WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

I had found some quick cooking barley when I was hiking. I did soak it all day though. I always had a little nalgene that I would soak my dinner meat in. not enough water to fully rehydrate it, but enough to get it started. The few times I used barley, I just stuck it inthere with it. For those who like it, it adds nice texture to mush

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    Here's a recipe that was given to me YEARS ago by a couple of thru-hikers that I met at Sages Ravine.

1 part barley
    1 part lentils
    2 parts rice

Cook until tender, the add any flavor bullion cube, dried gravy mix, or dried tomato base (ie - soup mix).

It's an extremely basic recipe that allows the cook to "change it up" into an entirely different-tasting dish just by changing the "sauce". Very filling, and it seems to keep you going through the day. (NO, NOT THAT WAY!) It's veratility is limited only by the cook's imagination. (Note - I don't do a lot of FBC, so I don't know if you could shorten the cooking time by soaking the grains in a zip-loc bag all day. But this WAS a recipe from "back in the day", when EVERYBODY carried a big ol' gas stove.)

I've even topped this concoction with maple syrup and eaten it for breakfast.
    This is good ole' Appalachian Trail Mix described by Ed Garvey in his Appalachian Trail books. I make it at home quite frequently and doctor it up and it is good, but too involved for me to make it while hiking. Of course Ed also carried bricks of Claxton fruit cake, cans of tuna, cooking oil, and eggs while backpacking.

We eat barley at home often - very heart healthy. You can cook it up and then dehydrate it. There is though different types of barley. Traditional pearled barley can take 45 minutes to an hour and 15 minutes to cook up right and then there is quick cooking (still not that fast but less time than traditional).

I wouldn't use it on trail unless I had cooked it home and dehydrated it, but that is me.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

At the international grocery, I've found rolled and flaked barley. It looks like thick-cut old-fashioned oatmeal, and takes just a little longer to cook.

-FA

Images

im prety sure Grape Nuts cereal is made with barley flour. I eat it all the time. 1/2 cup=280 cal.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kreate View Post
    im prety sure Grape Nuts cereal is made with barley flour. I eat it all the time. 1/2 cup=280 cal.
    From Wikipedia - if that can be trusted much:

Despite its name, the cereal contains neither grapes nor nuts. The cereal is actually made from wheat and barley, in later years, whole wheat so that the cereal could boast the nutritional value. Mr. Post believed that sucrose (which he called "grape sugar") formed during the baking process.

As much as I loathe barley (especially pearl barley) I do like Grape Nuts with a some sugar on it or mixed into yogurt.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    I use Quakers Quick Barley in place of rice in many backpacking meals...takes 10 mins to cook.
    Hmmm, good idea. I use barley in a vegetable beef soup I make at home, so I have it in stock.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++