WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Question Long Trail in a Limited Timeline

I am soon to be a college student, and I was hoping between a possible family vacation, a trip to Europe, and the start of freshman year, I could hike the Long Trail.

The first possible timeline will be something between July 31 to August 18, depending on the details of the travel overseas and the start of orientation of the college I am accepted into (I'm still undecided on which I am attending). The second tentative timeline would be between June 25 and July 8, when I will probably leave for France -- though I could very well start the hike earlier than June 25. I've heard that hiking the Long Trail usually takes around 3 weeks, but I was wondering if two weeks and a few days, or shorter, would still be doable.

My prior hiking experience includes some backpacking in the Pemigewasset Wilderness of the Whites (about a week, though very slow going) and hiking from a bit north of the Mahoosucs to Pinkham Notch in the Whites (about two weeks, still slow going but some rough days).

If I felt too rushed, I'd be willing to do only part of the LT-- probably the portion that isn't contiguous with the AT, as I plan a thru-hike in the future and will see that part anyways -- though I'd prefer doing the entire trail. I'd most likely hike it alone (I hope you don't think I'm too young, I'll be 18 by then). What do you think would make the most sense?
    Class of 2015, I'll see you soon.

This side of the dirt
    Images

This is a link to Trail Journals of people that have hiked the Long Trail. Read a few over and it may help you. Also do a search on here.

Good Luck!

http://www.trailjournals.com/journal...rail - Vermont
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

This side of the dirt
    Images

Also age and maturity are two different things. If you can do it I wouldn't worry about your age
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

Images

I encourage you to start at the MA border and hike north as far as time will allow. One of the benefits of hiking the portion contiguous with the AT is the terrrific interaction you will have with AT thruhikers and section hikers. You can pick up plenty of useful information especially if you plan to someday hike the Appalachian Trail.

The southern portion of the LT will also allow you to get your body in trail shape as it is somewhat less rugged terrain wise.

Also, in the first 50 miles you have 2 chances to easily get to town in Bennington and Manchester. If you need to modify or change out your gear, Manchester has two first class outfitters who can help.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

I think it's a very tough hike given that you said you found the Pemi slow going. 18 days to do the LT would be close to 16 miles per day, and the section north of Maine Junction (where the AT splits off) is tougher than most all of the AT itself.

The section from Maine Junction to Trails End (northern terminus), or reverse direction, is about 180 miles. A much more realistic hike in 18 days. 10 miles per day may sound "too easy", but make no mistake, although very beautiful, it's a tough hike. Leaves time for any adjustments for bad weather, and a zero or two as well.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I think it's a very tough hike given that you said you found the Pemi slow going. 18 days to do the LT would be close to 16 miles per day, and the section north of Maine Junction (where the AT splits off) is tougher than most all of the AT itself.

\
    My first long hike was the Long Trail . I was in worse shape than I am now (195 lbs on my 5'6" frame!!!), had a heavy pack (EMS 5500, whisper light stove, heavy leather boots. About 30 lbs base pack weight!) and I did it in 18 days just fine.

If you are on the trail by 7 or 8 am and willing to walk most of the day, 16 MPD is very doable.

If my younger, lard-ass self could do it with limited experience, don't see why the OP can't either.

Like the OP, I had done some backpacking in the Whites before then..but only a year before I did the LT!

Go for it. With the lighter packs carried today and maybe a base level of fitness that I really did not have, don't see why the OP can't do it either.

Most importantly, I think the OP will find the LT to be a wonderful, rewarding little trail. I know I did!

(Today? My older..but leaner, experienced and more in-shape self, would see 16 MPD as chill! )
    Last edited by Mags; 03-19-2011 at 20:25.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Since you have a limted amount of time and from what you say aren't a real strong hiker, I would also suggest the southern half of the LT. With luck, maybe you could get as far as Camels Hump. North of there is were it really starts to get difficult.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hands View Post
    My prior hiking experience includes some backpacking in the Pemigewasset Wilderness of the Whites (about a week, though very slow going) and hiking from a bit north of the Mahoosucs to Pinkham Notch in the Whites (about two weeks, still slow going but some rough days).
    I'm sorry, I believe some of you are misunderstanding me.

I was with a hiking group on both of those trips (the Appalachian Mountain Club's Teen Wilderness program), and I meant to say that I found their itinerary slow going -- rather, we went at a far slower pace than I would have preferred.

16 miles a day would be too much, it sounds like -- and I hear the northern portion is far more scenic as well, so I might do just that -- even if I miss out on the thru-hikers passing through.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    My first long hike was the Long Trail . I was in worse shape than I am now (195 lbs on my 5'6" frame!!!), had a heavy pack (EMS 5500, whisper light stove, heavy leather boots. About 30 lbs base pack weight!) and I did it in 18 days just fine.

If you are on the trail by 7 or 8 am and willing to walk most of the day, 16 MPD is very doable.

If my younger, lard-ass self could do it with limited experience, don't see why the OP can't either.

Like the OP, I had done some backpacking in the Whites before then..but only a year before I did the LT!

Go for it. With the lighter packs carried today and maybe a base level of fitness that I really did not have, don't see why the OP can't do it either.

Most importantly, I think the OP will find the LT to be a wonderful, rewarding little trail. I know I did!

