WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hubba Hubba for solo use?

Hi. Anyone use the Hubba Hubba just for themselves? I am wondering because I love all the room (the single Hubba has only 1/2 the floorspace). Can you make up for the added weight by reducing some other things you would normally carry? Thanks!

~Doug

A lot of people use a 2 man tent by themselves. I do.
    Of course you can always lose weight in other ways.
    A tent your comfortable and happy with is more important than the weight (at least to me it is).
    When night falls she cloaks the world in impenetrable darkness, A chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air, suddenly....life has new meaning.

Images

I used to carry a 2 man tent. Yes it was heavier, but it was a bullet proof tent (Mountain Hardware Viperine 2). With 28 sq ft, and a single vestibule, it was excellent for one person. Went on a scout backpack once when it rained all afternoon, night and the next morning. I was the only one in a dry tent. Another scout in a Hubba was soaked through and through. But it was just over 5 lbs and too much for me. My son now uses it (scouts, so he sets it up every month on an outing), and he thinks it is the bomb. On a recent backpack trip, he split the gear with another small scout, and it worked out great for the two of them.

I am now in a hammock (not trying to talk you into it or hijack your thread), which got me much lighter. It spurred me to revamp my whole approach to backpacking, I have cut my total weight more than in half for a weekend trek or about 40% less for a longer trek. With a tarp over the hammock, I have much more room than I did in my old 2 man tent.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Images

I use a Nemo Meta 2P, 3 lbs. 4 oz.

For my Thru-Hike I will be using a LightHeart Duo, 2 lbs., 2 Person and sets up with trekking poles. 57" Wide X 103" Long X 44" Height.

Yes you can use it, but there are lighter alternatives. I've used a Tarptent Rainshadow 2 the last couple of years on solo hikes. Its at least a pound lighter.

i loved rangeley! but i don't live there.
    Images

i'll beusing the HH on my thru... granted, i'll be bringing my 55# dog, so it won't exactly count as me being solo, but i love all the room! and the double doors... etc. i like my tent so much, i don't mnd that it weighs a little over 4#.
    "i ain't got a dime
    but what i got is mine
    i ain't rich,
    but Lord, i'm free."

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stonedflea View Post
    i'll beusing the HH on my thru... granted, i'll be bringing my 55# dog, so it won't exactly count as me being solo, but i love all the room! and the double doors... etc. i like my tent so much, i don't mnd that it weighs a little over 4#.
    This reminds me of a pretty funny sight we saw. A hiker and his LARGE German Shepard in a Seedhouse. The dog was all stretched out and very happy taking up most of the tent. The hiker was scrunched up along one side taking just a sliver of the space. We talked with him later and his response was the dog was pretty pleased with the sleeping arrangement and just shook his head.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

I use the Hubba Hubba for solo use, also. I like the extra interior space and 2 vestibules. I can store stuff in one vestibule and use the other for the door.

Thanks everyone for posting! I'm beginning not to feel so bad about purchasing this tent

Hiker Trash - Safety Squad! JokerJersey's Avatar
    Images

I'm taking mine with me on my solo thru. I've used it for a year now, solo/duo hikes and I love it. The double side doors are awesome.
    Pyro - Bringin' the heat! '11 Safety Tribe firestarter

2011 - Springer to Pearisburg

Images

I don't have the HH, but i have the carbon reflex 2 and always have used 2 persons ... i'm simply too big for a solo tent ...
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...06485526057330

Facebook Group - Appalachian trail hiker's

I used a Hubba Hubba HP on most of my thru last year. Changed from Tarptent Moment early in the hike and much appreciate the space and security.

Quote Originally Posted by stonedflea View Post
    I agree with stonedflea... I've done all my thru's with a 2 man SD Hyper-Lite AST... But also had my 85lb Weimy with me... The trade off of weight vs. comfort is worth it to me... I can save the weight somewhere else... And I do

quest preying mantis and msr zoid 2 tents
    always loved the extra room of a 2 man tent, like TOLI my dog hiked with me, sometimes she slept outside sometimes in.
    unless it was buggy out, i'd leave the door open enough for her to choose
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 03-25-2011 at 14:07.

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

I have a hubba hubba and a hubba. I like the room in the hubba hubba, it allows for extra space for my dogs. I just bought the new hubba(yes, it's still set up in the living room) I find it is still quite spacious for me. And I'll use it when I section NC and Georgia in Sept/October. Since the dogs will be staying home.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianGirlsKickAss View Post
    I have a hubba hubba and a hubba. I like the room in the hubba hubba, it allows for extra space for my dogs. I just bought the new hubba(yes, it's still set up in the living room) I find it is still quite spacious for me. And I'll use it when I section NC and Georgia in Sept/October. Since the dogs will be staying home.
    ur not staying home... Why the hounds ...

Images

I'm taking my HH on my solo thru beginning next week. I love having all the extra room and the weight doesn't bother me at all.

In my mind, walking or hiking is the most important aspect of the trail. Second comes being able to get comfortable sleep. If I'm not sleeping well or am uncomfortable at night, then I won't be able to walk during the day. So...it is worth the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by FritztheCat View Post
    I'm taking my HH on my solo thru beginning next week. I love having all the extra room and the weight doesn't bother me at all.

In my mind, walking or hiking is the most important aspect of the trail. Second comes being able to get comfortable sleep. If I'm not sleeping well or am uncomfortable at night, then I won't be able to walk during the day. So...it is worth the weight.
    Tru dat brother...

i loved rangeley! but i don't live there.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Many Walks View Post
    This reminds me of a pretty funny sight we saw. A hiker and his LARGE German Shepard in a Seedhouse. The dog was all stretched out and very happy taking up most of the tent. The hiker was scrunched up along one side taking just a sliver of the space. We talked with him later and his response was the dog was pretty pleased with the sleeping arrangement and just shook his head.
    lol... i have a feeling that's how we're gonna wind up. i pitched the tent in the backyard the other night and did a trial run to see how we fit into the tent. if swayze wouldn't have had her own ridgerest, i'm sure she would have been all stretched out on my side, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by djp183 View Post
    Thanks everyone for posting! I'm beginning not to feel so bad about purchasing this tent
    don't feel bad about purchasing something you're happy with, even if other people say it's too much or not needed. if it makes you happy from the get-go, have fun with it! =D
    "i ain't got a dime
    but what i got is mine
    i ain't rich,
    but Lord, i'm free."

Hike smarter, not harder.

Hard to say if you can reduce your other gear to offset the weight without that gear listed.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++