of two hikers who have pissed on other hikers. hmmmmm.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    id rather meet an unleashed dog on the trail then half of you people on WB, i take that back. 3/4 of you people on WB because 50% of you don't hike. (hope the math didn't confuss ya)
    {insert dancing bananas here}
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

i've pissed on my gear. only once on someone elses, and it was an honest mistake.
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

Holy crap!!! I'm nearly ashamed to be involved with this forum. You people are all out of control. Go back and read your own posts. You all need to get off the computer and out for some trail time. It's no wonder the dogs don't know how to behave!!!!

In the interest of responding constructively I offer the following:
    A dog must be under control, but not necessarily on leash. They are not the same thing.

To hikerhobs, consider this:
    If you feel truely threatened, then by all means, protect yourself. If you are just aggitated, then why not try to chase the dog off. I mean chase it off with vigor. I would try to make sure the owner sees me grab a big stick or hiking pole and swing it over the dog's head, or hit the ground next to the dog (carefully). I might also kick up the ground, leaves, dirt in front of the beast and shout at it loudly and assertively. Maybe grab a big, full, bushy, branch and shake it at the dog. Of course this is after you asked the owner to call his dog, if he's around at all.
    This achives several goals. It will discourage the dog from bothering you, and it will probably bring the owner running to protect their poor little fluffy. All without really causing any harm to the dog. If the owner has words for you, you can claim you were afraid and were just trying to defend yourself. And you never even touched the dog. Who could blame you for that? This will send the massage to the dog and owner both, that you will not tolerate any crap. But it's just a display, posturing, not a real fight. Keep the verbal confrontation out of it. If it's done with calm assertiveness, but not malice or anger, it will be clear you were not really trying to hurt the dog. The owner will probably think twice about letting the dog get away from him after that. Or at least he will keep it away from you.
    As far as a true bite, it's possible, but very unlikely. In fact, a loose dog is the least likely of all to bite because it has the option to flee. See the book "Fatal Dog Attacks; the Stories Behind The Statistics".
    With a little thought and diplomacy we can all manage to survive our leisure time in civility.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    I've been charged on the trail and at shelters, and I've had my food eaten right out of my cook pot when I set it down for just a second right next to me. All of the incidences got me nothing more from the dogs owners than a very insincere 'sorry.' Guess I'll start carrying some kind of spray as well.
    Dog eats my stuff, I eat dog. PERIOD

Brewmaster, Pizza Chef
    Images

One blast of this in the dog's face and it'll run away faster than if pepper-sprayed. It's harmless and you can't miss.
    Everything is easy until you do it.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++