WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default What is the most inexpensive way to provide simple GPS tracking for parents?

What is the most simple, inexpensive way for my parents to track me while on the A.T.?

I'm thinking there has to be a small, lightweight device that simply pings my location to a satellite every couple of seconds or minutes (depending on battery life). What might my options be?

I've looked into SPOT but that's fairly expensive at $169.99 + the service fee.

I have a Samsung Wafer phone (about 5 years old) so that would probably only allow GPS tracking under emergency situations.

Journal Entries

Default eXplorist GC

I just found the eXplorist GC for sale on ProMotive.com for $89.99 (retail of $149.99). I'm not sure if this allows 2-way tracking or just works as a GPS device for the user.

Anyone know?

Images

Easiest way for them to "track" you on the AT is to go with you.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

I'd say cut the strings and check in with them once every other week. but that's just me.

Images

When I hike the trail, I will have more important things to worry about than where my parents are.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Spot probably is the least inexpensive/easiest.

If the folks really want their mind at ease and want this ability perhaps you can explain that the SPOT is for them and not you. If they want tracking ability, perhaps they can pony up for the SPOT? Only seems fair...

If that is too expensive, go old school and call the folks every 3-5 days. Phone cards..they work.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

You might be able to just hire the Spot for the duration.
    The new one (Spot II) is smaller. lighter and works well in areas the other did not.
    It will send out at pre arranged intervals an E Mail with a message and a link like this :
    http://www.findmespot.com/mylocation/?id=4I9ed/61.73221/-150.67206
    (got that one today...)
    Franco

People at home that need "peace of mind" are gonna freak out when the signal stops transmitting or the "I'm safe" message that some feel the need to send at nite doesn't go thru.

Call once a week in town or send postcards (which is what I did).

Images

If you have a GPS enabled phone, Google has an app where you can track the phone in the Google Mobile App download. Obviously you need cell service for it to work. We use it on a couple of our drivers (Not being Big Brother, our trucks, our phones). In fact when my buddies and I go downtown, we use it to see where everyone is at.

Images

Oh BTW it is called Google Latitude. But I must agree with former posters, at 22, it may be time to cut the cord.

Images

You can call them from a pay phone or a hostel every few days. Calling cards are great. Or you can carry a cell phone and a charger -- lighter and more useful than a SPOT or similar device IMO. Verizon has pretty good service in the mountains, and you could send a daily text.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Hash House Harrier

Like other posters have said above, a constant satellite ping that tracks you throughout the day is pretty unfeasible. SPOT will do it, but like you've noted, it's going to cost you. There are hikers out there -- particularly in the past few years as coverage has improved -- who take a smartphone with both GPS and 3G data access, so they can blog their location and experiences every so often. If your phone is five years old, you may be due for an upgrade; check with your provider.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Already mentioned ..... Use Google Latitude on your smartphone. Free and easy.

You could tell them that you are hiking the AT with a couple thousand others. You will be about a five minute walk to the nearest road and from there it will be about a three minute drive to the nearest town.
    SweetAss

off subject but the samsung wafer is a bada$$ phone ... ran mine over back in the day and it continued working!!! only got rid of it bc altell and verizon merged ... as for your gps question unless your parents are funding your trip you shouldnt feel pressured to have them know where your at 24/7 while on the trail but they are parents and they are gonna worry

Have your parents post their concerns right here, and ask us for some answers to some of their questions. That won't cost to much.

Journal Entries
    Images

A new service appeared on Verizon's towers called straight talk. Suggest paper maps or the AT check in web site for the parents.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

rock the cell phone and cll them as much as you see fit.. one or twice a week did fine for me somtimes more somtimes less..if u have both the spot and a cell phone thts like carying a rock kinda dnt mke since.. id go with cell phone or phone cards

Use the string phones hanging at the shelters.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    Use the string phones hanging at the shelters.
    ... won't work unless they have string phone service installed at the house.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++