WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Gainesville GA to Amicalola Falls- Ride Needed

Hey y'all! Today is looking better than yesterday. I am hoping to catch the overnight train to GA Tuesday night. That means I'll be in Gainesville GA Wednesday morning at 7am. Since I did not need a ride (until now), I did not look into any of the shuttles. Who can tell me what kind of shuttles are available from Gainesville to Amicalola? Any recs? Any one/service I should avoid?

Thanks for everything!

Images

Default From the Whiteblaze Website

Getting to Amicalola Falls/Springer Mountain

Getting to Amicalola Falls State Park, Georgia

From the Atlanta Airport: You can use the MARTA trains to either the Greyhound station or the Amtrak station. MARTA, (404)848-4711.
    To get to either of them take the MARTA train north from the airport.
    For the Greyhound station exit the train at Garnett station at 232 Forsyth Street.

For the Amtrak station: exit at the Arts Center station and take bus #23 or walk to the Amtrak station on Peachtree Street aprox. 1 mile north. Other options from the airport to the bus and train stations include taxis and the Atlanta Airport Shuttle, (404)524-3400, a privately owned bus service. The shuttle vans leave the airport every 20 minutes from stall #10 of airport’s ground-transportation area, bound for the bus station and Amtrak station. After reaching one of these stations your options multiply.

Gainesville: Two buses and one Amtrak train leave daily from Atlanta.

Greyhound: (800) 231-2222, www.greyhound.com.
    Amtrak: Reservations are required. (800) 872-7245, www.amtrak.com.

Gainesville to Amicalola Falls State Park
    UNITAXI, (770) 534-5355 or (770) 297-0255, offers service to the state park ($55 fare); transports dogs and accepts only cash or traveler’s checks. Service to trailheads at Nimblewill Gap(2.2 miles S. of Springer mountain) and USFS 42 (.9 mile S. of Springer mountain)are available for an additional cost.

Dahlonega-Hostel: A.T. Hiker Hostel run by Josh and Leigh Saint, (770)312-7342, www.hikerhostel.com., administrator(at)hikerhostel.com, $55 thru-hikers special includes pickup at N. Springs MARTA station in Atlanta, overnight stay in hostel, resupply stop at outfitters, B, and shuttle to Springer or Amicalola. Gear shipment to hostel available.

Survivor Daves' Trail Shuttle: 678-469-0978 www.atsurvivordave.com. <atsurvivordave(at)yahoo.com>Roswell, Ga.
    Provides shuttle services to/from major areas including Atlanta Airport, Gainesville Bus/AMTRAK Terminal, and North Springs MARTA Station to Amicalola Falls State Park, Springer Mountain (via FS 42), Woody Gap, Neels Gap, Unicoi Gap, Dick's Creek Gap and as far as Fontana Dam. Will stop at the outfitter and/or supermarket for supplies (time permitting).
    Reasonable rates. 24 hours notice please. Leave a message, he will get back within a short time.

Alternatives:
    Several Trail enthusiasts in the Atlanta area offer shuttles. The ATC usually has an updated list each year. Arrangements with these folks are best made at least a week or two in advance. Check the ATC website under “Shuttle List” for the updated list. If you prefer a hard copy write to the ATC, attn: Shuttle List , 799 Washington St. Harpers Ferry, WV 25425-0807.</atsurvivordave(at)yahoo.com>

I am going with the Saint's and the hiker hostel. The thru Hiker special seems like a great deal. I have also heard great things about survivor Dave's shuttle from other hikers. Hey, I will see you out there as I will be starting the approach trail on Tuesday!
    Last edited by Iceaxe; 03-13-2011 at 11:39.
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

Iceaxe, im not sure if that is updated information. Not sure about the other info but as far as Hiker Hostel is concerned they charge $75 for the thru hiker special and $40 from Gainesville to Hiker Hostel or Amicalola SP

Images

Default Updated Info required

Yea, you are right. I just cut and pasted the info from WB. Perhaps that can be updated by a site Admin.
    Anyhow I knew it was $75 and still feel that is a smokin' deal for me.
    Sorry, didn't mean to mislead anyone.
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

Thanks Iceaxe. I'm going to try to work something out with the hostel. I appreciate the help.

++ New Posts ++