WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Opinions on my sleeping bag choice?

So with just over a week before i hit the trail I am having second thoughts about my sleeping bag choice. Right now I am set with a Montbell 0 degree bag (approximately 3 lbs) which is super warm and comfy but takes up absurd space in my pack (Atmos 50). I have a compression sack for it also. I just did a 4 day shakedown hike and barellly had enough room. Finding room for my food bags was the biggest issue. Im thinking that with longer time between resupply my pack would be maxed out or not big enough.

I was planning on switching to my Montbell 40 degree once it warms up but am now considering doing the 40 degree from the start and using my Sea to Summit bag liner which will add UP TO 25 degrees. (I have yet to use the liner, just purchased it).

Im generally a warm sleeper and will be wearing Patagonia Cap 3 top and Cap 1 bottoms to bed and also have my down jacket for backup.

Do you guys think with a March 3rd start this will be a warm enough combo? Ive taken the 40 degree back down to 35 before with my down jacket and been quite comfortable. Mainly concerned about the Smokys and Grayson Highlands areas..

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks!

Campmor 20* down. $120. 40* bag and liner ain't gonna cut it

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Above 5000 up to over 6000 feet in the Smokies can get pretty cold at night this time of year. I know the current weather looks very mild but I really don't think the cold weather is over permanently yet. You know how you sleep better than I do but personally, I would take a warmer bag. I live in western NC and know how unpredictable the March weather can be. I remember one March when the temps didn't get above freezing the entire month of March here at 1200 feet where I live..I'm talking even daytime highs.

Journal Entries
    Images

You will likely be extremely cold with a 40F bag in Mar. I wouldn't count on a liner adding 25F, but it might, I don't know.

Unless you've tried that system out, I wouldn't do it. One night you might survive. But the majority of nights might be below 40F . . . brrrrrr . . . and don't forget the Smokies.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Might be cheaper to upsize your pack
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Why doesn't the compression bag work better? I'd really go to town on it. A 50L pack should be able to hold everything if you squeeze the crap out of that bag.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

20 degree bag works well for a March start. You can use your 40 degree by mid May. Liner usually doesn't add more than 10 degrees.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    20 degree bag works well for a March start. You can use your 40 degree by mid May. Liner usually doesn't add more than 10 degrees.
    Yeah the reviews really varied. Some said it barely added 10 degrees others said 25 was reasonable. Theres a night coming up when its going to dip into the low 20s. Think ill throw up the tent in the back yard and test the system out.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Yeah the reviews really varied. Some said it barely added 10 degrees others said 25 was reasonable. Theres a night coming up when its going to dip into the low 20s. Think ill throw up the tent in the back yard and test the system out.

That's a good idea. Though you could hit single digits out there. Teens a few times also.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I would agree the the liner will NOT give you any more then ten degress.......you will freeze your arse off. Good luck on your hike!!

Take extra money for a replacement bag at Neels Gap or frequent motel stays when temperatures dip.

Sucks to be cold, I would look at using that great bag to start, no matter what.

What about fitting the comp sack/bag on the outside of your pack, on back or top? Comp sacks usually have lots of ways to tie them onto your pack, just put liner waterproof sack inside comp sack, add bag, compress, seal liner bag with rubber band, good to go. I use kitchen garbage bag size liners, just right size. Experiment, good luck.

Tea, I'd stick with the zero degree bag. I know you must have paid a pretty penny for it. Try one of two things, a compression sack with the pull strips on the side to make it as small as possible or try stuffing the sleeping bag directly in the backpack without a sack. I'm no expert as I'm about to start out my first long hike like yourself, but I read some people say they get more room without using compression sacks at all. You can make it work... just get creative!
    Last edited by NiteRaven; 02-23-2011 at 11:12.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Synthetic bag? (the Montbell?)
    Last edited by skinewmexico; 02-23-2011 at 20:01.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

They are both down. Thanks for all the responses guys. I knew I was going to be pushing it warmth-wise with the liner but thought mayyybe I could squeak by due to my natural warm-bloodedness. I'll be testing it out at the end of this week and go from there. I will most likely take the advice and go with the 0 degree and just try to really compress the heck out of it to make room

Thanks again!

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    I will most likely take the advice and go with the 0 degree and just try to really compress the heck out of it to make room
    Good way to ruin a down bag. Several manufacturers specify not to use a stuff sack smaller than the one they provide (like WM). Buy or borrow a bigger pack for a few weeks, so you're not tempted to skimp on winter gear. And this is coming from one of those guys with a gram scale and spreadsheet.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

I think everyone is overlooking the obvious. If the op did a 4 day shakedown hike and had room for enough food he should be good to go. No reason for having to carry more food that that early and when he does need more it will be warmer weather. Only problem might be late up north but he will be a seasoned hiker then and will figure it out.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Images

You're asking the Atmos 50 to be a winter pack, and it's probably not up to that task. With a winter bag that is very large even in a compression stuff sack (we have a Montbell #0, so I know what it looks like), and winter clothing and food, I would use a larger pack, and swap to a smaller pack when I switch out my winter gear.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Default 15*

I used a 15* in March last year-necessary-switched to 30* in june. you might try the granite gear vapor light-58L-still had to hang my tent on the outrside-but great pack.

I'm Starting around March 5th. I have a WM 20 bag, ....and a liner( not sure if i need it).
    I think i will be plenty comfy. I might use a 0* bag if i was starting in January. I think for someone starting mid-March or later a 20* bag will do. U can carry a light weight liner for a few months for peace of mind and just-in-case. Thats what i am doing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++