:banana 2 Week section hike in July

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering what people think would be an interesting section of the trail for a 2 week hike in July, considering weather, bugs, water, etc.

We are looking for a scenery that will keep us entertained for a couple weeks, possibly considering taking the end of the Sierra Nevada Mountains and the beginning of the Cascades going north.

Also, perhaps the Sequoia National Park / Kings Canyon looks cool too. Is the scenery fairly diverse along this portion of the trail?

Also, if you have any idea about the ease of resupplying food/gas along sections of the trail you suggest that would be very helpful!

Thanks for the help everyone!

Yes, Kings Canyon / Sequoia has some of the most awesome scenery on the trail. This is the JMT section and you will be in peak JMT thru-hiker season and just a bit late for most northbound PCTers.

You'll of course have to get permits for backcountry use or you can obtain a permit to thru-hike the JMT but I hear these are bought up months in advance (though a few are reserved for people showing up the day they want to start their hike)

At the northern end of the "High Sierra" stretch is Red's Meadow which will get you down to Mammoth Lakes, CA. At the southern end is Kennedy Meadows. This is roughly 200 miles and could be done in two weeks if you're in good shape but most would want to take a bit longer, especially considering the elevation which takes some getting used to.

There are several places to get out / resupply along the route but I'm very familiar with all of them. At least two passes lead off the east side of the range to Independence, CA and Lone Pine, CA and I'm sure there are other ways out to the west.

Get a good map and have fun.

My next favorite section of trail would be N. Washington but it would probably be a bit rough in July with some snow higher up for sure.

I really wish there was an EDIT button on this forum.

I meant to say I'm NOT very familiar with the resupply points in the High Sierra stretch.

Also, Northern CA would be a good spot for that time of year, though not nearly as dramatically scenic. The upside would be that you wouldn't have to worry about getting permits. If you take this route, start at I-5 near Dunsmir, CA and head north.

The trail south of here (while still great) is one of the relatively duller stretches of the PCT.

From Dunsmir north you'll head right into Castle Crags state park, Trinity Alps wilderness, Russian Wilderness and the Marble Mountains - all of which are nice sections and pretty easy walking. It's a little over 200 miles from this point back to I-5 near Ashland, OR. Along the way there are two towns to resupply in - Etna and Seiad Valley. Etna has a full grocery store but Seiad Valley is a little harder resupply, though the small market does make an effort to carry some hiker friendly food - just be aware if you have any specific dietary needs beyond crackers, cereal, tuna packets, etc.

Images

Default Resupply in the Sierra

The common resupply points in the King canyon/Yosemite area are Toulemne Meadows, Reds Meadow, Muir trail ranch and Vermillion. I would second a stretch of the JMT. Reds to Whitney, Reds to Onion Valley. There are also a couple going in from the west but they would be harder logistically. Another option is the Rae Lakes loop with any number of additional loops added on. Definitely a very cool area.

We have made some progress in defining where we will go for our trip.

Still there are questions and any help would be much appreciated!

We want to do approximately 150 miles, and would like to start north of Yosemite, and hike the entirety of the park (southward).

We need to be able to find a place to get a permit to the north of the park, and a way to get there, and a place to get out, and get to a location where there is an airport. For each direction, we need to use some form of public transportation, as we will not have a car.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Images

If you haven't done the JMT from Reds Meadows South then I would reco this over Yosemite hands down.

As far as logistics, look into the Eastern Sierra Transit authority. There is a bus that runs up the east side of the sierra from Whitney up to Reno. Regardless of your route this may come in handy. In Yosemite, there is Yarts. Sonora pass may be tough to get to, likely the longest hitch I've made. Echo Lake is likely easier to access but again the bang for the buck wouldn't be there. Red' is super easy to get to, ESTA to mammouth and then bus to Reds. Kearsarge Pass drops you to a trailhead in Onion Valley. You would have to get a ride down to Independence but then you have access to ESTA. Same with Whitney Portal.

I have done multiple trips using the eat side transport. If you want email me and we can make arrangements to talk and I can steer you to all the info.

I was going to recommend the end of sierras/start of the cascades as being an excellent choice. I've done Bucks Sumit to Lassen park 2 times and I've done Lassen parkto Old Station 3 times even though I consider that stretch to be pretty boring. I really like the wildflowers and the big trees. Seeing both Lassen and Shasta at the same time is pretty awesome, too. Something about that area has a really nice vibe to me.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by gg-man View Post
    If you haven't done the JMT from Reds Meadows South then I would reco this over Yosemite hands down.

As far as logistics, look into the Eastern Sierra Transit authority. There is a bus that runs up the east side of the sierra from Whitney up to Reno. Regardless of your route this may come in handy. In Yosemite, there is Yarts. Sonora pass may be tough to get to, likely the longest hitch I've made. Echo Lake is likely easier to access but again the bang for the buck wouldn't be there. Red' is super easy to get to, ESTA to mammouth and then bus to Reds. Kearsarge Pass drops you to a trailhead in Onion Valley. You would have to get a ride down to Independence but then you have access to ESTA. Same with Whitney Portal.

I have done multiple trips using the eat side transport. If you want email me and we can make arrangements to talk and I can steer you to all the info.
    thanks ggman, that is very useful. When we start to get the fine logistics down I may shoot you a message

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

gg-man is right. The section south of Yosemite is far better than Yosemite itself. Here's what you're in store for in Yosemite:

- some of the worst mosquitoes you've ever seen
    - multiple steep climbs every day (steep by PCT standards, not awful by AT standards, but still a lot of work)
    - decent but not great views. probably not worth the work and the mosquitoes
    - potentially some deep fords depending on the melt season plays out

Going south from Red's Meadow will put you on the best part of the JMT/PCT, and in easier terrain. The suggestion to go north from Dunsmuir (Castella, really) is a good one, too. That's a gorgeous section.

++ New Posts ++