WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Anyone who could hike the entire trail in 60 1/2 days without any support is simply amazing, and that's all I've got to say on the subject.

In 1990, during the same hike where Leonard backpacked solo, he said he also set the speed record for the fastest hike ever done on the Appalachian Trail (60.5 days), but added that someone surpassed it only a year later.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
    his hikes are unsupported
    Yeah, I know.

It's not clear in my response to you (sorry) but I highlighted the original quote in bold when he added his record hike was broken the following year. That's the hike that was most likely supported.

Default regarding ward leonard

can anyone tell me what his trail name was, If he had one, and also wondering if he was a bit deaf? his pictures I have seen, although now much older, remind me of a man I met early on in my 2012 thru hike.........if he is the same guy......for me........he was a joy to be around and a complete gentleman, tho a bit of a loner. he was one I enjoyed looking back on and saying I knew him.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by plus2 View Post
    can anyone tell me what his trail name was, If he had one, and also wondering if he was a bit deaf? his pictures I have seen, although now much older, remind me of a man I met early on in my 2012 thru hike.........if he is the same guy......for me........he was a joy to be around and a complete gentleman, tho a bit of a loner. he was one I enjoyed looking back on and saying I knew him.
    Google "Ward Leonard Appalachian Trail" and "Spooky Boy Appalachian Trail". Lots of stories, good and bad.

Thread necro for sure, but nice to see some usernames again that I haven't seen in a while.

Images

wards a cool guy just another character you will run into occasionally I enjoyed meeting him

Default Ward Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by DEADRECKON'UN View Post
    Recently I reread Model-T's "Walking on the Happy Side of Misery" (a great read) and Larry Luxenburg's book on the AT. Both mentioned a hiker named Ward Leonard who has completed the trail 10 times. He is described as something of a curmudgeon but interesting nonetheless. He is a strong hiker and at one time held the speed record for completing the trail. Anyone have any run-ins with him? Interesting stories? Is he still hiking? How old a guy is he?
    This is a really old thread..so who knows if anyone will read this. I was wondering if anyone was in any contact with Ward Leonard...I met him a couple times on the trail and I liked him. Strong hiker..decent guy..I admired and liked him. Any ideas on how to get in contact with him? It's been years...just thought of him the other day out of the blue..and was wondering how he is.

Ancient thread, but the link to the article in the Concord mag got me thinking... he lives just a few miles down the road, or at least he did in 2011. He's obviously grown up, about the right age, and is smiling broadly in the photo. Not the way I remember him. Maybe he finally out-ran the demons that were chasing him. Happy for him if that's so.

Journal Entries

I met Ward Leonard today. At the time, I didn't know I was talking to an AT Legend. I was talking about the trail with him and he seemed to look at some things I said questionably, I guess his own way of checking me out, making sure I was on the up-and-up. Super nice guy. We talked for maybe 20 minutes in an outfitter store in Concord, MA. I rushed back to get a picture with him, but like a flash he was gone! Really nice guy, wish I could get some contact information on him because I would certainly like for him to know how much I enjoyed speaking with him.

Keith Shaw told me a couple things about him; from what I've heard the guy had a lot of surplus energy, probably good genetics but undisciplined in manners and uncouth. You can wear out the only body you have unless you replenish it after severe workouts like multiple AT hikes. Burned himself out.

The story I heard about his 60 day through hike was he did it because he was no longer welcome in towns and hostels, so he couldn't stop at any of them. So, he just kept walking.

I meet him briefly at a shelter in VA back in '89. He came in, looked at me and another guy who was there and said "Your not thru hikers, your gear isn't dirty enough" , turned around and walked off. I've used that line a few times since myself
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pencil Pusher View Post
    How about the dude hiking in full clothes from head to toe, even in the blazing summer? Or him throwing pebbles at one shelter all night long telling the folks the AT was 'his' trail?

I got a chuckle perusing some of the stories through various sources, but I like the dude nontheless. As far as being 'banned' from the trail, I think that's a load of bs the righteous like to pass off as true.
    This may not be me but if you do see someone hiking with full clothing it may be because the sun does some nasty things and like me, the dermatologist is having a field day spraying me with the liquid nitro. I have adopted long pants and what looks like some strange hats (brand names of course). So not everyone is crazy, but saying the trail is his? That's crzy.

-

Quote Originally Posted by greenmtnboy View Post
    the guy had a lot of surplus energy,

Burned himself out.
    no doubt an outstanding natural, but had help from modern chemistry - took longer than most to burn out

Out of curiosity, can one be "banned" from the A.T.? Would a judge have jurisdiction over the trail, as it goes thru 14 states?
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

-

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    Out of curiosity, can one be "banned" from the A.T.? Would a judge have jurisdiction over the trail, as it goes thru 14 states?
    certainly there are sentences involving travel restrictions, be it home, perimeter or state

How does Ward afford to hike so many times on the AT? (Or anyone else that has done it many times.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    How does Ward afford to hike so many times on the AT? (Or anyone else that has done it many times.)
    Apparently he had a sizable trust fund to draw from.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    Some have worked a few months, then migrated down the trail aways, then work again. Some made this lifestyle for years.

Images

I hosted a hiker at Green Mountain House in Vermont this summer who mentioned Ward Leonard was his uncle.

In the hostel there is a display of "Fastest Known Times" for AT hikes where Ward Leonard was listed and his total time was noted. About one week later I got a call from Ward who told me my listed time was off by 2 hours for his 1990 record pace. He said that he rarely hikes anymore but is now into long distance biking.

Great talking with a living AT legend.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

There was an article on him a few years ago with an interview in Concord: http://www.wickedlocal.com/article/2...NEWS/312239773

Maybe he is doing better now. He owes those he mistreated a lot of apologies. The A/T is not a race; I spoke with an A/T hiker yesterday in Kent who was disgusted as am I on the crazy compulsive racers on the A/T.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++