WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I think buying a $20-$30 postal scale might save you more weight overall than buying a $200 tent.

It'll help you make decisions about what needs upgrades, what needs to be left behind, and whats "worth it."

The lightest things you carry are the ones you left behind. They're pretty damn cheap, too.

Well the best part is when you figure it out on the trail there's always the post office!!!

Images

I don't think I would dump the hand sanitizer because you'll need it after you dump, if you know what I mean! Bad hygene after going potty can make you sick.

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    I don't think I would dump the hand sanitizer because you'll need it after you dump, if you know what I mean! Bad hygene after going potty can make you sick.
    This. While many people attribute sickness to "must be the water" its more common to get sick on the trail due to poor hygiene than anything else.

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

How soon are you starting your hike?

Don't know if this will help you at all, but here is what I'm bringing - my pack before food/H2O is just under 20 lbs:

Backpack
    Compactor bag liner

Sleeping bag
    Sleeping pad
    Sleeping bag liner (some will tell you it's not necessary, I feel it is for the extra warmth as well as keeping my oils/dirt away from my down bag)

Lightweight wool thermal top
    Lightweight wool thermal bottom
    Heavyweight thermal top
    Heavyweight thermal bottom
    1 pair shorts
    1 short sleeve shirt
    1 longsleeve breathable/sun-resistant shirt
    1 windshirt
    1 down camp jacket
    1 pair Dri-Ducks bottoms (wind/rain/snow)
    1 Packa (rain jacket/poncho/pack cover) combo
    1 pair undies
    4 pairs of socks - 1 pair for dry camp socks always
    Balaclava
    Wool winter hat with ear flaps and visor
    Mittens
    Gaiters
    Speedo water shoes for camp shoes
    Hiking boot/shoe

Pepsi can stove
    1 windscreen/pot stand
    Bottle of alcohol (8 oz, I think)
    Firesteel
    Titanium spoon (husband has fork)
    1 compact Bic lighter
    1 titanium cup (holds just over 2 C H2O, I believe)
    1L platypus
    2 gatorade bottles
    Water pump

(I'm a girl, so . . . )
    Travel-sized shampoo
    Travel-sized conditioner
    Dr. Bronner's in small container
    Toothbrush w/ sawed off handle
    Travel-sized toothpaste
    Small container of floss
    Lip balm
    Combo mirror/brush
    Small sponge for bathing/tent condensation

Handful of Band-Aids
    A bit of moleskin
    20 ft. of duct tape
    A couple safety pins
    A bit of Neosporin
    Ibuprofen
    Benadryl
    Immodium
    Tweezer and nail clippers (if not on your knife)
    Alcohol pads

Small journal
    Pen
    Digital camera
    Headlamp
    Few extra batteries for headlamp and digital camera
    AWOL's 2011 "AT Guide"
    Various stuff sacks to hold gear
    Leatherman Micra multitool

And that's what I'm bringing - I would have preferred a weight closer to 15 lbs but that would require a lower-weight sleeping bag and backpack, neither of which I'm willing to do, mostly because I'm broke and what I have works well for me
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Images

Forgot hand sanitizer and TP and deodorant . . . .
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

~ Dolly Parton

Good luck, Morris!! I hope you do well.

litefoot 2000

Images

Default Guide?

Last year when we first started planning our AT hike, we ordered both the Data Book and the Thru-Hiker's Companion. Last month I compiled a tentative resupply sheet from the info in the Companion, and lo and behold when we got our AT Guide, he already had all the information I wanted laid out in an extremely easy-to-read format!

So we're just bringing the Guide and I'm making additional notes concerning historic sites along the trail that the Guide unfortunately leaves out. Not a deal-breaker for me, as I can just supplement.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

~ Dolly Parton

Morris, I just had a thought. Why don't you search for a gear list on this site that has been posted by a former thru hiker. I'll bet that would help. I just see you guys carrying so, so many things that I don't carry. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just that you can easily have a 70lb. backpack full of ultralite stuff. Personally, I hate keeping up with all the stuff, not to mention the weight. If you want to learn what to carry on a NOBO thru hike, go to Maine for your interview, not Georgia.

litefoot 2000

Images

Quote Originally Posted by F-Stop View Post
    Last year when we first started planning our AT hike, we ordered both the Data Book and the Thru-Hiker's Companion. Last month I compiled a tentative resupply sheet from the info in the Companion, and lo and behold when we got our AT Guide, he already had all the information I wanted laid out in an extremely easy-to-read format!

