WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

LilRedMG, I think that may have been TMI.

You tell us that you aren't digging a cathole if you use a tree for back support during toileting. Hikers, like most of the world, find that the deep knee squat improves their aim and efficiency during toileting. This is not done as efficiently holding on to anything other than your knees as you complete the task, usually holding a portion of the seat of your pants to keep them out of the target zone.

My understanding was that urine belongs on the ground and not on plant material as deer and other critters will be attracted to the salt. You won't find my urine on your tree.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug
    LilRedMG, I think that may have been TMI.

You tell us that you aren't digging a cathole if you use a tree for back support during toileting. Hikers, like most of the world, find that the deep knee squat improves their aim and efficiency during toileting. This is not done as efficiently holding on to anything other than your knees as you complete the task, usually holding a portion of the seat of your pants to keep them out of the target zone.

My understanding was that urine belongs on the ground and not on plant material as deer and other critters will be attracted to the salt. You won't find my urine on your tree.

TMI?? LOL like this thread wasn't too much info to begin with. Seriously though, of course I dig a cathole. Who says you can't dig a hole near a tree trunk??? And anyhow, if the hole is missed, just read rule number 5 from Uncle Wayne. (geesh, and you say I give TMI.....) And who said anything bout holding onto anything?? I could read a book my hands are so free.....Oh, and thanks for not peeing on my tree...
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Default Over 300,000 copies in print!

I just scanned the post here and, maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any mention of the serious book by Kathleen Meyer called "How to S**t in the Woods", available on Amazon and other places.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart
    I just scanned the post here and, maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any mention of the serious book by Kathleen Meyer called "How to S**t in the Woods", available on Amazon and other places.
    It may be serious, but from the excerpt I read, it's hilarious.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

I just thought after reading some of the concerns of the female hikers posting here that this book would be useful. There is a chapter on how to avoid "jaundiced sneakers" but that's as much as I'll say.

Default about those trees...

Especially if a dog is in the vicinity, you might wanna re-think the tree thing. I don't own a dog, but it is my understanding that they prefer to water trees. Dog owners correct me.... Also, as a general trend, what constitutes a "good place" to lay a trail mine? I ask so as to seek out the opposite.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji
    Especially if a dog is in the vicinity, you might wanna re-think the tree thing. I don't own a dog, but it is my understanding that they prefer to water trees. Dog owners correct me.... Also, as a general trend, what constitutes a "good place" to lay a trail mine? I ask so as to seek out the opposite.

I seriously doubt a dog would go offtrail as far as I go to piss on a tree. I doubt the dog population on the trail would be enough to warrant concern in that area. I'm not really concerned about it anyhow. It's not like every tree out there is dripping with pee. I think I'll be ok.

Registered User PecosBackpacker's Avatar
    Images

Smile Proper way to poop

Not to be a party-pooper (pun intended) , but the proper way to drop off the kids is to dig a hole 6-8 inches deep that is at least 200 feet away from the trail, water sourcce, campsite, and the like, drop the pants, and bombs away. Afterwards, you take he TP, toss it in the hole, and piss on it, not only to condense it, thereby reducing he chance of it ever seeing daylight, but the wastes in urine will also accelerate the decomposition process. Take a shorrt stick (2-3 feet should do it), stir, and cover. For more information on proper pooping stances and natural butt-wipes, read Alan & Mikes Really Cool Backpackin' Book by Allen O'Bannon and Mike Clelland.

Lightbulb This worked for me...

Tried a new (?) way this weekend:

Walk up to a tree and spread your legs.
    Wrap one arm around the tree.
    Squat down (no deep knee squats necessary) a bit and lean back.
    Then poop and wipe with your free hand.
    Dig and bury.

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo

Dig and bury.
    Yea - the 'Hug-a-tree' method.

Images

Default Book vs. "Tradition"

All of the comments above make sense reading, and should of course continue for those who want to leave their waste along the trail. Phart's comment reminded me to post a new version of a very old ('01?) post that I had in this forum as a new thread about "How To S h i t In The Woods" for those who are interested in the book.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo

Dig and bury.
    You clean off your hand afterwards, I hope?
    Frosty

I was taught in the Boy Scouts some 30 something years ago to always stab a stick in it after burial so that the next person would not try to use that spot. I think that's still good advice.

A couple years ago I had the pleasure to take a small crew of Scouts out to Philmont Scout Ranch, a 200-sq mile backpacking reserve in the mountains of northern New Mexico. They have 1000's of scouts per year traveling through the backcountry and over the past 60+ years have developed some well-developed policies for managing waste.

Here's what they insist all crews practice:

1. Always pee on a rock, not a tree or the ground. It will dry there and not contaminate the ground. If anything it will only become a salt lick for animals.

2. Where there are privies, do not urinate in the privy; the urine will interfere with the breakdown of solid waste in the privy and cause problems later (find a rock before you go).

A funny story: On day 6 we had reached a remote horse camp in the south end of the ranch. One of the ranchhands had been building something with a pile of rocks. He went for a break and came back to find several scouts watering his pile of building material. The pain on his face when he saw this was hilarious, but then he shook his head and said, "they're just following the rules, can't blame'em!"

Images

Default Sticks, and urine

Well, first of all, I'd rather not walk out behind the shelter and see a lot of sticks pointing up!

Second of all, as a Scoutmaster going back pretty much all of those 30 years, the "stick in the ground" was from the old Scout Handbook, and was to be placed in a dead-out campfire, as evidence that it was out, on the theory that if it wasn't, the stick would identify who left the fire coals. A dumb idea, but, yeah, stuff like that was there. But please...don't pee on a stick you see in a fire ring!

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

I'm unique, just like everyone else........ One Leg's Avatar
    Images

Default Poopie Humor

A boy was meeting his girlfriend's parents for the first time for dinner. After dinner, his girlfriend and her mother left the room to do the dishes, leaving him with the father and the dog Duke, who was sitting underneath the boy's chair. Unfortunately, it was a large dinner and he really had to fart. He stealthily let out a quiet, but audible, fart.
    "Duke!" the dad yelled.

"This is great!" the boy thought. "He thinks the dog is farting!" So he let out another one.

"Duke!" the father barked. The boy thought he was homefree so he let everything out at once in a really loud and smelly fart.

"Duke! Get out of there before the boy s h i t s on you!"
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way, you're a mile away, and you've got his shoes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++