WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Harpers Ferry bridge closed

Just posted recently by the ATC on their website and Facebook page:

The Goodloe E. Byron Memorial Footbridge (where the A.T. crosses the Potomac River in Harpers Ferry, W.Va.) is closed until further noticed due to flooding. We'll post another update as soon as the bridge reopens.
    (3/11/11)
    The FB page has a photo where you can see how high the Potomac is rising. Guess there's more repair work coming up for the C&O Canal towpath.

Images

OUCH!

So, its early March 2006, I have 8 days blocked out for my Spring hike, did not want to defer my hike, head to Harpers Ferry NOBO vs Boiling Springs SOBO...........little sleep, cold, 52 lb pack (stupid heavy), leave the ATC HQ and get to the AT..............if there is ever a place where there should be a LARGE, PROUD, N MAINE S GEORGIA SIGN, IT SHOULD BE RIGHT THERE.

Of course, I go right vs left, bottom line, if you cross two rivers heading North out of Harpers Ferry you went the wrong way. Trust me, in the snow and ice heading South up the hills then turning North on the old AT is a tough way to begin a section hike.

I guess based on this post that is the option..............so a year later I made up that small piece so as to honestly connect the dots and continued.

Big rains, glad that the water table will be up this year, 2010 in VA was DRY, to a concerning level.

Images

This happened last Spring too. It's crazy the amount of water coming through there. The town itself has a history of flooding. I pray this doesn't get that bad.

National Weather Service, Harpers Ferry Flood Level Chart

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...lwx&gage=hfew2
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

So i guess the AT is officially closed then becuase they are doing bridge work on the Potomac Bridge anc the walkways are closed so the old AT highwater route is also not available at this time. So a car shuttle from the Ferry to the MD side would be the only way.

Default Bridge re-opened

Posted about an hour ago on the ATC FB page:

The Potomac River at Harpers Ferry crested earlier this afternoon and water is receding. The Appalachian Trail across the Goodloe Byron Memorial Footbridge has re-opened.

Just asking, I thought a few days ago I read somewhere that the East Coast is still in a drought? Maybe Im mistaken, but if there is flooding, I think that kinda puts out the word about drought. Unless I am wrong and it floods during drought...

That is just what i read and been hearing.. Im glad its backopen and the water is receeding... That is good news..
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

++ New Posts ++