WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Compasses!

Default Compasses!

I've been looking at a few compasses, and was wandering if something like the Suunto M-9 wrist compass will do, or if something like the Brunton 16DLU mirror sighting compass is recommended instead. When would you use one over the other? Would a basic baseplate compass, say the Silva Explorer 203 work? I guess what I'm asking is what are the features to look for? Do I need a scale and/or sight when it comes to compasses?

Please.. don't refer to GPS. ;o)

Hash House Harrier

Depends on your intended purpose. Many thru-hikers choose to save a few ounces and not bring one at all. There's not a lot of backcountry navigation to be done along the AT, so you won't really use it much.

By "not a lot." He means none.
    SweetAss

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

They are right for just the AT or any well established eastern trails you do not need a compass. I would suggest some thing like the Silva Forecaster 610. The compass and thermometer is nice to have when you are curious and it hangs out of the way on a pack strap. If you need a compass I would suggest something like the Silva Guide 426 I have an older model I carry always because it is the one I have. I have had it since my exploring the Mojave desert days. Now on the trails back east including the AT it is just nice to have and more often than not to use the mirror. It just hangs around my neck with my whistle which I also really don't need.
    Alcohol was involved!

Indeed, it depends on what you're using it for. My watch has a compass built-in, and IMO that's plenty on the AT. For something more "wilderness", less well marked or even non-existent trails, situations where you're asking yourself "which of those are the pass I should be going up?" --- in those cases it's worth having a good compass.

With absolutely nothing snide implied towards the O.P. (about whom I know nothing), I do suggest that someone even asking that question might want to upgrade their overall navigation skills, either via a locally offered course, or by reading stuff and practicing on your own.

I wrote part of the navigation part of a FAQ for PCT thru-hikers, here. That includes links to three places where you can pick up some navigation info online, then practice on your own (initially at least with whatever compass you already have available or can borrow).
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Garlic
    Images

Good advice (and articles referenced) above.

If you're new at map and compass work, just get a cheapie to start with and if you get into real orienteering later then get the suitable tools. I've never had to take accurate sightings where a mirror would have made a difference, and I've done a lot of off-trail navigating. My old $10 Silva does fine, and I didn't even take that on the AT. I can get +/- 5 degree accuracy with it and that suits me fine for hiking. When I was on a fire crew, we had excellent compasses (and training to go with them).

The compass really is a small part of orienteering. Staying alert to your surroundings and route (using your head) is much more important.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Sorry allow me to be more clear. For the AT...you don't need one. For other trails such as the PCT you will need one.
    I realize that it is part of the ten essentials but the AT is marked about every 20 feet and let's be honest here...you are never more than a mile from a road or two.
    SweetAss

It's not a bad idea to have just a button compass (a lot of first aid kits have them, most people throw them out to save weight) or something to have a general direction of travel, just incase you get disoriented or forget which direction on the trail you were headed. Being the boy scout that I am, I use a lensatic compass and a map and go to town (pun intended), taking needless orientation readings purely for fun! Just get what you're comfortable with. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg for a quality compass, either (nobody on the trail needs a tritium lensatic compass). Side note- don't buy the cheapest compass out there, some of them get pretty sensitive around metals and magnets.

I bought a Suunto M3-D Leader. If you're looking for a good baseplate compass - I'd check into it.

I guess to answer your question a little better (sorry I get all excited when it comes to compasses and geek stuff)- I think for what you need, just get whatever compass you want. Most of the features are for taking bearings and establishing orientation according to fixed points and/or maps. For what you would probably use it for, it the wrist compass is convenient for you, get it. You probably don't need to get a lensatic compass or mirror plate compass. A regular baseplate compass would be nice for using with a map, if you are into that sort of thing.

I hike with a XG-55 watch from LaCrosse (http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/xg55/index.php). I think I paid $65 for it 3 years ago. It now looks like it is $99 direct but I found it on Amazon for $50 . A great deal! You get compass, altimeter, temperature and all the standard watch functions. I really like to keep track of my altitude when hiking. I'm not sure why, perhaps it just keeps me entertained. I have beat this watch up and wear it everyday and it just keeps on ticking. Then only issue I have is that the temperature does not read very will when you are wearing it. You need to take it off for about 10 minutes. Compare to other watches of this type, it is a real steal!

I put a compass map on my droid - it works like a charm. Oh, and it's free!
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

If you carry a map, you should have a compass IMO. If you aren't carrying a map, you aren't likely to need a compass. I carry both, anytime I'm out and about.

Ranc0r

Images

I have a little compass that fits on my watch band. I like being able to check the compass every once in a while, just to get a confirmation on my sense of direction.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I still use my Cammenga Tritium Lensatic compass that i got 25+ years ago all the time. It weighs a freaking ton but well worth the money if only because its built pretty much like a tank and will basically last longer than you.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

As others have said you don't have to have a compass to hike the AT but they can come in handy from time to time.

Twice I've relieved myself of anxiety about hiking the wrong way in the fog when I started out in the morning.

I also really like knowing where I am on a map and a compass really helps with that.

I also give a +1 to what Garlic said about keeping up with where you are. A book I read last year talks a lot about the best way not to get lost is to "stay found". Totally agree.

Thank you all for the wonderful advice, but I was more so asking when for examples of situations where I would need a simple compass, a baseplate compass, and a sighting compass both with and without maps..

OK, here...
    I was doing my first section hiking alone in NC. I approached the top of a mountain and took a short break on a ledge off the trail a bit. As I was relaxing, out of nowhere poped up a thunderstorm. I quickly put my pack cover on and decided to high-tail it off the top of the mountian. Unfortunally, in my hurry, I turned the wrong way on the trail. After trudging 2 miles down the hill in 6" of water I ran it a hiker going the other way. After I short discussion I realized I had gone the wrong way. Boy I felt stupid. Had I look at the small compass I had attached to my pack I would have seen this. This is why I carry a watch with a compass built in. Now having done this stupid act once, it has and never will happen again. Besides, the watch provide some sort of entertainment when the trail takes odd turns and heads south when you know you are on the trail northbound.

As a new section hiker I did nearly this same thing when I lost the Trail at an intersection. When I realized my mistake and once again found the Trail I was confused as to the direction I was traveling, sounds improbable but it was a cloudy day and the path was winding. The compass steered me wrong in this case as this section was actually heading south and it took another mile of backtracking to get my bearings. I still carry a watch that has a built in compass, old habits!
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

A good compass can become a nice keepsake over time, even if a bit heavy. I still have an old silva. Aluminum no plastic. I had a new leather pouch made after I lost the original. I will give it to me daughter eventually.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++