WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 100 Mile Wilderness - weather in Spring

I want to do a long hike in late April/early May and was thinking about doing the 100 mile wilderness. I'm not familiar with the weather in that region. Does anyone know what the temperature and precipitation would be like at that time of year? If it would be rainy and cold the whole time, I would probably just go somewhere with nicer weather. One thing I'm worried about is if the spring showers would make fording the streams difficult or impossible.

If you search the site, you will learn that spring anywhere along the AT in Maine (or NH) is probably not a good place to go, In april you will still have snow pack in many locations and where there isnt snowspack there is melting which leads to significant run off. Maine also tends to get a lot of precipiation in late april and May. The trail goes through many lowlands in the 100 mile widlerness and they will be mud bogs or flooded. Various streams that hikers can ford, will require significant detours to find a a way over them.If you search for Baxter State Park opening dates, frequently, the road to Katahdin Stream campground isnt even open until very late May or early June. Oh by the way, if we get an early spring, the blakc flies will quickly move in and make things very unpleasant (full bug netting required from dawn to dusk).

Do yourself a favor and head south. PA, NJ and western NY tend to be more rocky ridges and highlands so it tends to be a bit drier hiking.

Images

Expect lingering snow, at least in the higher elevations. High water in the streams making fording tough or impossible and lots of mud. We have a lot of snow to melt away this year. Heavy rains today and yesterday will add to the water content of the snow-pack. Heavy snow is predicted for today up north and more on the way this week. This winter has been just about the opposite of last winter.

I have a place about 25 miles north of Monson. There is between 3 and 4 feet of snow on the ground as of March 4th. That is without drifting.

Cool to cold temps (below freezing) are still possible with rain and even a little snow in your time frame, more or less 8 weeks away.

I would be most concerned about the fording this spring. Just my opinion.

Thanks, guys. That's helpful. I guess I figured that was the answer I would get considering I've been caught in snow in the Smokies in April.

++ New Posts ++