WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Non Hiker Stupid Questions & Comments

What is the most idiotic thing a non backpacker has ever said to you about backpacking? Recent experience after telling a southern relative about hiking AT. His idea of being in the wilderness has always been to visit a city park.

HIM: You mean to tell me yer gonna spend six month of yer life walkin' arount in the forest with all yer ***** on yer back?
    ME: Yeah, just like many people do every year.
    HIM: Mmm...mmm...mmm. Y'all crazy. I bet you do yer damn business right there in the damn woods with the bears, racoons, coyotes and everything.
    ME: Yeah, it goes with backpacking.
    HIM: Do you realize people worked for hundreds a years so they didn't have to do they business in the damn woods? Now you people go an do it anyway. Y'all crazy. Spending half a year walking 'round the forest with yer ***** on yer back doin' yer business with wild animals. Y'all crazy. Mmm...mmm...mmm. Good luck to ya...gonna need it.

He's a good guy but just doesn't see the benefits of backpacking.
    THE LONGER YOU LIVE THE OLDER YOU GET

Hash House Harrier

He's right... "people worked for hundreds a years so they didn't have to do they business in the damn woods", true enough. Other profits of our centuries of progress include Lindsay Lohan, methamphetamine and attention deficit disorder. I'll do my business with the bears and raccoons, thanks.

Images

As a female I'm always asked about hairwashing and showering. Others have commented on not being able to sleep in a bed. These concerns in my opinion as a hiker are ridiculous because it's all part of backpacking and I enjoy it but seems to be an issue for non hikers. Some people just don't get it.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Half way down the Kaibob trail going down to the river at the Grand Canyon I had a woman ask me if they had moved the trail.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Journal Entries
    Images

You need to stop hanging out with professional aging curmudgeons.

Make friends with younger hiking folk don't worry about the lack of understanding.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I will at times laugh at the "naive" questions that I've been asked over the years about backpacking , but I do answer them respectfully.

The most popular misconception about hiking and backpacking in general has to do with safety . Non hikers think we hikers are at greater risk of being killed on the trail in the woods by bear or some lunatic with a knife.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I have to laugh at the "some lunatic with a knife" comment.

When I was a kid, I had friends who lived in "the projects" of a city. There were murders in their neighborhood on a pretty regular basis. But coming out to visit me in the woods, now THAT was scary. They were convinced the woods were full of crazy axe murderers. It all depends what you're used to I suppose.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
    Do you realize people worked for hundreds a years so they didn't have to do they business in the damn woods? Now you people go an do it anyway. Y'all crazy.
    Now that's a quote for the sig line!
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

I live in a cabin with no running water or electricity, so I get those kinds of questions all the time whether we're discussing the trail or not.

I haven't thruhiked but I've talked to non-hiking folks about the AT and how some hikers do it all in one trip. One question: "so he has to carry 6 months worth of provisions on his back?"
    Last edited by Cookerhiker; 02-27-2011 at 09:58.

I told my neighbor about sitting on a rock and eating lunch one day on the trail. . . looking down about halfway thru lunch I realized there was a bear track in the sand right next to the rock. She was wide eyed when she asked "Oh, my! Weren't you afraid it would come back?"

Them: You can't go all by yourself!
    Me: I will not be alone all the time.
    Them: You better bring a gun!

And I have no positive answer for that gun comment. Anyone got a good comeback that sums up the no gun necessary answer?

Journal Entries
    Images

"I don't need a gun, I am always shooting off my mouth!"

Good Morning Skootch! I hope you had your coffee, & don't blow the brew out your nose when you read this.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
    What is the most idiotic thing a non backpacker has ever said to you about backpacking? Recent experience after telling a southern relative about hiking AT. His idea of being in the wilderness has always been to visit a city park.

HIM: You mean to tell me yer gonna spend six month of yer life walkin' arount in the forest with all yer ***** on yer back?
    ME: Yeah, just like many people do every year.
    HIM: Mmm...mmm...mmm. Y'all crazy. I bet you do yer damn business right there in the damn woods with the bears, racoons, coyotes and everything.
    ME: Yeah, it goes with backpacking.
    HIM: Do you realize people worked for hundreds a years so they didn't have to do they business in the damn woods? Now you people go an do it anyway. Y'all crazy. Spending half a year walking 'round the forest with yer ***** on yer back doin' yer business with wild animals. Y'all crazy. Mmm...mmm...mmm. Good luck to ya...gonna need it.

He's a good guy but just doesn't see the benefits of backpacking.
    Bashing southerners, looking for idiotic comments from those who don't or have not hiked (non-hikers), or what!

When I "announced" to family and friends that I would like to hike the AT (thru or bust), not a single comment similar to what I've read thus far in this Thread! Encouragment, yes! Questions in general, yes! Of course, I've been an "outdoorsy" person all my life.....hunter, fisherman, etc., as well as most of my friends! So, being in the outdoors is considered a natural thing!........... most of them cannot relate to a "housing project" or urban setting anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by skooch View Post
    Anyone got a good comeback that sums up the no gun necessary answer?
    how about "I have a brain, I don't need a piece."
    ~Happiness is only real when shared~

Default City vs Country

I would have to say that country people seem to understand backpacking more than city people. I did meet someone from NYC last year and he had been on several backpacking trips. I'm just always amazed how backpacking is a difficult concept to grasp for some people. A fellow backpacker once told me his girlfriend's father asked him where he learned to live off the land like he'd have to when he hiked the AT. People tend to assume rather than ask.
    THE LONGER YOU LIVE THE OLDER YOU GET

The most funny thing I heard from some people on the trail was. Where are all of you people heading to?....we were in Bland Va we said were walking to Maine the the 2 lady's standing next to their car asked how many years would that take us? When we said most do it in 6 months she said no one cant hike to Maine from Virginia in 6 months.

She really got a strange look when we told her we started in Georgia and then asked us several other questions.....she was very nice just didn't have any clue that people did crazy stuff like walking to Maine in 6 months or less.
    "When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

Somewhere in Virginia, I was hiking on a road the trail followed for a bit and a mini van packed with a family from Ohio en route to the Outer Banks drove up behind me.

Them: Do you know where the Appalachian Trail is?
    Me: You're on it.
    Them: Really! WOW! Have you read A Walk in the Woods?
    Me: Yes
    Them: Are you hiking the whole thing?
    Them: Do you want some fresh fruit?
    Them: Can we take a family picture with you while you wear our Uncle's Fleece Vest he forgot last time he visited? We are on our way to the beach to see him and we want to take as many pictures with random people wearing his vest as possible.
    Me: Sure, I haven't showered in about four days but whatever.
    Them (Mother): Okay kids gather round the hiker...say cheese!

Then they wished me luck and went on their way. Love It. Poor Uncle.

Quote Originally Posted by Torch09 View Post
    how about "I have a brain, I don't need a piece."
    Instead of implying that gun owner = idiot, why not just say "I don't personally feel the need to carry a gun."?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Instead of implying that gun owner = idiot, why not just say "I don't personally feel the need to carry a gun."?

Well, you can tell people whatever you like, but this is typically my response when I'm told that I'M an idiot for NOT carrying a weapon.
    ~Happiness is only real when shared~

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++