So we're just bringing the Guide and I'm making additional notes concerning historic sites along the trail that the Guide unfortunately leaves out. Not a deal-breaker for me, as I can just supplement.
    friend of JAK
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Let's not forget one major thing here. The guy tips in at a biscut under 300 lbs. His pack will never be light compared to others. His clothes are almost double in weight due to the size of a XXXL . His sleeping bag probally is very heavy as well. Then he needs a large heavy pack to hold this stuff, getting him down to a 20lb base would be very tough.

Thanks all. Yea lightfoot I have been looking at lists for a long time. I believe mainly my tent seems heavy. I took off unneeded pieces and stuff like the tarp etc to drastically lower the amount of weight. Down to 29lbs and some change without food or water. Doesn't seem terribly bad. I got hold of a scale and weighed everything. Only other thing that seems terribly heavy is digital camera but I'm willing to take that weight for what it gives.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    friend of JAK
    I'm guessing he contributed/wrote the Companion?
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

~ Dolly Parton

Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    Let's not forget one major thing here. The guy tips in at a biscut under 300 lbs. His pack will never be light compared to others. His clothes are almost double in weight due to the size of a XXXL . His sleeping bag probally is very heavy as well. Then he needs a large heavy pack to hold this stuff, getting him down to a 20lb base would be very tough.
    XXL shirts and sleeping bag only 1.7lbs. Tent what killed me with my size as one person tent was tiny. But yea pack is an Osprey Eather 60L like 5lbs I think. I'm pretty happy with 30lb base. Doesn't seem bad at all when I've hiked with 35lbs or so.

Journal Entries
    Images

Looking at your list without weights posted makes me think that some of your main items are heavy, ie sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tent, backpack, stove, pot, etc. Obviously the best way to reduce their weight is to purchase lighter items. Some alternatives have already been given.

Some observations:
    knife or multi tool - if it is a big Rambo type knife leave it home
    consider an alcohol stove - check out antigravitygear
    does your tent have a rain fly in addition to your tarp poncho?
    if poncho is main rain gear, definitely need that as well as tent rain fly

Concur:
    only one light source needed
    definitely keep hand sanitizer
    any long underwear? - long underwear pants might take the place of winter pants - and be lighter

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

some observations

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    Like do I really need the tarp that comes with the tent? Personally I've never used one before when hiking/camping but been raining like crazy last 2 weeks so wasn't sure. What I've read online is mixed about it.
    It depends on what you mean by tarp.
    Probably your tent is a double wall tent, an inner tent that is breathable but NOT waterproof and a waterproof fly that goes over it. You definitely need the fly or you'll get soaked in any rain. Some people carry what's called a footprint, a piece of nylon that goes underneath the tent; you do not need the footprint. Any additional tarp is not needed.

Why don't you post the exact model of tent, stove, backpack, and sleeping bag and pad. Often places like campmor, EMS or REI list their weights. OK, to start, pack = Osprey Aether (5 lb 1 oz).

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    It depends on what you mean by tarp.
    Probably your tent is a double wall tent, an inner tent that is breathable but NOT waterproof and a waterproof fly that goes over it. You definitely need the fly or you'll get soaked in any rain. Some people carry what's called a footprint, a piece of nylon that goes underneath the tent; you do not need the footprint. Any additional tarp is not needed.

Why don't you post the exact model of tent, stove, backpack, and sleeping bag and pad. Often places like campmor, EMS or REI list their weights. OK, to start, pack = Osprey Aether (5 lb 1 oz).
    yea footprint what i meant. Seems pointless, old tent doesnt even come with one. Tent is a Marmot Limelight 2 Person. Propane Stove is a Coleman weights 6.5 oz. Sleeping bag is a mountain western or something. Had it for 6+ years has been amazing. Weighs 1.7lbs says on tag. Sleeping pad is a Thermarest Trail Large. Didn't go proLite cause difference in price between large sizes of two brands was 50 bucks and difference of roughly a pound in weight.

I may be way off but 29lbs 10 oz before water/food I'm pretty happy with being a big guy and needing larger gear.

Morris, let me just add to your confusion. Have you considered a tarp only for a shelter? What I mean by this is an 8x10 silicone impregnated tarp, such as made by Integral Designs. Mine weighs 15 ounces with 5 stakes and guys. This would reduce your base weight by probably 4 pounds. And as for room, you can easily sleep three people under it. If you are careful with site selection, you will stay drier under it than in a tent. No fooling. You erect it with either trekking poles or sticks found in the woods.

litefoot 2000

Images

Quote Originally Posted by litefoot 2000 View Post
    Have you considered a tarp only for a shelter?
    How do you keep mosquitoes from eating you?
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

~ Dolly Parton

Quote Originally Posted by F-Stop View Post
    How do you keep mosquitoes from eating you?

Bugs do go to sleep when it gets dark. You have no protection in a shelter.

litefoot 2000

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++