WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Beer and Breweries

I'm gonna admit it right up front. I'm a beer snob. I like small, local breweries and craft beers. Can anyone recommend any nearby the trail? I remember seeing one in Gatlinburg (Smoky Mountain Brewery) not too long ago but never got to stop in. Any others or at least some great regional beers that I can pick up in a grocery store?

Odd Duck

Images

Northern Outdoors Center in Maine just past the Kennebec River is a great microbrewery just a couple of miles from the trail. You already mentioned Smoky Mt Brewery which is also a great one. Those are the only two microbreweries that I can remember.

Sweetwater 420 can be bought down south and Long Trail Ale up North. Maine has a pretty good selection of regional beers too. Many more than that but I thought I'd just name a few. I was pleasantly surprised by the beer selection while on my thru.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Ots o' good, cold, well crafted beer in Asheville, about 35 minutes from Hot Springs.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

Stop at the Doyle when you come through Duncannon They always have Troegs Pale Ale, Appalachian Brewing Company Jolly Scot On tap and maybe another, all brewed in Harrisburg PA. They also have several local offerings in bottles. The food is excellent the hospitality can't be beat.The prices are very reasonable. The rooms are...... well warm and dry
    Alcohol was involved!

Blue Mountain Brewery is located directly east of Humpback Rocks near Afton here in good ole VA. They've got tasty brew in a great location, and the last time i visited, speaking with the owner who is "good people" as we say here in the south, who would love to be an AT-friendly brewery. He was even concerned with how to get his establishment on the next copy of the thru hiker handbook.
    Great beer, great people, great location near Rockfish Gap.

Images

Asheville is about to be voted "Beer City USA" for the third year in a row. We've got about a dozen great micro breweries plus almost every bar has the best of best on tap, some like Barley’s up to 40 on tap. My personal favorites “The Wedge”, Highlands, Pisgah and of course my best friend’s brewery GREEN MAN.

They should put an appendix labeled the "Beer Guide" in the back of the Thru-Hikers' Companion. I would vollunteer to hike from brewery to brewery in order to keep it updated.

Great ones so far! Thanks everyone. Keep 'em coming if you think of more. I'm compiling a list for my hike in April.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

No fancy-schmancy microbrews, but the beer at Dot's in Damascus is always cold and the burgers are always fresh and hot.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

I'll have to check Dot's out. I'm looking forward to spending some time in Damascus especially if I can make it for Trail Days.

Default Abc

When starting PA NOBO, you should check out Appalachian Brewing Company. The brewery is in Harrisburg, but there is a resturaunt/ bar in Gettysburg as well. Great craft beers, ecspecially the Trail Blaze Organic Brown. Hell, they're all good...probably the only reason I'd go near Gettysburg on a thru. A few mile hitch outside of Caladonia State Park, but doable in the summer.

I agree ABC is good. In north woodstock,NH there is a nice brewpub called woodstock inn that had some good beers from what I remember.

+1 on the Doyle, one of the original Anheiser Busch Hotels.

Beer Snob here. I can't stand the watered down beers and I'm very happy the Dutch (or whoever it was) bought budweiser.

10 miles from Damascus, Va. http://wolfhillsbrewing.com/main.php/

Nomnomnom! Just looking at the websites makes my mouth water. Its five-o'clock somewhere, right.

I thought we just went though this but
    Woodstock Inn - Woodstock NH (some folks resupply here)
    Sunday River Brewing - Bethel Me
    Long Trail Brewery - Bridgewater Corners VT

Al three require hitches on major highways from trail

If you find yourself between breweries and good beer, you can "resupply" at my wine shop, Uncorked, in Buena Vista. We carry about 120 different beers - both domestic and imports and we love AT hikers. Coming this summer - mix and match six packs...

How far is Buena Vista from the Trail? I'd love to stop in if I get the chance especially if I can mix and match. Do you have a selection of local or regional beers?

Brewmaster, Pizza Chef
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I thought we just went though this
    Yup, here's the earlier beer thread:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70278

As a Brewmaster and founder of a small brewery I'm thrilled that there is so much growing interest in flavorful beer. It's not that long ago that beer in the US meant yellow, watery and fizzy. Heineken was as exotic as you could get. Now we have the greatest selection of beer in the world.

Prost!
    Everything is easy until you do it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++