WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Travis - if you upgrade to an Android phone another option instead of Lattitude is My Maps. Although I sort of stopped doing it later in my hike, I did start a "tracking map" where I would try to make a GPS way marker and add a photo to upload. This kept my Mom happy. For all the "cut the cord" stuff people are saying, its important to keep Mom happy and not worried all the time. If you go to my journal, there is a link at the bottom to the map I was using.
    postholer.com/malowitz

Images

I used TrailPhone.net for a 2-week section hike last year. Punch in your nearest mile marker and leave an audio message. A hiker icon appears on a map in your approximate location. Free service and works with all cell phones and pay phones. Donations accepted.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Quote Originally Posted by MkBibble View Post
    ... won't work unless they have string phone service installed at the house.

Like this guy.....

Images

I want to share my experience with my family and would want to share theirs as well not only to know they're safe but to know what they're doing, where they are... like the journals that are posted that most of these "cut the cord" asses read. Share with those who love you and care about you and don't feel bad for doing it - hell feel good that people want to know!

I carry a SPOT Messenger (2nd generation) when I hike. Here's why:

I usually hike alone, and there is nothing wrong with letting family know you're OK. Those who say "cut the cord" probably don't have children to worry about. Also, I'm willing to bet your folks are at least partially sponsoring you. It's perfectly reasonable for them to expect a "check-in", however you do it.

Most critics forget that this devise can sumon help in an emergency. Not just for the user, but for any victim you may find in need of help. It can also be used on a boat, or on the roadside if you are broken down. Think of it as a personal "OnStar".

It will work reliably where cel phones won't. I sent messages every night from the 100mile wilderness in Maine, among other places. Not too bad for an extra 5 oz.

Also, you decide who can, and how often you are tracked. I send one "OK" message each night when I make camp, I still have the same batteries from last year in it. You can activate "constant" tracking each day, but that would use a set of batts about every 2 weeks.

Yes, there are limitations. But I (and my family) like having that extra piece of mind. Just make sure they understand how it works and have a plan for when they fail to recieve messages. Make sure they know that it could get lost, batteries die, or you could activate it for someone else in need. Like any other devise, it's just a tool.
    If they are OK with a phone call or e-mail every few days, then that's fine too.

Images

check in every 3-4 days when you passby towns ... take a phone card in case cell reception is null .... seriously, its the A.T ... not mount everest. My mom knows my skills will get me through whatever it is i would encounter ... You should simply assure them you will be surrounded by fellow hiker's constantly, if you fall ... twist an ankle or worse ... generally even on the slowest of days, you will be passed by another hiker within a few hours.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...06485526057330

Facebook Group - Appalachian trail hiker's

Images

Can't cut the chord, then your not ready to hike.

Baron
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    Can't cut the chord, then your not ready to hike.
    Verily.

When I was 22 I was handling bodies pulled out of the Indian Ocean whilst wearing a "poop-suit" during the Asian Tsunami relief.

The OP is 22. Just call in once a week.
    Last edited by Bucherm; 02-23-2011 at 05:11.
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

Buy them a copy of the guidebook you plan to use and periodically text them your mileage number. It's quick and simple for you, and much easier for them to follow along with a mileage number like 476.3 than a message that says Beartree Gap Trail.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

Images

Really now, I have a 22 yo son. Maybe it's your parents that need to cut the cord. You're a man now, they're gonna have to accept that. I'm a teacher, and I see parents that over coddle their children every day. Does the kids no good at all.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

I am getting the PN-60w by delorme. I do a lot of solo hiking, my wife is always on me to find someone to hike with. Most people I have found have proven highly undependabl. It will work anywhere and is easy on batteries. If you are going to use a Droidx be aware that you will HAVE to charge it at least every 2 days, with the Spot it lasts weeks and uses common aaa bateries. I was told by my wife that if I did the AT that this was mandatory. So I will carry it.

The fun of being a parent of adult children - encourage updates and you're told to cut the cord - don't encourage updates and they think you don't care. My "children" know I appreciate receiving text messages or emails while they are traveling (especially in other countries), but they are free to decide if and when I get any updates. If they were hiking any major trail, I would be following along in the guidebook or on the map with great interest.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

For whatever it is worth, I did the LT at 23 yo and called once every five days roughly. When I did the AT a year later, even less.

Mind you, I have a very protective Mom. (and a Catholic one at that..super-duper guilt powers!)

If she survived, I think yours can, too.

Again, if she absolutely, positively insists on a SPOT/Cell phone updates/carrier pigeon HAVE THEM FOOT THE BILL. Only seems fair.

Now I am older.... Mom gets less calls on my outings. My significant other only asks that A) I call when I am heading back from the trailhead when I am in cell phone range B) I leave a basic itinerary of my planned outing.

She knows at some point fairly soon I'll be taking off again for weeks (if not months anytime soon..but I'm working on that!) and we already agree that a phone call is not necessary except maybe once a week (more remote areas).

It works for us anyway.

I am lucky she is an outdoors person. (And growing up in Cold War-era Eastern Europe, I think the idea of being tracked easily is anathema to her! )
    Last edited by Mags; 02-24-2011 at 22:37.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

I'll be 50 when I hike it this summer. My dad is 84 and would love to go. I'm not checking in - I'm sharing my hike. Should I "cut the cord"? Quit being so ****ing judgemental and just answer the question posed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by endubyu View Post
    I'll be 50 when I hike it this summer. My dad is 84 and would love to go. I'm not checking in - I'm sharing my hike. Should I "cut the cord"? Quit being so ****ing judgemental and just answer the question posed.
    Well, that's an absolutely ridiculous analagy. A parent that is 84, with a 50 year old son is hardly the same as a 22 yo with a parent that wants daily updates just cause they 'worry'. If he wants just answers to a direct question, should have been posted in the straight forward forum.

And just because you put asteriks doesn't change the fact that you curse in a public forum. Nice manners!! You may be 50, but you sure haven't grown up.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

I didn't put asterisks - WB did. I used profanity on the forum cause arrogant self righteous ******** piss me off sometimes. OP asked a simple question asking for help so I reiterate spare us all the judgmental bs and answer the question in a helpful manner. ty

Images

Get over yourself endubyu, "checking in' is not the same as 24/7 GPS monitoring.

Baron
    Images

I didn't put asterisks - WB did. I used profanity on the forum cause arrogant self righteous ******** piss me off sometimes. OP asked a simple question asking for help so I reiterate spare us all the judgmental bs and answer the question in a helpful manner. ty
    People did. I guess you didn't like the "You're 22, you don't need to have mom and dad monitor 24/7" response.

(FWIW I like Couscous suggestion, the OP almost certainly has a cell that he can use to text mileage every now and again.)
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

I have to agree with the * guy. I'm starting my thru in a couple of weeks and there are people at home that need to know that I'm OK. Just because you want to give family and friends a little piece of mind or want to share your adventure with them does not make you some kind of candy ass. I'm old enough to do what I want, but while I'm away my better half is obligated to take over my duties as well as those she normally has. If by cut the cord you mean walk away from your responsibly to others well I guess that tells us something about you doesn't it. My answer to the question is SpotII 4.5ozs.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

If they're really concerned, explain what the SPOT does and see if they'll buy you one and activate it.

As far as "cutting the cord" - advice, especially on internet forums, is worth what you pay for it.

I don't know if you need to cut the cord or not but I do know that life works a lot better when I choose my battles. Sometimes I do things that I don't want to do, or that don't make sense because it's more important for someone else to get what they want than it is to me.

You can also create future goodwill by letting the other guy win from time to time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++