WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Sleeping Pad in Summer?

There's a good chance I'll be taking an extended hike this summer from mid July to mid August in central VA. I'd be taking my 20* bag and I know that'll probably get a bit toasty but I'll most likely end up using it as a quilt. Is there a need to bring a pad for these conditions?
    "Mr. Franz I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."

Yes.......................
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

In a hammock you need something under you well into the 60F range. I always use an underquilt or pad, since I'm never out at night when it's that warm.

Even on a 60 degree night with a 20 degree bag, the ground cold will chill you if you don't have a pad.

I've hiked in VA during this period and have never used a pad with my hammock. I've always been comfortable. That being said, I must add that I tend to sleep well in chilly weather, so I may be the exception to the rule.

fifo

Quote Originally Posted by Croft View Post
    Even on a 60 degree night with a 20 degree bag, the ground cold will chill you if you don't have a pad.
    Hammocks don't lay on the ground...

Images

Yes, for me anything under 70 gets cold without some sort of insulation. A 3/4 length Ridgerest does very well in a hammock for summer hiking.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Having a slightly chilly bag and a pad is better than having a warm bag and no pad. You lose insane amounts of heat sleeping on the ground. (Or on shelter floors)
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    Hammocks don't lay on the ground...
    How'd I get in the hammock forum? lol Scratch my above post--obviously I was referring to sleeping on the ground

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    There's a good chance I'll be taking an extended hike this summer from mid July to mid August in central VA. I'd be taking my 20* bag and I know that'll probably get a bit toasty but I'll most likely end up using it as a quilt. Is there a need to bring a pad for these conditions?
    Yeah, probably. One wonderful thing about hammocks is that you can lay down in one, all sweaty, in 90 degree weather, after a long day, and wait for a breeze to come along. When it does and the sweat from your body evaporates off the hammock fabric, oooh lovely cool breeze. Downside is you can wake up chilly in the middle of the night.

Images

A Wallyworld blue pad 24" wide by 72" long weights 15oz. I would take one. Better to have and not need it.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Images

Yep... you're gonna need some sort of insulation on your back when temps drop around 2am.

I hate sleeping cold but I would say my cold line is around 50 in a hammock. I bring a 40 degree bag and don't really have any problems. If I feel some cold I can always put on my rain gear.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

yes - a pad is more important than quilt or sleeping bag - you must be insulated from the ground to sleep well and unless you want to make a "browse bed" of straw and leaves every night, you need a pad - simple roll up foam pads will do as long as they are "closed cell" and don't absorb water - something like a "ridge rest" is cheap, but a tad bulky. I like inflatable thermorest pads - they have become much smaller and lighter - I carry a regular women's 3/4 pad which is perfect for a 5.7 guy. A lot of people like the NANO - you have to blow it up though.

I would use a CCF pad...
    TLC - Trails Loving Care

For me the cutoff is 70° nighttime low. Below that, I need something...some combination of sleepwear, bag or underinsulation. Since I don't use a bag a light pad does the trick.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Croft View Post
    How'd I get in the hammock forum? lol Scratch my above post--obviously I was referring to sleeping on the ground
    I think you caught yourself .
    This is not the hammock forum, but,
    I believe that the question is about a

PAD FOR USE IN A HAMMOCK. (Note: bold caps are for emphasis here ).

If I'm wrong, I hope the OP corrects me.

I'm sure someone will .
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Think of it this way. When driving on a highway you see signs that say" Bridge Freezes Before Road Surface". The same goes for a hammock. Bring a pad.

Images

I would agree on having a pad in your hammock. Not only does it insulate you on cooler nights below 65 degrees, but it also stops the mosquitos from biting you through your hammock bottom when you use your bag as a "top only" quilt.

Get the $5 wally world pad as someone suggested and round all 4 corners off (take off about 6-8" diagonally from each corner so you have nice rounded tops and bottoms. These will fit your hammock much better than a pad with corners.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

++ New Posts ++