WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pillows

Default Pillow - my luxury item.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Walker View Post
    ..... I have a Thermarest pillow that weights 10oz. Compresses very small. Its worth the weight for me....
    Same here - a Thermarest. Don't know the weight, I guess about 10 oz. It's not quite enough so I stash my extra clothes underneath it.

Baron
    Images

I use an REI-Branded down pillow.
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I am now using the Mont Bell inflatable pillow and like that.
    Some suggestions.
    The second one in from the right in the bottom row of your picture is an inflatable, disposable patient pillow obtainable from medical supply houses. It's also available in a slightly larger single air chamber version that I think is terrific!

I blow it up only a bit more than 1/2 way so it's "moldable" as I toss and turn over. I stuff it in a Thremarest fuzzy pillowcase, surrounded with a few pieces of extra clothing (I don't have much, 3 season, but even a handkerchief a pair of socks and a T shirt is enough). Rather than sleeping "on" the inflatable pillow the idea is simply for the air to provide some bulk inside the pillowcase so you don't have to stuff in a _lot_ of clothes, which compresses down to a hard wad by themselves.

Weight is pretty close to zero so I bring an extra. They are pretty cheap if you buy a dozen or so. I share with friends. Sometimes a pillow will develop a leak, unpredictable; I've had a blowouts in just a few nights, OTOH my current one has probably 50-60 nights on it.

The key to its longevity is making sure all the air is out, so if it's packed in your gear under pressure it doesn't blow out the seal. With a straw inserted in the valve I press out all the air I can, then suck out the last through the straw so it packs absolutely flat with no air inside.

If I have my fleece jacket I wrap that around the pillowcase and it's bigger and softer than my pillow at home!

After decades of trying everything, that has become the answer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    Who takes one and what kind? Are inflatible pillows a better choice then a regular small pillow. I know weigh-wise they are, but what if you spring a leak?
    I use a Packa, and nylon convertible pants. I zip off one of the pant legs, and slide the Packa into the pant leg. Makes a comfy pillow.
    Singletrack

Images

I have always used my extra clothes in my sleeping back sack as a pillow. I recently bought these:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...ht_pillow.html

I will still put my sleeping bag sack(Montbell UL SS bag) over the pillow.
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

I love the cocoon hyperlight pillow! Packs tiny and weighs 2.4oz.

http://www.rei.com/product/799192

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    Stuff my Marmot Zeus Down Jacket in it and I have a very comfortable down pillow for 2.7 ounces since I carry the Zeus anyway and don't wear it to bed....
    You carry a down jacket in the summer? (mumbling something about Yankees under my breath)

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Who takes one and what kind? Are inflatible pillows a better choice then a regular small pillow. I know weigh-wise they are, but what if you spring a leak?
    I carry a small pillow and add unworn (relatively clean) clothes. Being a side sleeper is tough on the trail. When I sleep in shelters (which is most of the time), I use my tent to add elevation.

One thing I always carry now is a pillow case. I cram everything that will be my pillow into a regular pillow case. This prevents unwashed hair from getting my tent bag and other "pillow items" oily. Also, it is much more comfortable than anything plastic would be.

Images

I use the LuxuryLite pillow which has an inflatable bladder inside it. Love it!
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Just Hitting My Stride!

I've tried the stuff sack with extra clothes and didn't like it. I finally settled on the Exped Air Pillow: Weight: 3 oz., Packed Size: 2.5 x 4.5 inches, Inflated Dimensions: 15 x 11 x 4 inches, Fabric: Tricot polyester

Images

Default Nothing like the real thing . . .

Lead me to the long green tunnel.

Images

Couple of years ago I met a lady in the Smokies that had a little inflatable pillow that came with a soft microfleece cover. She said she bought it in Wal-Mart for $5. I have yet to be able to find one in Wal-Mart or anywhere else. It was a nice size (some I've seen meant for hiking are just too small).
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mad4scrapping View Post
    How do you carry that little hiker in front like that? Clipped to the sternum strap?
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

irreverent
    Images

the exped inflatable pillow is ergonomically designed, lightweight, easy to inflate/deflate. it is also the most comfortable one i've tried yet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    How do you carry that little hiker in front like that? Clipped to the sternum strap?
    bungees, dude...jjeeezzzz....
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

On my last hike I brought two inflatable pillows but used them under my back instead of a pad.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

A 15 liter dry sack works well. Fill with air, roll up the end and snap close. Fill with as much air as you need for the desired comfort level. Most gear should be dual purpose. This is a great secondary use for dry sacks.

I'm a side sleeper too and the clothes just werent working. I need some support and i'm thinking the thermarest pillow looks good!

I use the little Thermarest demo thing that somebody gave me. You know, the little demo mattress that hangs with the displays. You can inflate and deflate as needed throughout the night. I usually fold it in half and it works for me. I'm never really comfortable sleeping on the trail, but this is the best alternative.

litefoot 2000

While I envy guys who are just fine using a stuff sack full of clothes, I need the real thing and my Thermarest pillow does just great.

Images

Default re: Pillows - Inflatable Pillow

I use a cheap fleece covered inflatable pillow from Walmart. Both Walmart and Target carry these for $5 and they're found in the suitcase/travel aisle. Academy Sports also carries these for just $2-3. Found these work well in hammocks as I can hook the pillow over my tarp line.

According to my packing list, the pillow and fleece cover are 4 ounces, which I don't mind. I count the pillow as part of my luxury allotment. I also use the pillow on long bus rides to/from the trail.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++