WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Connecticut Trail Conditions

Anyone know whether the Housatonic is flooding the AT in Kent, Sharon, Falls Village, etc? The weather reports have it above flood stage. Any word from the field?

Also, it will be useful to have a thread generally on trail conditions in CT, hence the name.

Cheers!
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Anyone know whether the Housatonic is flooding the AT in Kent, Sharon, Falls Village, etc? The weather reports have it above flood stage. Any word from the field?

Also, it will be useful to have a thread generally on trail conditions in CT, hence the name.

Cheers!
    It rose eight feet overnight and to the top of my deck in Shelton

I can only imagine that it is above banks farther north as well.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

AT 2012

was out on some land trust land in Wallingford CT earlier today... never seen the streams more full or the trail so wet -- still a bit of snow in the woods to make it even more interesting. we sure got a lot of rain yesterday.
    Lazarus

Images

Umm - well - I'm planning to hike from New York to MA next week -Driver 8 is my shuttle driver and advisor - guess I better bring extra socks, a pack towel, and be prepared to swim the trail a bit - won't be the first time - maybe the hammock will get the nod over the tent for a change .....

Journal Entries

Is there ice on the trail? I'm heading out to bear mtn this weekend gonna bang out Salisbury to great barrington, which is only possible 22 miles if there is little ice.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Images

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    Is there ice on the trail? I'm heading out to bear mtn this weekend gonna bang out Salisbury to great barrington, which is only possible 22 miles if there is little ice.
    I'm betting on significant ice above 2K feet, Bread. I'd say Bear, Everett, Race, Sages Ravine south side.

When I was at Race Brook Falls 2/26, there was tons of ice and snow, especially above 1K feet (snow cover was all the way down to the valley, though melting during the day below 1K. I'd bet that's risen to 2K feet, but I wouldn't think much higher.

The rain coming Thurs is supposed to be heavy in that area, question is whether it will be all rain in the higher reaches and whether it'll be enough to melt everything. I'd bet against that.

Drew:

My car is too small for a canoe. Sorry!

Seriously, if you want to start further north, say, Great Falls and work your way into Mass, that could be done - Housy will be flooding the AT in the flats near Sheffield, though, for sure.

I think your main problem in CT will be the river walk section in Kent and areas around Great Falls. You could yellow blaze around those. Don't see too many good blue blaze bypass options for those.

more rain forecasted for this weekend. The "stream" at sages Ravine should be cranking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mark schofield View Post
    more rain forecasted for this weekend. The "stream" at sages Ravine should be cranking.
    Do you know, does Sages Ravine Brook ever become impassable? If so, now would be a good bet for that. There are available blue blaze bypasses. Easiest would probably be to take bridge over to campsite, then catch trail that runs on north side of ravine. Not as scenic, but for views one could drop down on the AT to the "state line."

I would be interested about the latest trail conditions of Salisbury south if anyone has them? Thinking of doing a couple day hike this week.

Images

Hiked this weekend from Jug End south to the Undermountian Trail (bypassed Bear via the Paradise Lane trail). The trail is snow covered for the majority requiring snowshoes. There are only a couple of blowdowns easily by passed. We spent the night at Race Brook. The privy at Laural Ridge campsite dodged a bullet as a large tree directly behind the privy snapped and fell away from the privy. As expected the north slopes of Everett & Race have the most snow with the south facing slopes having less to none. The ridge walk on Race requires snowshoes due to deep drifts. We managed to rock hop across the the brook in Sages (rocks just under the surface) as it receded enough from last Friday's flooding. The high water mark looked to be 12-18" above the level when we crossed which would be impassable. The snow depth from the crossing up to SR campsite was 4 to 5'. Extreme care should be taken as the snow has obliterated the trail. I met two guys at the crossing who post holed - waist deep - (north bound) their way down (very dumb). They made the hike up to the campsite very demanding and dangerous when using snowshoes. The hike out to the Undermountian trailhead via Paradise Lane was snow covered until the intersection with the UMT.

M. Bird

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Migrating Bird View Post
    Hiked this weekend from Jug End south to the Undermountian Trail (bypassed Bear via the Paradise Lane trail). The trail is snow covered for the majority requiring snowshoes. There are only a couple of blowdowns easily by passed. We spent the night at Race Brook. The privy at Laural Ridge campsite dodged a bullet as a large tree directly behind the privy snapped and fell away from the privy. As expected the north slopes of Everett & Race have the most snow with the south facing slopes having less to none. The ridge walk on Race requires snowshoes due to deep drifts. We managed to rock hop across the the brook in Sages (rocks just under the surface) as it receded enough from last Friday's flooding. The high water mark looked to be 12-18" above the level when we crossed which would be impassable. The snow depth from the crossing up to SR campsite was 4 to 5'. Extreme care should be taken as the snow has obliterated the trail. I met two guys at the crossing who post holed - waist deep - (north bound) their way down (very dumb). They made the hike up to the campsite very demanding and dangerous when using snowshoes. The hike out to the Undermountian trailhead via Paradise Lane was snow covered until the intersection with the UMT.