(Today? My older..but leaner, experienced and more in-shape self, would see 16 MPD as chill! )
    Then again, from what you say, Mags, maybe I could try the whole thing... I'm a somewhat shy person, especially since I'll feel pretty young amongst so many adults and seasoned thru-hikers, so I probably wouldn't want alot of down time at shelters. One thing I could do: go out for a 4 day or so hike in late June/early July and see at what pace I could travel. From 6am to 6 pm at even 1.5 miles per hour would be 18 miles. Hmmmm, I'll have to think about it...

i am considering doing the part of the LT that isn't with the AT (north of killington) if i do it this summer i was planning on starting aug. 1st. PM me if you're interested in maybe meeting up.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hands View Post
    go out for a 4 day or so hike in late June/early July and see at what pace I could travel. From 6am to 6 pm at even 1.5 miles per hour would be 18 miles. Hmmmm, I'll have to think about it...
    Good idea!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I agree with Mags. You can totally do it in the time frame you have set out if you stay focused. Sixteen miles per day average is a bit high for your first solo long distance hike, but it's far from unheard of.

Also, did I miss something.... would you be willing to hike as far as you can in the first two weeks, then come back during the second time frame and hike what's left? That would obviously eat up more of your summer, but if seeing the whole trail is something you really want to do it couldn't hurt to think of that as an option.

Regardless of how you do it, you've got a good adventure laid out for yourself. I say go for it!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by guthook View Post
    I agree with Mags. You can totally do it in the time frame you have set out if you stay focused. Sixteen miles per day average is a bit high for your first solo long distance hike, but it's far from unheard of.

Also, did I miss something.... would you be willing to hike as far as you can in the first two weeks, then come back during the second time frame and hike what's left? That would obviously eat up more of your summer, but if seeing the whole trail is something you really want to do it couldn't hurt to think of that as an option.

Regardless of how you do it, you've got a good adventure laid out for yourself. I say go for it!
    I like Guthook's thinking, Cool Hands. Do the AT part in your first window, which would rugged you up for the northerly part in your second. Probably you'd time left over on the second leg - would make for less stress.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Quote Originally Posted by guthook View Post
    Thank you! It's funny that that hadn't occurred to me before, that sounds like a definite plan, depending on how many miles I decide I can manage daily. That's still a thru-hike in my book, too -- just with about 23 zero days .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlore View Post
    i am considering doing the part of the LT that isn't with the AT (north of killington) if i do it this summer i was planning on starting aug. 1st. PM me if you're interested in maybe meeting up.
    Maybe I'll see you on the trail! I'm going to wait to figure out my exact plan first, but I'll let you know.

Images

If you P/M me, I'll send you my complete LT itinerary from '10 - I think a 18 day hike would be just fine - we did 22 days but, for experienced hikers, moved at a leisurely pace. I can also make some other recs for you - transportation, shelters, etc

I love the LT, but it is pretty rugged, and some sections, like around Mt Mansfield are tougher/mile than almost any part of the AT that I've hiked (Mahoosucs are tough too). It sounds like you'll be well prepared though, and your expectations sound reasonable. It's always good to have flexibility in your plans in case you decide you want to spend some extra time along the way, or weather is bad, or etc....

On my first Long Trail hike we hiked the trail in 26 days total, I was 18 and relatively inexperienced, and hiked with my then girlfriend.

Some points to consider:
    - 4 of those 26 days were pre-planned zeros
    - 4 other days were 'half days' or less than 8-10 miles
    - We both carried heavy loads, her about 30, me about 40
    - We did no training prior to leaving
    - I never found any particular day 'overly' difficult

Yes, the Long Trail is difficult, more difficult than anything along the AT south of Hanover, but the AT is not a tough trail overall, so comparing it to the AT is a little unfair in my opinion.

If you hike in summer and are moving by 8am, that will leave you 12 hours of daylight (you could start 2 hours earlier), even if you are moving at the relatively slow pace of 2 miles per hour, and taking 2 hours off...you could hike 20 miles per day. At 1.75 miles per hour, you're at 17.5 miles per day over 10 hours. And if for some reason you can only manage 1.5 miles per day, at 18 years young...you could cut down your break times, hike for 11 hours and still do close to 17 miles per day if you wanted to.

Like many hikes, town will probabaly dictate more than the actual trail when it comes to timeframes. So you plan to average 16 miles per day and you wake up one morning and the Inn At Long Trail is just a few miles up the trail....what to do? Staying their means having to make up miles, passing by might be considered crazy...how would you handle this?

I would go for the whole thing, starting up North, in the event you are tight on time you will be able to make up miles in the much easier southern AT section, going Nobo, making up miles will prove challenging, as the trail doesn't let up until Johnson, and even then it's hardly noticable in my opinion.

Worst case scenario, upon arriving at the Inn at Long Trail, you have a bowl of stew, shower and read a book in front of the large fireplace, not a bad way to end a hike. Then catch a bus to Rutland.

You can absolutely do it. It will help a lot if you have a few things dialed in from the get-go.

• Be fit. I don't know what your lifestyle is like, but be as fit as you can be when you start.
    • Have your gear situation worked out. Go as light as you are able. Do a shakedown trip of a night or two with exactly the stuff you anticipate using. Work out the bugs beforehand.
    • Arrange some support, so you don't have to blow half a day or a day getting into Manchester or Rutland for a resupply.
    • It sounds like you're intending this anyway, but -- go northbound. The easier AT end will get you ready for the tougher stuff to come.
    • Bank miles early on. A 20 mile day in the Stratton - Bromley corridor is a whole different deal than, say, Jonesville to Mansfield.
    • Don't get scared off the trail by rain. Averages suffer when you spend days sitting still. Just stay off the ridges in lightning.

Anyway ... good luck & have fun. I was just 18 when I finished the LT (I hiked the bulk of it in three section hikes, with a few shorter legs to hook them together). I didn't take much longer than you're talking about, though of course I had the advantage of R&R between outings.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Also, in the first 50 miles you have 2 chances to easily get to town in Bennington and Manchester. If you need to modify or change out your gear, Manchester has two first class outfitters who can help.
    Definitely go into Manchester - best trail town ever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++