WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible?

Default Is it possible?

I am a 67 year old lady who is 5 feet tall. I am in good health and pretty strong. I would really like to know if it is actually possible for someone my size to make it up and over the rock formations found on the trail? I want so much to hike the AT, but after spending hours reading journals and looking at trail photos, I wonder if it is possible. My hwh stands for Happy When Hiking.
    Thanks very much.

Just Hitting My Stride!

I don't know the answer to your question, but the fact that you are contemplating going is an inspiration to us all. Good luck and hike on.

There is an 89 YO man on the trail right now. I can't remember exactly where he is at. He hikes about 6-9 miles a day. I believe in you that you can. I suggest getting a physical and do cardo exercises long before leaving.

Images

While ridgerunning, I have met many hikers that fit your physical size. Some in very good shape, some not so much. Although I never hiked with them, they got wherever anyone else had made it, eventually. I say go out and hike, you'll figure it out.
    -milkman

got soul?

Images

Cimarron is on the trail right now, he'll turn 89 during his hike. He was in Georgia when I met him last week. He's not that tall, either.

Plenty of small people have thru-hiked, including small children. You should be fine.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I don't think size matters. I hiked with a 5 foot, 60 yr old lady for about 800 miles a couple of years ago and she did fine. In fact I had a hard time keeping up at times and I'm a foot talller and a couple of years younger then she.

Most importantly is to find out if your bones are strong enough to handle an occasional spill and if your heart is in good shape and can take the stress.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks so much everyone. I really appreciate all the responses. Hope to see some of you on the trail before long. May just have consider myself a hiker and see if the thru part works out. My motto for life (marriage, raising children, and hiking) is "stay flexible".

Happy

Images

You did not give a lot of information. Are you contemplating a thru hike? Do you have gear/clothing? Are you experienced in backpacking/camping?

Here is my thought: Get out and do it. You can not finish anything that you don't start. Does not matter at all if you don't complete a planned hike. It does matter if you never try. I am not a thru hiker, and I don't give a second thought to the miles I don't do. I celebrate the miles I do make.

I recommend going as light as possible, and if your body tells you to stop. Then stop.

hwh, where I live, 67 is viewed as young! Of course you can do it! When I returned to the Trail as a teenager of 44, my mantra was, "If Granny Gatewood could do it, I can do it." And I could. And so can you! Your attitude will get you up and over the big rocks, far more than height will.

Images

Go for it...... you can always take it easy or even go home and take a break!

yes, it's possible. just know your abilities and plan to hike within them. you'll find many hikers in their 60s and 70s on the trail.

The first time I hiked in Maine I blew out my knee and spent several days recuperating. After a few days slacking I hiked Katahdin. Going up was fine but coming down was incredibly painful. Just when I thought I wasn't going to make it back down several ladies were coming up - not a one of them under 70. I just stopped and started clapping.

Based on how you described yourself I have no doubt you can do it.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

I agree with the poster above...give it a try. It may be more difficult in some places but maybe easier in others. It's all mental and goes back to the... "whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right". I hiked with a wonderful woman from NH?VT? last year by the name of Jaybird for a bit. She was a very tiny woman and a retired librarian who fit the stereotypical image of the same. She finished...she was probably the most determined hiker I met last year, she was very slow but compensated by hiking from dawn to dusk and taking minimal extended breaks like the rest of us. I have the utmost respect for her and hope that she sees this post but I don't think she is on WB.

Journal Entries

There was a older lady hiking this past year about 5 ft tall weighed no more than 80 lbs from what I could tell. Happiest person I ever did see. Carried her tent in one hand the whole time.

You can do it.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Journal Entries

Just get some gear and head for Amicalola or Baxter and start hiking. Plan very short days at first and see how it goes. A one year thru hike may not be possible. But the fun is the hours and days spent on the trail. How far you get each day -- or each year -- should not matter.

Anything is possible if you want it bad enough.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by hwh View Post
    I would really like to know if it is actually possible for someone my size to make it up and over the rock formations found on the trail?
    Yes, there are only a few places where you'll have a harder time than someone smaller. You might be surprise when most of those places are going down instead of up. Plenty of people shorter than your are manage just fine. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by hwh View Post
    I am a 67 year old lady who is 5 feet tall. I am in good health and pretty strong. I would really like to know if it is actually possible for someone my size to make it up and over the rock formations found on the trail? I want so much to hike the AT, but after spending hours reading journals and looking at trail photos, I wonder if it is possible. My hwh stands for Happy When Hiking.
    Thanks very much.
    totally disreguard the exoperts on these websites. just go walkin'. you'll be fine

Images

At 64, I don't spend a lot of time thinking about what I shouldn't do, or can't do. I tend to push the physical part, but I listen to my body and occasionally my wife. Seems to work well for most things.
    Simple is good.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    totally disreguard the exoperts on these websites. just go walkin'. you'll be fine
    +1!! Enjoy The Journey
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++