WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Well I'm glad you're back
    Now that's hiker Love
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions. I have looked into the Carvers Gap to 19E hike and think this might be our best bet...besides it has ponies If we make this a two night trek and we stay at the overthemountain shelter the first night where might you suggest we camp the second night? I do have a 2 person tent we were planning on taking. For the record my daughter is grown...lol My first post sounded like she was a little girl. We are from Charleston SC and dont get much hills but we are walking the bridge on the weekends to help with the ups and downs hill. Thanks again.

Images

Actually, Carvers Gap to 19E won't have ponies. It does have fabulous bald mountains, though. And it's a pretty straight shot up I-26 most of the way for you.

If you are hiking from Carvers towards 19E there's a campsite in Bradley Gap, but that's not very far from Overmountain Shelter. As you start the long descent, there's a dry campsite just after you enter the woods. And you could possibly camp at Apple House Shelter, leaving you an easy hike out on your last day.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

www.tnhikingforums.com double j's Avatar
    Images

there is no ponies but i did see horses. i did brown fork gap shelter to noc in a day even took me a lil nap on cheoah bald its beautiful up there . and there is water at locust cove right before the bald. Where ever you go just take your time and enjoy your hike

Bummer no ponies! I'm so burnt out trying to figure out where to go... I appreciate all the input. We are definitely going to Joyce Kilmer the first day after we drive from Charleston...quick hike with flowers. Have reservations near by the first night. Not sure if we want to drive 3-4 hours the next day to Carvers Gap since we probably need to start early. Whatever we do I'll fill you in...thanks so much for the input.

That camping is nice on Cheoah Bald. there is a blue-blaze trail that drops off the back side to a spring about 200 yards (downhill). the option (as you are going south toward Cheoah) is to take the Bartram trail, just before you get to the summit. It is about .3 miles to a small creek crossing where you can get water. this route is not as steep as from the top of Cheoah.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Images

Some video of my hike....

Images

I hiked through that section a week ago, it was a long climb and one to not be underestimated. The gap right before the bald heading south is said to have water but when I hiked through one of the other hikers told me that there was no water but instead a water hole. There is a sign on top of the mountain that says water 0.5 miles downhill on top of the bald, I once again decided not to go see if that one was good either but instead push on towards the shelter. The shelter had a GREAT gushing piped spring! The shelter faced into the wind alittle bit but it wasn't to bad. There was mice there but it didn't bother any of us there since we had our food and packs hanged up.

NOC is a nice place and I think it would be a good place to have your car parked, but not sure as I didn't have a car. Enjoy your hike and just take it slow and easy, don't worry about miles just make sure you smile. Also try not to head out on a rainy day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++