WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cat Stove for two?

I think cat stoves are a brilliant idea (you can't beat $.67), but I will be thru hiking with my husband next year. Will the cat stove work for two?

Thanks

A cat stove (or any small alcohol) stove can work for two. Basically you get two cups of boiling water after 5 minutes. If that is enough for you to make dinner/breakfast for two people you are all set. I think two stoves would be very convenient. One person could make coffee and the other could make the meal. You would need to have two pots to cook with, but a small coffee pot weighs very little.
    (for example-breakfast-oat meal+coffee/hot chocolate...I don't think I could make breakfast for two->hot water for oat meal and two mugs (larger than 8oz) of hot breakfast beverage with one CAT stove...somebody would have to eat first and then use stove again)

I think that with one stove, you would always be wanting a little more hot water.

The most useful advice I can give....is to try it in your kitchen with some of the meals you have planned. Go on some day hikes or overnights and try it.

For no more than they weigh just take 2 stoves and a 700ml pot for each of you or a 700 and a 1.3l then if you happen to get split up you each have one plus you have the option to heat all the water for cooking/drinking at once.

Thanks guys! Great advice.

You'll use way more fuel than you would with a stove that puts out higher btu's. Alcohol is limited because it doesn't burn very hot compared to other fuels. Imo, it's a solo hiker's fuel. You can do a side-by-side comparison on a cold or cool day if you would like to see for yourself how much the fuel consumption difference is to boil equal amounts of water. Alcohol isn't really very cheap, either. On the plus side it's MUCH more green than petroleum based products.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Tinker is right, but to put it more clearly...if you have two or three people share a butane stove (pocket rocket,primus,etc..) The weight of fuel+pots+stove will probably be less than a double set-up of alcohol stoves plus pot. Again...you need to experiment, borrow a friends stove or rent one for a weekend...

++ New Posts ++