WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Hitchhiking In Shenandoah National Park?

I'm going out for 1 week (April 1) in Shenandoah starting out in the northern end. Planning on about 75 miles +/- total. I'll make a sign that says "Hiker Nedds Lift Back To Car" or something like that.

Do you think its resonable to hithchike back to my car and how long should I expect this to take?

Thanks

Journal Entries
    Images

reasonable...oops!

Hitching is allowed in the Park and I've never had a problem hitching but I've never hitched that long a distance. Early April won't see much traffic so you may have a long wait.

Journal Entries
    Images

I hate to think how much a shuttle would be.

Images

We picked up a couple of hikers and their dog in Shenandoah last summer. They had hitched from Harper's Ferry to the southern end of SNP in a single morning. They reported it was all easy hitching.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Ahhh... Thanks for some of my fondest memories from '06. Hiked for many weeks with two ladies from England. "The Lady Brits." Including the entire length of Shenandoah National Park.

We used the park campgrounds. Mostly Big Meadows. Which meant breakfast in the mornings at the "Wayside" and showers and the "Tap Room" (beer and entertainment) in the evenings.

We hiked out and hitched back, or hitched out and hiked back, through the entire park. Never a problem.

After breakfast at the Wayside, I'd stop folks at the restaurant and say, "Hi, I'm hiking the Appalachian Trail with those two ladies from England (pointing) and we're trying to get a ride to..."

Usually the answer was something.like this... "Ladies! England! Get in!" Then I'd sit back and just let those two talk. They were charming, personable women with wonderful stories. Their British accents were a delight to everyone.

Truth be told, I never had any problems hitchin' anywhere along the AT.
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

AT 2012

it is even easy for a single older man like me to hitch hike in the snp -- you just want to try to time it so that there is tourist traffic. 7am is not so good. rain is not so good. otherwise, It is so easy, in fact, that I'd be tempted to hitch hike for good meals or icecream then hitch hike back to the trail head to continue hiking.
    Lazarus

Images

I've never found it particularly hard to hitch in SNP-- it's probably one of the easier places to hitch on the Trail. Just be polite, reasonable, and entertain your ride with some colourful stories and you should be fine.

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

It is always resonable to hitch everywhere.

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Default hitching

I tried in early June and it was difficult. Very few cars and only one stopped. The guy who stopped was like not of this world.
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

Images

I hitched there a few times and every single time I got a ride with the first car. it was amazing. The last time was a cop.
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

Images

i've hitched a bunch in snp after trail runs, hikes, etc. & never had any trouble. you may have to "piece together" a few hitches for that distance, but it's definitely doable.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Images

When I contacted the shuttle folks a couple years ago, they quoted me about $100, and that was for just about 1/3 of the park. On our last section we had to "pop smoke" on day two and had to hitch a ride. No problem getting someone to pull over but man, what a ride... The guy was a Russian dude who drove the whole way (about 20 miles) snapping pictures with one hand while steering with the other. This was all while telling us about the UFO he'd seen... Beggars can't be choosers, right? Well, maybe we should've had him pull over and let us out!
    “The press of my foot to the earth springs a hundred affections.” Walt Whitman

Images

The timing of this hike ,(early April ) won't be as easy to hitch as opposed to any time after Memorial Day Weekend .
    Big Meadows campground should be open. Check the SNP website below for information .
    You might have to road walk awhile.... Good luck and have a great hike.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

I had trouble getting a ride the one time I hitched in SNP. Of course I'm old and ugly.

Images

Standing on the Drive in my filthy end-of-a-workday trail maintainer garb, my hat crooked and holding an axe, I've never had to wait for more than a few minutes for a ride. But I've had some wide-eyed stares from drivers passing me by.

Quote Originally Posted by ATsawyer View Post
    Standing on the Drive in my filthy end-of-a-workday trail maintainer garb, my hat crooked and holding an axe, I've never had to wait for more than a few minutes for a ride. But I've had some wide-eyed stares from drivers passing me by.
    Same here. As I said on another recent thread, I think my orange construction-type hard hat and carrying a saw and/or pulaski actually helped me get a ride.

But to the OP: please note that all such instances of easy rides were during times of higher traffic volume. As I and some others already pointed out, hitching on a weekday in early April will take longer.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jdb View Post
    I hate to think how much a shuttle would be.
    Two years ago it cost me $180 to get a shuttle from Waynesboro to Front Royal.

I would hitch.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz-mataz View Post
    The guy was a Russian dude who drove the whole way (about 20 miles) snapping pictures with one hand while steering with the other. This was all while telling us about the UFO he'd seen... Beggars can't be choosers, right? Well, maybe we should've had him pull over and let us out!
    That's funny. I had a hitch in SNP from a German guy for about 18 miles. Judging by the empty heinekin bottles in the back seat he was on number 6 or 7 and it wasn't even noon. He also spent a good portion of the time driving with the emergency brake on, going 20 mph and stopping in the middle of the road whenever he wanted to look at something. The best part was when we got to Skyland lodge, he wanted to get a picture with us. He politely asked an elderly couple to take our picture, and by politely I mean he yelled "YOU TAKE PHOTO" at them. The couple looked petrified but took our picture anyway. I still get a pretty good laugh whenever I think about it.

Does anyone know if there's an issue with parking cars at the entrance stations like at Rockfish Gap or Thornton gap? I'm thinking of hiking the Shenandoah starting in April in sections and figured that would be a good place to leave a car. I've seen cars parked there before but wondered if they were allowed for several days at a time.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++