M. Bird
    Great report, Bird. Accompanied Papa D up Race Brook Falls trail yesterday to the top of the falls (about 1600 elevation, having crossed both the southern switchback at about 1400 and the bottom of the main upper falls at about 1500). Snow was patchy at lower elevations near Rt. 41, wet and melting all the way up, more frozen with elevation. Predictably, near the brook atop the ridge the snow was much deeper, about 18" to two feet.

I let Papa D move along to the AT and went over to the brook to take pictures and video.

The melting snow on the slopy mountainside was significantly harder to negotiate than was the much more frozen, deeper snow of two weeks ago. Much more slippery and gave way a lot even with spikes grabbing into it. I found myself preferring wet ice to snow, as it was firmer. Even though it was melting, too, it gave a lot less and was just soft enough for the spikes to get a good grip.

The falls were gorgeous and entirely free of ice. Raging at a pretty good clip. I saw falls below the main upper falls which two weeks ago were invisible b/c iced and snowed under. Very pretty stuff. I'll post video and photos and will link to them here.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by redseal View Post
    I would be interested about the latest trail conditions of Salisbury south if anyone has them? Thinking of doing a couple day hike this week.
    Wet ice and snow, melting fast, is probably what you will run into a lot of. More white stuff in shaded areas, north sides of hills, etc. The Housy, per weather reports, is slowly receding, so in a couple days the Riverwalk should be more manageable. One thing for sure - it's beautiful out there, and the streams and rivers are running strong.

Images

Was out Friday at NY state line, meeting up with Papa D, who finished his section hike from Race Brook Falls. I walked the first quarter mile of CT - it was muddy there in the low lands. Papa D reported that it was still snowy on the north facing slopes and in shady areas on trail. Probably mucky in every low-lying area. But spring is on its way. North side of Bear was doable for an expert like Papa, but will lag the rest of CT in its thaw. He rated St. John's Ledges as the toughest part of the trail in CT, with Barak Matiff also tough.

We visited Kent Falls, across the Housy from the River Walk. The falls were running fast, and the trails were patchy ice. Very nice.

Images

Default falls village to sages ravine

Shot up there on sat. into sun. was still wet snow on the trail in spots, but the back side of bear was still somewhat hairy. Lil muddy in spots during the day but it was a beutiful weekend up there. Nice change from the eastern trails in ct. Going back up bear was even more fun. If it wasn't a challeng a lil bit it would be boring.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hiked from Salisbury south to West Cornwall this weekend. Icy patches in the shady spots, trail was pretty wet and sloppy on occasion and there was some post holing snow in the meadow at Rands View, but it was all totally passable. Nice time to be out there.

Images

CT was fun - wish I had seen some of y'all out there - a little lonely at times -no other backpackers really - Driver 8 was a great source of info for me - i pretty much post-holed in snow south to Limestone Springs Shelter and then more snow and slush to New York. The river walk along the river was wet too - all passable though - the single hardest area was Sages Ravine on the CT side - deep soft snow up to my knees.

All very helpful info, thanks guys.

Would be good to keep this thread live until all the snow is gone whenever you all are out there.

Images

We recieved 2-3 inches of snow today in MA near the AT/I90. I suspect that there was more at elevations above 1500 ft.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Migrating Bird View Post
    We recieved 2-3 inches of snow today in MA near the AT/I90. I suspect that there was more at elevations above 1500 ft.
    It snowed down here at 70 feet above sea level and 33 miles inland (Hartford area), too, but it didn't stick, except some on the grass. Changed over to all rain at about 1 pm.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    CT was fun - wish I had seen some of y'all out there - a little lonely at times -no other backpackers really - Driver 8 was a great source of info for me - i pretty much post-holed in snow south to Limestone Springs Shelter and then more snow and slush to New York. The river walk along the river was wet too - all passable though - the single hardest area was Sages Ravine on the CT side - deep soft snow up to my knees.
    Thanks, Papa D:

It was fun meeting you and hiking with you. I am definitely in season now - had a lovely hike in the Hartford area, about 10 miles north of Rattlesnake Mtn (TV towers mtn with nice crowning cliffs that we passed near New Britain). Talcott Mtn - tallest on the Metacomet Ridge in the Hartford area at a grand 954', rising about 750 from its base. Could see our friend Bear Mtn from the summit. I'll be back out there asap.

Look forward to seeing you down Georgia way soon. Happy trails!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++