WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Default Backcountry Navigator Pro

Has anybody used Backcountry Navigator Pro software for a Droid phone on the AT? We are deciding how to do my journal entries. Okay, my family wants to know how to "watch" (follow me) me on the trail via GPS. Is there any good software for a Droid that would allow them to do that? [I do not like this idea, but we have to ask what we have to ask, y'know.] Anyway, we're buying the Droid tomorrow (maybe), and I would appreciate the info about the hiker application. Thanks.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

I missed this thread by a few weeks, but I'm curious what you've come up with since you got your droid. I've got an HTC Incredible that will be on the trail with me.

I've used Back Country Navigator strictly for navigating, and haven't explored its other features, but it's great for that purpose. I especially like the fact that I can cache the maps so they're readily available without signal, or if I leave the phone's radio turned off to save battery.

There are a number of GPS tracking programs out there for droid, including some APRS software and I think a findu.com app my friend used to show his location as he drove cross-country last summer with great success.

-Smalls

Registered User Diet Orange Soda's Avatar

I use the SPOT Messenger also called Find Me Spot and love it. My family can track me online and also I can let them know I am ok and call for 911 help if needed. I have ad one for two years now and love it. It works off satelites vs no cell phone coverage on the trail.

Have you looked into Latitude? That might work for you...
    TLC - Trails Loving Care

++ New Posts ++