WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Amtrak Question

I have traveled from NH to Boston many times via Amtrak, never had anyone question the contents of my pack. You pretty much get on the train, find yourself a seat and wait a few minutes for the guy to take your ticket. As far as I could see, there were no security officials at Boston North Station, this might be different at different stations though. I carried a 70 liter Kelty with me on one of the rides and it fit perfectly in the overhead. There is plenty of room. You could also just put it in the seat next to you. Worst case scenario, you just put it between your legs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    http://images.tdaxp.com/tdaxp_upload...aib_dog_md.jpg

Dogs do offer some good therapy for sure. I love them. Homeland security would love having every citizen scrutinized by them too. We've lost our freedoms and some fools are cool with that, which is very sad. Very sad indeed.
    See, now I agree with that. We have lost some of our freedoms. I hate all that fascist talk however.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Name one freedom you've lost. Having to be searched hasn't stopped you from doing one thing that wasn't already illegal in the first place.

Images

I just got back to Gainsville from New York this morning after having rode Amtrak to CT - I rode in a sleeper to / from NY and regular coach from NY to CT - no porter, security person or anyone said anything to me about by backpack and small duffel or my companion's suitcase - nothing about the size or the contents at all - my backpack contained a small pocket knife, a pocket rocket, a fuel canister, etc. -the duffel was sort of oversized - the only "security" that I saw appeared to look like "retired cops" types - no dogs, no metal detectors, etc. - very soft I would say from my experience. The train is pretty fun though.

I'm on an amtrack train right now on my way to Gainesville and there has been no issues with my pack.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Knows View Post
    So I just booked my ticket from Newark to Gainsville on Amtrak and they list restrictions as to the size of carry on baggage that seem to be smaller than my backpack. Has anybody had an issue with carrying theirs on or is this no big deal?
    I took the same train down to Gainesville last year. (Newark to New York to Gainesville) Suggestion- the bbq ribs in the dining car are AMAZING.

I had no size or weight restrictions, but Cyg and I were sharing a sleeping car, so since we had our own room, it may've been different. I've taken Amtrak with my (huge and cumbersome) many times. I've either been able to keep my pack with me, or they asked me to put it up in the front of the car with all the oversized luggage and bikes.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Amtraks the best way to travel. No TSA no weirdoes feeling you up in order to board..........
    Not yet, anyway.

Images

they list the max as 28"x22"x14"

fully packed im at about 43"x22"x10"
    Take a few things out of your pack to make it short enough to comply with the height regulation. Place these things in a separate bag.

Panzer

Journal Entries
    Images

So I just booked my ticket from Newark to Gainsville on Amtrak and they list restrictions as to the size of carry on baggage that seem to be smaller than my backpack. Has anybody had an issue with carrying theirs on or is this no big deal?
    Took Amtrak from Seattle to Los Angeles, then LA to Miami, from Miami to Boston with stops in the major cities, Boston to Denver, Denver back to Seattle. Also Amtrak to Banff. The train is fine - there is a luggage compartment area in each car. The vibe I noticed was that people didn't mess with your stuff. When I got to the major cities I put my pack up above the seat or on the seat next to me. VIA is the way to go - the Canadians are way cool with packs. Just keep away from bringing fuel with you either way - could turn out to be a real chore.
    It is not the destination but the journey.

I have made this trip twice, last time was 2008, and no one even looked at my pack. I even carried denatured alcohol onboard without anyone asking. You will have assigned seating but even so I had no problem fitting my 60 litre pack in the overhead rack with plenty of room...the Cresent 19 has good leg room and at times I had my pack in front of my feet to rest my legs on (cause the seat extension was broken). Personally speaking, I think this is a great way to get to Springer, plenty of time for mental preparation.

Be aware you will arrive in Gainesville BEFORE breakfast is served, so either bring something or is being shuttled by the good folks at the hiker hostel they will stop by McDonalds on the way to Springer.

Images

Those dogs you see at Amtrack stations are most definitely TSA. How do I know? Because for years when I worked in Philadelphia I used to get off the train at 30th Street Station in Philly and walk right past them, the same station seen in the movie "Witness" with Harrison Ford (and if you don't think anything dicey has every happened in that station before, just watch the movie. Remember what the little Amish kid saw go down in the bathroom?)

While I agree that Amtrack is a convenient, hassle-free way to travel, I'd advise being aware of the rules because they're aren't difficult. It's easy to take a large pack on Amtrack, and I doubt anyone will mess with you. Keep in mind that if you're doing something you're not supposed to do, you might attract attention and scrutiny, or have a visit from TSA at the next stop.

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

Default i agree bo

Agree with you Bo. SOme have to always get the anti everything in. I'm wondering if they let liquid fuel like alcohol in your bag and do beleive it better to bag the bag even if only for protection.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    You need some therapy.
    LOLOL. They are just doing their job and following orders. Please don't give them a difficult time. Yes, some of them go a little overboard, but again, they are just following orders. If you need to complain or give someone a difficult time about it, go to your local representative and complain. I was in the military and believe me, we didn't make the policies. I lived 17 miles from the border and every week that I need to go grocery shopping I have to drive through a border patrol checkpoint and answer the question of whether or not I'm a US citizen. Sometimes they ask me what my business is, where I'm going, where I'm coming from. Friends of mine give them a hard time, stare straight ahead and keep repeating that they are a US citizen etc. I smile, answer their questions and they always give me the same courtesy. Most of them are just twenty year olds just doing their job. They don't make the policies. They stand their all day in the cold on a remote spot in the middle of nowhere and they just want to be treated with respect.

Get to know who your congressional rep is and have their phone number on speed dial if you feel the need to give someone the bird or complain.

I've never had a problem with my Circuit on Amtrak either, and I've started at Penn Station in nyc and Union Station in dc. Once on the train, though, I did have to show my ticket from time to time at various stations. I kept the pack on the floor in f ront of my seat, and that wasn't a problem either.

Try to keep everything togeter.

Journal Entries

My proposed Amtrak ticket is 24 hrs for the first leg and then 12 hrs for the second leg. I was thinking of getting the smallest room (the bed and table only-what ever that's called). I would like to have at least a place where I can relax and stretch out before the hike begins. For those that have taken Amtrak before what do you suggest?

I have taken Amtrak from New York City (I think it was Penn Station but I don't recall) to Emeryville, CA. I had a coach seat. It was three days of my butt in a seat and let me tell you, I don't think I wanted to see a chair for at least another decade afterwards. I have since recovered thank you. But, I just wanted to know what others thought. Is the added expense...and it is a bit expensive versus a seat and just for 12 or 24 hours.

I think the roomette is well worth it. It includes your meals. Unlike the airlines, AmTrak tickets are refundable except for a minor charge and changeable without charge. For the past few years, I've had to change my return flights on Delta and for the cost of the change, I could have had a roomette on AmTrak and really enjoyed the trip. I'm using AmTrak this year and I won't feel like I have to stay on my hiking schedule, which lately I never do anyway. While your luggage is still subject to TSA inspection, I've never had it happen, but I wouldn't bring forbidden items, like canisters, in my pack. Of course, AmTrak is nothing like the old days, before the tracks were welded and still went clickety-clack. On the Southern Crescent, you set your shoes out in the evening and they were shined by morning. I learned to appreciate gin on the Crescent, one of many fond memories.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++